Gothic First time playing Gothic

Which side attacks? ;)
So you're saying left/right attacks and combos including them (like those taught in G1) are not worth the hassle in G2?
Eh? LMB didn't do that for me. Maybe the NA version was different?
I'm talking about how G1 did things. LMB triggered an "action mode" and WASD dictated and performed the action. In combat WASD performed the attacks, in trading the direction you wanted your item to go etc in lockpicking, ladder climbing and so on.

So you're saying left/right attacks and combos including them (like those taught in G1) are not worth the hassle in G2?
We're talking about the "new" combat controls, not the classic mode. Both could be toggled in the .ini.

I don't remember it precisely though. I think the forward attack was mapped to the LMB and there was a manual target lock button somewhere.

I'm talking about how G1 did things. LMB triggered an "action mode" and WASD dictated and performed the action. In combat WASD performed the attacks, in trading the direction you wanted your item to go etc in lockpicking, ladder climbing and so on.

I didn't know that LMB triggered an action mode. I thought you had to use CTRL + WASD to perform your actions. I played the whole game with CTRL mapped to one of my mouse buttons but never once used the LMB in combat.

We're talking about the "new" combat controls, not the classic mode. Both could be toggled in the .ini.

I don't remember it precisely though. I think the forward attack was mapped to the LMB and there was a manual target lock button somewhere.
So the "new" combat didn't feature left/right attacks?

I didn't know that LMB triggered an action mode. I thought you had to use CTRL + WASD to perform your actions. I played the whole game with CTRL mapped to one of my mouse buttons but never once used the LMB in combat.
Hmmm, obviously I could be wrong on this but I wouldn't be surprised if they both performed the same function. So are you saying that all you used the mouse for was camera movement + walking direction?

Hmmm, obviously I could be wrong on this but I wouldn't be surprised if they both performed the same function. So are you saying that all you used the mouse for was camera movement + walking direction?

Yeah, basically. I had a primary button on my gaming mouse mapped to CTRL and I used that button + WASD to perform actions.

I just checked, and yes.. LMB and Ctrl are the exact same function. I've always just used LMB though.

Yes. What confused me was the phrase "lock target". I was thinking you meant a target lock similar to what's used in a lot of 3rd-person games. Like Dark Souls for example where you press the right analog stick (or keyboard equivalent) to lock on to one enemy until it's defeated or you unlock from it.

Meh, just ignore the new setup and use the one from Gothic 1. Combat is almost identical, but smoother. There's really no need to make adjustments once you're used to the combat in Gothic.

That's one way to answer my question I guess :p
I remember that I could keep G2's control scheme and map the side attacks to some other keys, but that felt pretty unintuitive since those keys couldn't be AD so it was either the arrow keys or the numpad, maybe now I should map them to the mouse's side buttons?

So basically no one used left/right attacks with G2s controls? Gorath? JDR?

The only time I ever used a mouse playing Gothic 1 was to look around lol.

Fluent I've read your entire thread and totally envy your experience. I vividly remember my first play-through. My GAWD I made it tough on myself. At the time I didn't know what a quest was, so I just did the best I could....reload after reload after reload LMAO. One of the FIRST places I went was into the orc area...with a dam weak bow. I found positions where I could fire/kill the orc dogs and orcs without taking damage. Then loot the bodies and sell to get more arrows :p Looking back at it, it was a h00t!

You can search my posts here. I've played some weird go-throughs. The no reload was by far the hardest....by a LONG way.

Since you have completed G1, go search youtube for TheWonderer and watch some of the amazing stuff that can be done in the game.(Don't watch his other vids until you do a play-through first. It will spoil your game)

JDR13, I know your Chromanin comment was rightfully aimed at me and Wulf :p

Hey guys, im new here. I bought Gothic CD when it first came out and i remeber it would run on my pc at the time and later i lost the cd somewhere, just came up on the game today while looking to play some old but good game, so far it reminds me of evil islands from akella in its atmosphere quality, im positive ill enjoy this game as well as G2 :) Decided to do it properly the first time around with res packs and patches as well as reading up in forums :) Will let you guys know how i get on :)

Welcome to the boards, Gints

The Gothic series is my favorite RPG series. From a gameplay perspective, G1 through G3 still hold up today. Obviously the Graphics in G1 are outdated, but I just finished G3 earlier this year and I thought the graphics (via the modded version) held up for the most part to todays standards.

But its the game play that is a winner here. Don't let the game play interface defeat you. It does take some getting used to but it's totally worth sticking with it. I have the worst hand eye coordination for gaming probably since when cavemen rubbed sticks together to fire up their internet. But I stuck with it and as I said at the beginning:

The Gothic series is my favorite RPG series.

The usual hint about the controls:
Forget about intuition. Whatever you wanna do, highlight the relevant item or NPC and
1) try [CTRL or LMB + forward]. If that doesn't produce the desired result
2) download JemyM's FAQ and and look up the controls for this system.

That way learning the controls takes no longer than 15 minutes.

Thanks guys, very kind, i will do just that, atm doing some hard gothic gaming and loving it :)

Another thing - maybe you can advise me on which mods and stuff to use, so far i have hi res pack, patch for bugs and fullscreen border fix installed tho the border is still there, just white in color now and resolution is 1080x1024 32 maybe i can improve on that since my system is pretty good and is there a camera mod? it seems a bit sluggish, thanx in advance :)

The only Gothic I played with mods was G3, which is unplayable unmodded. I'm not saying you have to go that way. In particular the unmodded G1 game is hard to take for most. But the gameplay in the Gothic series is so immersive, you'll hardly care while you're playing the game.

Another thing - maybe you can advise me on which mods and stuff to use, so far i have hi res pack, patch for bugs and fullscreen border fix installed tho the border is still there, just white in color now and resolution is 1080x1024 32 maybe i can improve on that since my system is pretty good and is there a camera mod? it seems a bit sluggish, thanx in advance :)

The sluggishness (is that a word?) is probably coming from the framerate cap. For some reason Gothic is still locked below 30 FPS.

You'll need the Player Kit first if you haven't installed it already:

Player Kit (required to enable mods)

Then you can install the FPS Fix:

Gothic FPS Patch

Quote from Steam forums for instructions:

"For future reference for anyone else wanting to fix this all you need to do is install the Player Kit and then apply the GothicFps patch by running it and pointing it to GothicMod.exe (found in the System subfolder of wherever you installed Gothic to). If you are using Vista or Windows 7 you will need to launch GothicFps as an administrator by right-clicking it and choosing "Run as administrator"."

I always thought it was weird when i'd get in certain areas and the game would slow down and get choppy when this game isn't pushing a lot of polys and then I installed this, and said "aaaaaah, much better!". Running at 1600x900x32 with no issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom