World of Darkness inspired 'Dogma: Eternal Night' going kickstarter

Nyx

Goddess of the Night
If anyone paid attention to the now discontinued World of Darkness Online a small group from Russia has started working on a mmo inspired by the project and generally vampire/world of darkness/vampire the masquerade stuff. They are now up on kickstarter if anyone is willing to help this see dayl…er, nightfall (?).
Keeping an close eye on this myself.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prelude/dogma-eternal-night

(edit: link helps...)

Last edited:
looks legit

Very, very skeptical.

Graphics wise it looks decent as long as nobody is moving. The animations look horrible though. Well, of course it's beta/alpha.

Thing is that the scenario of World of Darkness as well as the genre of MMOs are both things which are more complicated to put into reality than your "standard" genre or setting. As a single player game this might somehow work with lower budget, but a mmo...

In addition to that another alarm bell should ring if they want to do a mmo with unity. Unlike others I don't think that unity is the devil's child. However I don't think that it's fit for being used in a mmo. Requirements of MMOs are rather special and while I am not an expert on that matter I don't think that unity is well suited for that.

So I'd keep my distance. It's extremely easy to make excellent looking scenes as shown in the video via unity, compared to actually make a game worth being played.

It doesn look worse than Bloodlust:Shadowhunter, and that's a game that kinda succedeed

There is always the risk of trying too much with too little. Remember this is only a small indie team with an idea left from a tossed project. This is more a love letter to what could have been, rather than an attempt at a highly popular mmo. I don't know how much money it takes to run a small scale mmo running but I'm hoping they can make it as it's definitely a theme for an mmo I'm interested in. I assume, and expect animations to get some improvements over time.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prelude/dogma-eternal-night/posts/1428044
It already looks slightly improved on this update, so we'll see =)

As for unity, can't say I know too much about that subject tbh

I agree that it's a great setting, but - it's also one of the hardest ones.

You can do fantasy, science fiction or postapocalyptic much easier as the suspension of disbelieve works better. A town with only 5 huts in a fantasy setting? No problem. Landing on a planet packet with monsters? No problem. But if you see a car which has some wheels which don't turn properly you got a problem. Making a realistic present-time city must be the hardest task you can take for a setting.

I agree that it's a great setting, but - it's also one of the hardest ones.

You can do fantasy, science fiction or postapocalyptic much easier as the suspension of disbelieve works better. A town with only 5 huts in a fantasy setting? No problem. Landing on a planet packet with monsters? No problem. But if you see a car which has some wheels which don't turn properly you got a problem. Making a realistic present-time city must be the hardest task you can take for a setting.

This is very true, and a world of darkness setting doesn't make it easier either. But I am positive and hoping it will prove to be well thought out and implemented.

Back
Top Bottom