Mass Effect 2 - PS3 Version Gold, Uses ME3 Engine

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The BioBlog has news the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 has gone Gold. They also have a podcast talking about this edition, including the explosive news that that this version uses the Mass Effect 3 engine for improved visuals. From GameSpot:
"One of the first things you're going to see is improved graphics," said Houston. "We actually created the engine for Mass Effect 3 and then used that to make Mass Effect 2 PS3. We took the content, the story, all the other assets that made Mass Effect 2, and we put it into the Mass Effect 3 engine. That's what we're actually delivering."
More information.

So, will there be a way for PC users to play ME2 with the ME3 engine (the same way you can play Baldur's Gate on the BG2 engine)? And will we want to?

Probably no way to do that migration without support from bioware directly. As I recall its very mod unfriendly. Anyway they used Unreal Engine for the graphics engine so they probably just plugged in the latest bits and pieces from that.

What this tells me though is gameplay/inventory/... is going to basically identical to ME2 if they can run the previous game on same engine. Obviously they will have incremental features but probably not significant ones like the inventory rewrite between 1 and 2. I've not really followed the progress of ME3 so they may have already stated as much.

"We actually created the engine for Mass Effect 3 and then used that to make Mass Effect 2 PS3."

*cough*bullshit*cough*

We're supposed to believe they created a brand new engine for the last part of a trilogy? In that short amount of time since ME2, and without anyone hearing about it until now?

My guess is that they further updated/modified the Unreal 3.5 engine. That's certainly what it looks like from the video footage I've seen of the PS3 version of ME2.

*cough*bullshit*cough*

We're supposed to believe they created a brand new engine for the last part of a trilogy? In that short amount of time since ME2, and without anyone hearing about it until now?

My guess is that they further updated/modified the Unreal 3.5 engine. That's certainly what it looks like from the video footage I've seen of the PS3 version of ME2.

I think that is what they mean with 'new engine'. They improved details like explosions, surfaces, animation, etc but the basic engine is the same (Unreal 3.5 if I am not mistaken). And I actually don't think that is a problem because I like the ME look a lot.

I think that is what they mean with 'new engine'. They improved details like explosions, surfaces, animation, etc but the basic engine is the same (Unreal 3.5 if I am not mistaken). And I actually don't think that is a problem because I like the ME look a lot.

Yeah, well. Of course that is what they meant, just like we saw some pretty nice improvements to the engine from ME to ME2.

This is their way of telling PS3 users there's a good reason to get it, making it sound like there's an "all-new engine" for people not in the know.

Typical PR bullshit.

That's what they've done. They've not moved to a new engine as such, just further increased the modifications (Like Oblivion to FO3; Same engine, different modifications).

This is gonna be fun, then. Instead of supporting three similar(ish) products, they've got to support two similar products and one different one. Given BioWare's support record this past year, I have a feeling this is going to be fun to watch.

It's a little embellished, but I'm sure there are improvements.

There would have to be, or it'd be a direct lie - which wouldn't be smart marketing.

I just have severe doubts it will look or seem ANYTHING like a new engine, which is what they're claiming it is.

PS3 gets the ME3 engine - all others don't.

Which translates to me as : console is better than PC.
And some consoles are more equal thn others … to take this (in)famous quote from George Orwell's "Animal Farm" …

PS3 gets the ME3 engine - all others don't.

Which translates to me as : console is better than PC.
And some consoles are more equal thn others … to take this (in)famous quote from George Orwell's "Animal Farm" …
The hell? No, it doesn't. It's not a simultaneous release so it's not a case of the PS3 being "better" than the others. The ME3 version of the engine would have been built for all three platforms, whereas the ME2 version was PC/360, so it made sense as the technology was already there.

Finally ... now it can be wildy overrated on all platforms

Back
Top Bottom