RPGWatch Feature: Best RPG of 2010

Well deserved win for my favorite game and RPG of 2010. Obsidian really knocked that one out of the park if you ask me, and the supposed bug issues never really effected me.

P.S. I did, however, very much like New Vegas, a deserving winner. Obsidian brought back the quality writing and atmosphere of the original series. Kudos. Also, while not my favorite game in the world, I also liked Alpha Protocol, which didn't deserve to be panned in the press the way it was. I also enjoyed Divinity II:ED. Haven't played DKS yet, but I probably will. While the combat was a bit "arcadey" for my taste, they got pretty much everything else right, as far as I'm concerned.

I knew what the winner was before I even clicked on the link. :)

Not surprised about the runner-up either.
I knew the runner-up before I clicked the link, too - but that's only because I happened to go to Larian's web page just before I came here. They've got their ribbon front and center on their news page!

Glad to see the nods to Divinity II. I'm playing the first part of the game now and its probably the first RPG that has really held my attention since...well, since I can't quite remember! Great merge of old school RPG sensibilities combined with some modern gameplay. Hopefully it will become a sleeper hit with the release of the Dragon Knight Saga!

FNV deserves it, although mostly because it didn't have very strong competition. ME2 deserves nothing but shame for it's horrible story. How an "RPG" can win so many awards when it has one of the most moronic and pathetic stories ever told is a mystery. So thank you to RPGWatch for at least pointing out ME2's flimsy story. Glad I'm not the only sane person in the world.

FNV deserves it, although mostly because it didn't have very strong competition. ME2 deserves nothing but shame for it's horrible story. How an "RPG" can win so many awards when it has one of the most moronic and pathetic stories ever told is a mystery. So thank you to RPGWatch for at least pointing out ME2's flimsy story. Glad I'm not the only sane person in the world.

That is *your* opinion. Several people out there, including myself, thinks ME2 was spectacular game. I'm not surprised ME2 made to top 3.

Mass Effect was a fun Shoter with RPG elements but a horrible, horrible RPG. That's coming from someone who got all but 1 achievement(it is made for consoles, afterall ;) ). New Vegas was a breath of fresh air. Fallout 3 faded instantly into memory, only to be replaced by fond travels through radiated California. Divinity DKS was deserving as it was the only "mainstream" level RPG left. Haven't gotten around to it as I am slowly getting thru NV...

ME2 deserves nothing but shame for it's horrible story. How an "RPG" can win so many awards when it has one of the most moronic and pathetic stories ever told is a mystery.
I've just finished ME2 yesterday evening for the first time, and while I enjoyed it as a shooter, it is truly a terrible RPG. But while the story was weak, and boring, I don't think it is the most moronic, pathetic story. I enjoyed the end of the game, although I'm easy to please with heroic, cinematic things. :)

I liked ME2. Don't really care to rehash the whys and wherefores. We've been over that territory a hundred times.

Looking forward to hearing the "Worst of" announced. Go Arcania!

ME2 deserves nothing but shame for it's horrible story. How an "RPG" can win so many awards when it has one of the most moronic and pathetic stories ever told is a mystery.
Because the Mass Effect series is easily one of the best stories in RPG history. And no, I am not a "moron" or insane because that's how I see it.

I don't know much about the story, because I never succeed play much of ME1, but the encyclopedia is THE worst, tedious, pale, boring texts I ever read and I read ton of book crap when I was younger.

But well when I tried played it some years ago, I certainly focused too much on this, the story itself could not be that bad. I tried two times recently played it again, but just couldn't find the fun keys in the shooting elements. And the interface feels so much like a crap, and controlling the companion is a sort of mystery for me. I'm sure there's something I don't see, to enjoy more the shooting and the companions but well it stuck me this time.

That's a very very bad new that DAO2 will be a ME2 like, I hope it won't stop me find the fun keys.

Awakening? Truly? You don't even manage to write something positive about it yourselves... Ah, well.

Because the Mass Effect series is easily one of the best stories in RPG history. And no, I am not a "moron" or insane because that's how I see it.

I wasn't trying to imply people who liked it were morons. My comment was a bit harsh and not meant to insult anyone. And I adored ME1, partly because it had a great human story with the whole Saren thing.

For ME2, I'm merely commenting on the story itself, from a literary perspective. If you diagram the story and chart the plot, ME2 falls apart. It relies on extremely poor storytelling devices, such as coincidence, happenstance, and hyperbole.

But I did enjoy ME2 when viewed as a 3rd person space adventure with a Hollywood popcorn plot. There's no doubt ME2 had awesome production values and superb presentation, which is why it "seemed" so epic even though upon closer examination, it was all illogical (why are they building this thing in the first place? why would they leave the key to their secret base out in the open? if they keep doing such stupid things how are they so smart? if they can kill Shepard so easily, why didn't they do that in ME1 or do it again in ME2!?).

So story is another way FNV crushes ME2, since FNV has a much more realistic and human story. But to each his own.

The first Mass Effect also had an ancient mystery dealing with mass extinction which you got to explore and INVESTIGATE. Investigation is always my favorite aspect of RPG games (that have it). ME2 didn't leave a lot to the imagination, but I still logged 43 hours and beat it, something I can't say for F:NV sadly (80 hours of pure exploration).

I am surprised that Mount and Blade: Warband is not in the top three places. It has a unique and deep rpg elements and a really open-ended system with countless possibilities and options. Not to mention the battle and strategy features of this game.

Never picked the first one, and only picked Warband. I was amazed by the level of detail, options available to players (can marry daughter of ruler to get close and have advantage or besiege their castle, prisoner management, trading, looting, tournments .. endless). This is only the single player, as I have not tried the multiplayer.

What I find more amazing is that the game fits on a single CD! This is a very clear demonstration that you don't need over the top graphics and voiceovers to make an excellent experience and game.

I have played divinity II and enjoyed it's action rpg setting - but it was not as clever, deep or varied as Warband (maybe they are different types of games).

Warband's main feature seemed to be multiplayer, so I never picked it up.

I thought it was an online only game ???

I thought it was an online only game ???

Nope.

I have played divinity II and enjoyed it's action rpg setting - but it was not as clever, deep or varied as Warband (maybe they are different types of games).

Yes, very different games. I disagree with your comparison (though I'm basing this on M&B, not Warband) but they are very different. M&B has no characters worth talking of and no real story, for example. The exploration is very different and can't be compared. M&B is a sandbox-y game and D2 isn't.

Anyway, a great game either way but, as I said, many of us had our fill years ago.

Back
Top Bottom