Shadowrun Returns - Review Roundup #5

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Perhaps one day we will have one too, but for now I'll just add these 3 reviews to the long list of reviews that we already covered for Shadowrun Returns.

Destructoid, 8.5

As a standalone experience, Dead Man's Switch is a delight: a clever but short whirlwind tour of the oft depressing world of the shadowrunner. It is not, however, the entirety of Shadowrun Returns. Instead, it merely serves as an example of what can be crafted with the complex editor tool that all players have access to.
GamesRadar, 3.5/5

It’s been awhile since the last traditional Shadowrun experience, so it’s great to see this one bring back the classic feel of the series and updates it to fit this generation. It may not last long and it may have issues with its save feature, but the time spent adventuring in this futuristic vision of Seattle will be well worth any frustrations you may encounter. If you’re looking for an engaging throwback to a classic that features a great story, missions, and a fun combat system, Shadowrun Returns won’t disappoint.
RPGCodex

I find it hard to provide a verdict for Shadowrun Returns. On one hand, it has clear flaws, some that are even glaring. It’s short as hell, and a playthrough will take you something around 13 hours tops. Its replay value is a bit questionable. It’s more of a fast-food kind of deal than an actual full-scale game.

On the other hand, you have to be fair and keep in mind the game's limited budget in the context of its flaws. Not to mention that the peanuts this game costs offer you a tremendous ratio of bang for your buck. There's also the prospect of fan-made scenarios coming out from the editor. And, finally, what I guess has the most (albeit subjective) say on the matter, is that I simply fragging enjoyed my time with the game. I'm keeping my fingers crossed tightly for the upcoming official campaign in Berlin that's supposed to have a more open world and more side missions.
More information.

Have I missed it? Has there been a lower review than 7/10 or 3.5/5?

A couple 60-ish's out of 100 on metacritic.

Pretty solid, and very promising for what kind of (almost assuredly) greater reception games like Wasteland 2 and Torment will get.

Last edited:
beat it sunday, excellent game and love the engine. cannot wait for more!

"On the other hand, you have to be fair and keep in mind the game's limited budget in the context of its flaws"

I disagree. Good games are good games. Lots of low budget and indie games get made that are good games even without all of the graphical glitz of corporate bloat.

There are indie shops that are one or a tiny number of people doing crazy good games. Minecraft comes to mind. Cube World is 2 people and I doubt they have ever had much of a budget and the production values of that game in alpha are thru the roof. And so on.

I'm trying, really trying to get thru SRR but it just puts me to sleep.

The UI is clunky and kind of just sucks. Dunno if it's the tablet design influence or just suck.

Inability to save when you want to in a genre that usually provides it is inexcusable. I guess if you're loving the game it's not a problem but I can barely get thru one "scene" without feeling like I'm going to pass out.

Looks like someone came up with a work around for the save system. I haven't tested it, nor will I have time for a couple days, but IF it works in a more complicated setting, it should solve one of the most complained about issues of the game.

Forum post
http://steamcommunity.com/app/234650/discussions/0/864975026736155692/

Actual Workshop file
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=164782118&searchtext=

Also, I remember in some thread someone mentioned guns couldn't be added/edited. Seems that might not be true.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=165385857&searchtext=

Back
Top Bottom