Runemaster - New Turn-Based RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Paradox Interactive has announced a new Viking-themed turn-based RPG called Runemaster. Here is the the new trailer and some details.

Runemaster is an RPG set in a fantasy realm based in the rich, majestic traditions of Norse mythology, casting each player in the role of a unique champion in a time of chaotic upheaval. Procedural maps and quests will ensure that no two playthroughs are identical, allowing players to tell a saga that is uniquely their own. Explore vast vistas through the six worlds of Norse myth, command troops in tactical combat, and define your champion through the choices they make.
More information.

Paradox - Check
Rpg - Check
Vikings - Check

It's official. I'm hooked. Now when is it coming out?

Stop it!
Just stop it!
My wallet can't take it anymore.
My backlog of games is fulllllll too.

Jeez, never though that I would be complaining about too many RPGs being made.

I'm happy that turn-based RPGs on the PC are actually getting made again. I have my eye on this game, and can't wait to play it.

My only complaint is why chose Viking mythology again. At this rate it will become like dragons, and zombies. Overused and tiresome.^^

Last edited:
I donno, all that video really shows was the graphs style. I like Ck2 and Paradox as a developer/publisher, but I don't know how well Paradox would do with a full on RPG.

Cautiously optimistic for now, I'll definetly be keeping my eyes out for more news on this title.

What I like the most is that Paradox games are VERY moddable, and the modding community is very active, so I can foresee very good mods only a few weeks after the game is released. This should be the gift that keeps on giving!

No one forces you to buy the dlc, and they add parts of it with every patch for free. So keep being negative nancys. Especially you joxer.;)

I look forward to this game.:)

I am thrilled by this news. I'm very interested to see how Paradox handles an RPG. I'm sure at the very least it will be a complex game.

Ok tell me how a procedurally generated quest isn't going to suck ass? It's pretty obvious. Hand craft it or don't bother. "Endless replay" never delivers.

I'm just going to wait until they explain that further and we'll see how it's implemented. It could turn out to be good, too early to say.

Ok tell me how a procedurally generated quest isn't going to suck ass? It's pretty obvious. Hand craft it or don't bother. "Endless replay" never delivers.

And yet, some people endlessly replay the "hand crafted" (and yet somehow dull and unimaginative) content. Depite everything being the same on the hundredth go as it was on the first.

I played plenty of games with procedurally generated quests, some with only that and no "storyline" even. I do not think that they "suck ass".

I'm happy that turn-based RPGs on the PC are actually getting made again. I have my eye on this game, and can't wait to play it.

My only complaint is why chose Viking mythology again. At this rate it will become like dragons, and zombies. Overused and tiresome.^^

I agree, I'd love to see some Greek mythology RPG's come out. Game looks promising though.

Daggerfall is one of my most favorite games and it was procedurally generated.

Seems interesting though Paradox's DLC policy has landed them in my "Complete Edition only" category. Regardless, curious to see how this pans out. If it does well, I wonder if we can expect them to pump out RPGs on a regular basis too, that could be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom