What happened to Planescape Trilogy?

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO
I checked their website, and got a "Domain Not Valid" page. Did they just forget to renew their domain, or is it something worse? Anyone with contacts in the team who could shed light on this?

I visited the site about a month ago, and they were still around and there was a post from one of the team saying the project was still going on--despite zero activity, but I haven't heard from anyone in a long time. I'll shoot out an e-mail or two and see what happens.

Update: First email undeliverable, not surprising since it's at a Rogue Dao address. (Here's the error if it tells you anything:vdelivermail: account is locked email bounced) Trying again elsewhere.
Update 2: Second source no longer with RDS, knows nothing. Passing request for some enlightenment on to Dhruin, who may be able to do more.

Last edited:
Was this a NWN2 mod? I seem to remember reading about it.

This is one thing I despise about the modding community. Not that I even fully understand the massive amount of effort to create a mod, but I do wish they'd basically keep it under wraps, outside of asking for help, until it's basically finished and there's little chance it will end.

Just sucks getting your hopes up on something, then it never being finished. There was a NWN2 mod in development that remade Ultima VII part 2. Guy did some phenomenal work, but it's been dead for about 8 months now.

Remember, originally it was a Plan Escape mod for NWN that year after year went belly up. Its not surprising that the motivation for it on NWN2 is leeching away considering NWN2 has been no where near the popularity of NWN, at least the online aspect of it - I mean, all the complaints seem to be dying away.

The same thing happened with the DLA team. Year after year of high expectations lead to their team basically headhunted until only two mods got made, and one of them was commercial.

I am surprised CEP got finished and quite frankly I am of the opinion they had outside support. The reason I say this is because it was dead for almost two years and I was personally contacted by a member of the team to receive as many free CD's as I wanted. I got 30. Someone, somewhere had to pay for this and the many other folks that also got the same deal. I'm not saying in the leat I'm not grateful for it, I'm just trying to point out that large projects like this are difficult to sustain. I could be wrong with the CEP, I have no actual evidence.

Mind you, there are fantastic mods of incredible scale out there such as Dark Side of the Sword Coast for BG and of course Counterstrike. Right now I'm playing on Rise of Mankind for Civ4. With Counterstrike, its the mod that made the game I understand. Before it, Half Life was just another shooter.

The same thing happened with the DLA team.

What are DLA and CEP?

Mind you, there are fantastic mods of incredible scale out there such as Dark Side of the Sword Coast for BG

I really didn't like DSoTSC. I applaud the effort (I'm sure it really helped launch the whole Infinity modding), but I felt there were plot wholes, redudent plots, and very poorly planned new enemies, such as the vampires that level drained you with no recourse. I thought that it was a limitation of the modding ability (nothing wrong with level draining, but I guess there was no way to make it reversible) until I tried The Darkest Day, and saw the same stuff over and over (such as the monsters in the Hall of Knowledge that would just randomly permanently kill characters).

I liked a lot of the Civ2 mods, but never found any I liked for Civ3 and never got into Civ4.

I've really just gotten to the point that if I see a blurb on a mod, unless it is near completion, I ignore it. I'm not saying there aren't lots of great mods for various games out there, there are tons (though many remain buggy), it just seems that a lot of hype is given to mods that never get finished. It's one thing for the mod to never get off the ground, but when you're releasing screenshots and such at a regular basis, it totally sucks for it to go belly up.

Community Extension Pack, IIRC. A bunch of modders put a buttload of new textures and scripts and such into a massive single hak pack and made sure the new content played nice with the vanilla game as well as with itself.

I assume DLA was a collection of high-end user-made modules, but didn't get to the finish line.

DLA = Drangonlance Adventures. Originally it was a project that would recreate the PnP Dragonlance modules as mods for NWN. There was never a Dragonlance mod released however but IIRC a lot of their work was included in the two Premium Modules Infinite Dungeons and Wyvern Crown of Cormyr.

Dhruin found a post over at the Codex from the project lead, Monty Markland, that it was a billing mistake and the site should be back up soon.

Not sounding terribly good, imo, but time will tell, I guess.

I frequent the NWN2 IRC channel, and a few of the Rogue Dao people visist there as well. Work is proceeding on the mod (in fact, one of them asked me if I could do a thing for them in the toolset yesterday) as far as I can tell. I also think I saw something about the Planescape prestige classes being released soon (Kaedrin, who also does the famous prestige class pack mod are doing them).

No idea on a release date. Latest I saw was that they're aiming for Q4 to take advantage of the added hype for NWN2 with the expansion coming, but nothing final.

So yep, work is definetely being made on it. But release date remains unknown (and I imagine that they'll hold off on saying until they're absolutely sure this time around).

No idea on a release date. Latest I saw was that they're aiming for Q4 to take advantage of the added hype for NWN2 with the expansion coming, but nothing final.

Sounds promising, that's way earlier than I was expecting, even middle of next year would be a result IMO.

Excellent news! This project has looked promising from day one, but I generally have low expectations when dealing with fan projects. I certainly hope they prove me wrong on this one though, as Planescape is a setting I like a lot, and haven't played enough.

Let's keep in mind though, that no release date has been given. Q4 is mainly the aim, and it could very well be longer than that (though let's hope not).
There's a small project related to this. Kaedrin (who has done the famous prestige class packs for NWN2) has also been working with Rogue Dao on this, and I believe the plan is to start releasing the Purgatorio prestige classes in September, one a week if I remember correctly. Don't quote me on that though.

Also, as an interesting sidenote, the Rogue Dao composers have gotten the chance to compose for the soundtrack of the NWN2 expansion Storm of Zehir. Cool stuff!

Back
Top Bottom