Which classic RPG to play?

I tried everything I could think of to get W&W running on my system about a year or so ago. Spent almost an entire day trying to get it to run on WinXP with no luck.

I tried everything I could think of to get W&W running on my system about a year or so ago. Spent almost an entire day trying to get it to run on WinXP with no luck.

After som work I ran it just fine few years back on a winxp. Was the problem somhow related to graphics driver? I had 8800GTS back then. Not sure if it would work with my current 580 though.

After som work I ran it just fine few years back on a winxp. Was the problem somhow related to graphics driver? I had 8800GTS back then. Not sure if it would work with my current 580 though.

Not sure what the root of the problem was. I remember finally getting it to run without crashes, but something was very wrong with the mouse. I couldn't interact with items or characters.

What uberhorse? The horse you rode around on? I liked it. Made getting around quicker especially in those large areas.

If I had to complain about W&W it would be those killer plants from hell. They were too powerful for characters just entering that forest area. Made becoming a ninja or samurai very difficult.

I never had problems with that ring. The patch fixed it.

Other than that and a few others minor complaints I really like that game. I like it so much that I will spend half an hour or so fiddling around with it to get it to run on my latest rig.

Dungeon Lords is meh. It's fun for some mindless action and the muti-player was great to play with people back home. Although too many problems with it.

I just wish he had actually finished that game and hadn't forced everyone to buy the collectors edition if they wanted the latest patch. Oh well, at least W&W is fun.

Oh yes, the most powerful creatures in the game are not any of the bosses, its the random encounter plants in the maze area.

I think they call them salads. Most obviously some sort of error but it actually gave the game some cool flavor.

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE ITS A SALAD!

So that whole little maze area is sort of like pac man you just run away. You dont fight them you actually take a whole bunch of potions just to survive their range attacks.

there are a couple common problems and one of them has something do with nvidia cards

ironworks has a wizards and warriors forum that gets you by the problem areas.

There is at least one more common bug somewhere I just dont remember it, its been a few years.

So that whole little maze area is sort of like pac man you just run away. You dont fight them you actually take a whole bunch of potions just to survive their range attacks.
I guess the game was too hard-coded because somthing like that sounds like an easy fix. Somone should push them to release the sourcecode for the game. Threaten them with the salads or somthing.

I guess the game was too hard-coded because somthing like that sounds like an easy fix. Somone should push them to release the sourcecode for the game. Threaten them with the salads or somthing.
Activision didnt support the game

So the many little bugs just stayed there. The developer volunteered the one patch

the bug about the salads, and it was a bug definitely was in the poison damage. You can see it in some other monster in the game. Its just that you have no resistance to it unlike fire ice or whatever else is in the game.

The things spit poison, when they hit you die and you take lots of damage.

On the opposite, they are super vulnerable to fire so you exterminate them when you get powerful enough to fireball them from a distance

theyre in the dungeons somewhere later in the game too but much more manageable.

Its one of many bugs but its all manageable.

Im getting some more memories of dungeon lords now.

A highlight I would say is humorous goblin villages.

There is SO much more interaction with npcs in wizards and warriors than in dungeon lords.

in dungeon lords npcs dont even move they just stand there, you dont talk to them much you just buy things and get clues.

Wizards and warriors is a much more complete game

Do you have a Nvidia card (8+ series) ? If so, only way to run W&W is to set the game to software mode, I'm afraid. And do no forget to set the compatibility mode to Windows 98. Also install unofficial patch (1b) and try to find a nocd crack (I can provide you if you want) to avoid any cd protection incompabilities. And last but not least convert the town avi files with Virtualdub.

Im getting some more memories of dungeon lords now.

A highlight I would say is humorous goblin villages.

There is SO much more interaction with npcs in wizards and warriors than in dungeon lords.

in dungeon lords npcs dont even move they just stand there, you dont talk to them much you just buy things and get clues.

Wizards and warriors is a much more complete game

Main strength of W&W is the dungeon design. At first I assumed W&W is like M&M games:eek:pen world, non-linear. But after I realized it's a linear game I was quite disappointed. But still a decent game if you like old school RPGs.

Definitely the dungeon design and the puzzles.

Very similar to a might and magic 7 to me as far as exploration. You can go anywhere but if you go into the wrong dungeon you die. If you go into a dungeon later its too easy.

Do you have a Nvidia card (8+ series) ? If so, only way to run W&W is to set the game to software mode, I'm afraid. And do no forget to set the compatibility mode to Windows 98. Also install unofficial patch (1b) and try to find a nocd crack (I can provide you if you want) to avoid any cd protection incompabilities. And last but not least convert the town avi files with Virtualdub.
oh ya thats the bug

the towns are avi files, and you need a codec thats not free or something.

oh ya thats the bug

the towns are avi files, and you need a codec thats not free or something.

You need VirtualDub for that. It's a free video converter program and it's not so difficult to convert video files.

Oh ya I know
Im just putting in the reason also.

I dont know if any other games had this problem but the town was an avi file, and it ran in your windows media player. but sometime after the game was written the codec it was recorded in changed from included in wmp to you have to buy it.

I even remember what it was now, the indeo codec. I do remember some other games with the problem but they were really really old games like way older than this one. I believe some gold box games.

Ya there is an awesome snake temple dungeon, an awesome pyramid. Its a very good game warts and all better than many others.

I'm not sure how they'll hold up today...

But as a kid I really the DnD games. Start with Champions of Krynn then when you win you can transfer your party to Deathknights then Dark Queen.

Also, pools to curse to secrets.... Curse of the Azure bonds is very much a classic in my mind.

I'm not sure how they'll hold up today…

But as a kid I really the DnD games. Start with Champions of Krynn then when you win you can transfer your party to Deathknights then Dark Queen.

Also, pools to curse to secrets…. Curse of the Azure bonds is very much a classic in my mind.
Pools was first and Im currently playing that series. Have finished pools, hillsfar and almost curze. Theyre okay I guess even if a bit unpolished here and there. The turnbased battle has aged good. Its still interesting.

If you can handle gold box
the next step in the series after about 12 gold box games was dark sun.

It is one step between gold box and infinity engine.

These are some of the better crpgs i have replayed recently:

Pool of Radiance
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Hillsfar
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Pools of Darkness

Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
The Dark Queen of Krynn

Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier

Eye of the Beholder