Gamespot 'Dubious Honors' Awards - what is your choice?

txa1265

SasqWatch
I was browsing Gamespots 2006 awards, and came across a page where I couldn't make a choice - Dubious Honors. Look at the choices:
- Bad Console-to-PC Ports
- Patching Console Games
- Paying for Unlocks/Micropayments
- PS2-to-PSP Hand-Me-Downs
- Release-Day Shortages (Games, Consoles, Accessories)

As a PSP fan I can't stand the crap that constantly lands on that platform (now we're starting to get bad PC ports as well - like Brothers In Arms). But the bugginess of console games starting to gain acceptance only seems to be making PC bugginess worse ...

Tough call. I'm leaning toward your "acceptance of bugfests" option. Infested releases were bad enough on the PC--I can imagine how frustrating that would be on an unpatchable console.

I can imagine how frustrating that would be on an unpatchable console.

The thing is - the XBOX started the trend of the 'patchable console' ... theX360 and PS3 are completely patchable, with local hard drives and everything! That was the beginning of the end.

The thing is - the XBOX started the trend of the 'patchable console' ... theX360 and PS3 are completely patchable, with local hard drives and everything! That was the beginning of the end.

Another one for posterity.
The thing is, mickey, console games have always been buggy, just like pc games; but it's only with the xbox with its hard drive and online connection that console games have really started to get patched -- or updated, as they euphemistically put it.

The console games always shipped in a much better state than PC games, in the old days it'd be near impossible to find a serious bug in them.... these days things are getting worse on the console front too though.

Another one for posterity.
The thing is, mickey, console games have always been buggy, just like pc games; but it's only with the xbox with its hard drive and online connection that console games have really started to get patched -- or updated, as they euphemistically put it.

Mickey? :S

Anyway, my knowledge on consoles is mostly anecdotal since aside from the Cube we've never had one. But I was led to believe thesame thing as GothicGothicness mentions.

Something to keep in mind though (without going into any detail - I'll leave that up to you guys) is that with PCs you have so many variations such as countless numbers of graphics cards, different qualities of sound and memory cards, different levels of operating systems, etc. A console, on the other hand, is the same the world (or at least the nation) around. I'm speaking of consoles on a brand-by-brand and generation-by-generation basis, of course.

Anyway, my choice would have to be "acceptance of bugfests" as well. I don't have dial up, but that sort of crap must frustrate the hell out of anyone who does. Paying for unlocks/micropayments would be a strong second because it adversely affects online play for me and many others I'm sure.

Not being a console gamer I can only sit back with a sense of schadenfreude ... but this whole microtransaction thing *will* bite PC gamers eventually - perhaps it already has with all of the Oblivion stuff. ANyway, check out this stuff:

If you only take away one thing from this topic, let it be the fact that if the game content you bought from the marketplace was exactly 108.00 KB, you just got suckered into buying a "key" to unlock content that is already sitting on your DVD!

Downloadable Keys that unlock content ON THE DISC that you can ONLY get by PAYING MORE MONEY

Alaskan Adventures
Alaskan Bonus Pack 1 (100 points)
108.00 KB

Cabela's Safari
Safari Bonus Animal (150 points)
108.00 KB

Chromehounds
Total price of all downloadable parts keys (1800 points)
The keys are 108.00 KB each

College Hoops 2K7
2K ReelMaker for College Hoops 2K7 (400 points)
108.00 KB

LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
LEGO Star Wars Characters (200 points)
108.00 KB

Rapala TOurnament Fishing!
California Delta Bonus Level (150 points)
108.00 KB

Samurai Warriors 2
Total price to buy horses and hire people not otherwise available (580 points)

The Godfather
Favor Pack - 3 Favor Missions (250 points)
108.00 KB

Viva Pinata
Accessory Pack 1 (80 points)
Accessory Pack 2 (80 points)
Accessory Pack 3 (80 points)
Accessory Pack 4 (80 points)

TOTAL COST for content on the disc that is ONLY accessible by PAYING MORE MONEY
3950 MS points ($49.38)

Downloadable keys that COST MONEY to unlock content you could unlock by ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME

Need for Speed: Carbon
Total price for all the available content keys (7320 points)

The Godfather
The Don Collection (800 points)
or if you buy each thing separately 1265 points

TOTAL COST for content on the disc that you could actually play to get
8120 MS points ($101.50)

FREE Downloadable Keys that unlock content ON THE DISC

Ridge Racer 6
36 different cars

Chromehounds