Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Very Important List of PC Games #3

It's Quintin Smith. And yay for mentioning System Shock 2 and Jagged Alliance 2 as well.

I don't get the continued praise for Psychonauts and Beyond Good & Evil from PC gaming journalists. They are very console-style games and they weren't even appreciated on that platform. I own them, got them cheap in Steam sales, but I never played them past a quick checking out.

Anyway, that's me.

P.S. Quintin is still my nemesis for his New Vegas review.

I don't get the continued praise for Psychonauts and Beyond Good & Evil from PC gaming journalists.
They were great games on a console, and they were great games on a PC. I don't know why shouldn't a PC journalist praise it.

Beyond Good and Evil is one of the best games of all time. Sorry, but `console - style` is an empty buzzword - I play videogames, sod the format -someone makes them for the radio, I`ll try it too ;)

Psychonauts was Tim Schafer`s take on pure platformers - it was great design/mood wise but jumping is not my favourite mechanic so this one gathers dust.

As for the list, pretty standard fare - but the last entry, Pathologic, made me rather interested - that game sounds really great....

I own them, got them cheap in Steam sales, but I never played them past a quick checking out.

Do yourself a favor and play through beyond good and evil.... it is a SUPERB game!

They were great games on a console, and they were great games on a PC. I don't know why shouldn't a PC journalist praise it.

I just mean that if console gamers don't appreciate those I doubt many PC gamers would...

I just mean that if console gamers don't appreciate those I doubt many PC gamers would…
Well both games flopped financially, so yeah, gamers didn't appreciate them back then. But the critics praised them, and after a few year the games have reached a cult status.

Beyond Good and Evil is one of the best games of all time. Sorry, but `console - style` is an empty buzzword - I play videogames, sod the format -someone makes them for the radio, I`ll try it too ;)

I don't really consider myself an all-around "gamer." I mean Farmville is a game... WoW is a game... Gaming is a very eclectic medium right now and there are so many differences between genres that it's not like movies where you just like movies and they're all roughly the same thing... games are extremely different from one platform to another, or one genre to another.

I'm a PC gamer... a PC RPG, FPS and point and click adventure gamer, to be even more precise.

All that said I was not meaning to say that "console style" games like Psychonauts should not be on PC, the more PC games the better in my opinion. I just meant that no one bought Psychonauts when it came out even on the consoles, so the PC interest must be amazingly low since it's a genre that is much less popular on the PC. Despite that PC journalists keep pushing the game at everyone talking about how awesome it is... I just find it odd is all.

I just meant that no one bought Psychonauts when it came out even on the consoles, so the PC interest must be amazingly low since it's a genre that is much less popular on the PC. Despite that PC journalists keep pushing the game at everyone talking about how awesome it is… I just find it odd is all.

The fact that it sold poorly has no relation to it`s quality. How many other great games sunk despite being amazing? So I don`t see why journos - for once doing a good job ;) -shouldn`t promote it on PC. Especially seeing as it was written by Tim Schafer, a PC Gaming Legend.

Man himself says that judging by digital sales (and loads of pirated copies) it deserves a sequel. So it didn`t do so bad after all.

This article is weak.

It's one thing to hang your ass out there a bit, using your own critical thinking and opinion and put out a top 5 game list or even a top 10 list.

But slapping a list together of dozens of games and writing a brief summary might make for a tittilating stroll down memory lane, but the point of it all is sort of lost on me.

And after listing dozens and dozens of games in his list, how could UU be omitted? Or did I just miss it? Too lazy to go back and re-check.

Great list and nearly all of the games there are must play who considers him/herself a PC gamer.

DoctorN: You are confusing "what you like" with "good". There are many good things (games and otherwise) that I don't particularly like and there are many things that I like that are not very good.

I don't see how you can say that since I never said once that they were bad games. I simply said they didn't find an audience and that PC journalists are an odd fit to be trying to get the games recognized is all.

Anyway, I can see a lot of fans of the games aren't going to let it go unless I say they're "OMG AMAZING BEST GAMES EVER" so I'm not going to continue talking about it.

Back
Top Bottom