Am I being paged?

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO
I just took a quick peek here, and was surprised to see I and my big mouth are being discussed. Since the thread(s) are already a bit tangled and Zakhal specifically mentioned a new thread, here it is.

So if there's something you want my oracular pronouncements on, fire away. Sacrifice a goat for extra effect (black ones are best). I'll keep an eye on this thread for the next few days and do my best to answer.

I cannot find any black goat !

Welcome old friend. From memory, I began calling for your input in a thread which was discussing politics, attitudes and other stuff in Finland. Unfortunately, I've forgotten what it was, which happens a lot when you get to my age!! :)

You've been missed, ya damn commie.

Any thoughts on the impending implosion of the Euro nanny states? You touched on it on your blog, but haven't gotten back to it in a while.

I tried to comment on your good people / bad people photo posts many moons ago, but the system patently refused to allow it. I was going to question your positioning of MLK considering your stance on Mandela.

Welcome back PJ. Great to see you again!

@dte: I don't think the nanny states are in much danger of implosion. The Danes just voted in a government that ran on a platform of higher taxes and better services, for example, and I don't see any signs of people flocking to the "gubmint is evil" banner much anywhere else either. Greece is in real danger and Italy is looking a bit dodgy, but neither are really what you mean by nanny states. More like corrupt oligarchies, with governments that make yours look pretty good.

The union itself is in trouble, and I'm starting to believe it may actually split, or be drastically reorganized. This is happening from both top down and bottom up. On the one hand, there's the financial crisis that has exposed the euro's underlying structural fault, and the inability of the EU governance to face the facts and find a solution to it. On the other hand is a rise of Euroskeptic populism in lots of European countries, which makes it even more difficult to find a solution to it.

In my opinion, the main point now should be safeguarding democracy in Greece. It would really suck if it fell back to military rule. That means that it should go into controlled default ASAP, the exposed banks should take their lumps, and the countries whose regulators allowed the banks to get that exposure should backstop them. The current bailout which makes everyone pay, regardless of whether their banks took on Greek debt, isn't fair. And also the democracies in those countries won't accept it. This is one of the main reasons for the success of our left-populist/nationalist/Euroskeptic party, the (True) Finns, for example: our banks have very little exposure, yet the bailout plan has us as one of the bigger per-capita payers. Not fair.

So what next? Walp, either the EU countries come up with a plan that's tolerable to both the crisis countries and the countries bailing them out, and actually resolves the crisis without kicking the can further down the road, or we'll see it unravel. In the former case, I would expect the EU to take a big leap towards federalism. In the latter, I'd expect at least the single currency area to be split. And in the current political climate, a United States of Europe would be a really, really hard sell in the member countries.

The technically best proposal I've seen (IMO of course) is one where the Eurozone is split horizontally. What used to be the Hansa countries plus Finland and perhaps the Baltics would adopt one currency—say, call it the Thaler—, and the Mediterranean countries would adopt another. Call that one the Ducat. Germany would be the leading Thaler country, and France the leading Ducat country. The Ducat would depreciate against the Thaler, which ought to help with the massive internal trade imbalance we have. If we could retain most of the other EU structures, in particular the Schengen free mobility arrangement, this might not work out too bad.

And I think we do need a mechanism for controlled exit from the Euro, and the EU itself. The EU is a unique experiment in history, an empire with no emperor and voluntary membership, and countries are *still* scrambling to join. It's only worth keeping if it's worth joining and staying in. An exit mechanism would strengthen it, not weaken it.

Well, we had our disagreements - but I always found your point of view and approach interesting. Aside from that, I welcome all, regardless of their approach ;)

Well, perhaps not ALL - but most....

WB!

Welcome back

As usual I find your analysis a bit drastic:p Greek democracy will be as (dis-)functional as it has been for decades. Greece resembles India or Sri Lanka in that the political parties are centered around semi-feudal clans who use power for patronage. If there is a break it will be towards populism more than anything.

Democracy is in danger in exactly one EU country, and that is a Hungary where a party with 2/3 majority is rewriting the constitution, eroding the judiciary, and undermining freedom of the press.

Any thoughts on the impending implosion of the Euro nanny states? You touched on it on your blog, but haven't gotten back to it in a while.

There is none. It's not the "worst" nanny states that are imploding (they are actually doing better than the US and other Euro countries). There is a wide divergence in economic policies among the problem states, from laissez faire (Ireland, Iceland and to some extent the UK) to overregulated but not nanny-statish economies. There are two problems, bubbles in otherwise well managed economies (Ireland was considered an economic role model a few years ago, Spain has a low deficit and low debt) and crappy productivity that has been "hidden" by the Euro (Greece and Portugal).

The grand welfare states in Scandiweenia, Germany, and Benelux have fairly sound economies compared to both the rest of the EU and to the US. I believe most of them enjoy both lower (if not by much) unemployment rate and higher growth rate than the US.

The grand welfare states in Scandiweenia, Germany, and Benelux have fairly sound economies compared to both the rest of the EU and to the US. I believe most of them enjoy both lower (if not by much) unemployment rate and higher growth rate than the US.

Germany has a few problems, too.

- Practically no inland markets functioning so well that they could stabalize the whole country. It means nothing but : If the (almost too strong) German export orientedness breaks away, because other countries cannot buy from Germany anymore, then Germany will have a real and serious problem !

- Too many low-budget jobs which drive more and more people into poorness - and even the niddle class is right now becoming more and more afraid of slipping into poorness ! - This is not a joke, because every higher debts can actually do so ! (Take for example health care because of accidents, or losing money because of banks "gambling" too much with it !)

- Another problem is not quite seen by the public right now : The fear of "Altersarmut", becoming poor because of being too old - and getting too few money from pensions.

Other problems are :

- Lack of properly advanced professionals (the so-called "Facharbeitermangel"). German politiciand and the business want to "import" foreigners for this - forgetting that this problem was caused by themselves (politicians & business) because when time were hard, no-one was training professionals - just because for cost reduction.

- During the "good times", profits wrre never used to invest or to pay debts back. I havd no idea where the money went to instead, but I imagine the pockets of the suits (business) and into more prestigious projects (politics).

Back
Top Bottom