The Witcher - New Trailer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CD Projekt has released a new trailer for The Witcher - here's the blurb from 3D Gamers:
Yet another new movie trailer for The Witcher is now online, again continuing the series of "Making Of" movies for this third-person fantasy action role-playing game being crafted at CD Projekt RED. This high-resolution trailer concentrates on the battle system while focusing on combat animations in nearly two minutes of in game footage.
More information.

Hmm...that's about the most disappointing thing I've seen for The Witcher. Apart from being too dark on my system, it looked like 3D Diablo with an annoying camera.

I still have high hopes - but more dialogue / choices / exploration videos please.

The video is labeled pre-alpha -- shouldn't it be a lot further along than that now?

Hmm...that's about the most disappointing thing I've seen for The Witcher. Apart from being too dark on my system, it looked like 3D Diablo with an annoying camera.

Really? I thought Geralt's combat animations were flat-out amazing. I don't think I've seen better. Smooth as silk and just filled to the brim with variety. :drool:

I assume they choreographed the camera movements in an attempt to be all John-Woo-Action-Movie-like, but it just ended up being distracting, IMO. I'd seriously doubt the camera moves like this automatically in the actual game a la a platformer.

The outdoor scenery in the second scene did look kind of.. I dunno... weird. May have been the resolution of the video.

The greatest problem with this movie clip is that the sword hits do not seem to contact. It seems like the character's slashing the air to me. This is very poor indeed, but I'm positive that the Polish guys are more ahead in development than this.

I thought everything looked smooth and wonderful, but if I had no idea about the game I'd assume it was a console action 'Devil May Cry' style game.

I don't really care how smooth the animations looked, to be honest. What I meant was that it looked like pretty mindless hack'n'slash against overwhelming enemy numbers...typical Diablo fare. I was hoping for something a little slower, deliberate and tactical (and yes, I know it's an action/RPG -- there's a line, though ;) ).

The greatest problem with this movie clip is that the sword hits do not seem to contact. It seems like the character's slashing the air to me. This is very poor indeed, but I'm positive that the Polish guys are more ahead in development than this.
This problem was visible in the first videos, made available a long time ago. It's a shame they haven't managed to fix it.
But if the "choices and visible but delayed consequences" bit works, I'll forget about any combat defects of the game.

This is still a game I'm unsure about!! I'll wait until Dhruin reviews it before I make a final decision!! :)

I don't really care how smooth the animations looked, to be honest. What I meant was that it looked like pretty mindless hack'n'slash against overwhelming enemy numbers...typical Diablo fare. I was hoping for something a little slower, deliberate and tactical (and yes, I know it's an action/RPG -- there's a line, though ;) ).

Ah. I see. Yep, that clip was definitely more Dungeon Lords-like than Gothic-like. But DL's combat, while more fast and furious than Gothic's, still has lots of tactical aspects. Plus, from the descriptions of the different combat styles and magic options, it won't be nearly as mindless as point-and-click-and-kill. At least I hope not....

Yeah, please don't see this as indicative of the final product. The game isn't just a hack-and-slash game, and this video doesn't really give a good indication of the tactical options in combat, or how correct timing of attacks impacts gameplay.

Tom Ohle? Someone using his name, or the actual fellow (PR man for a bunch of BioWare games if I recall correctly).

At any rate, welcome to the forums, any information you could give us regarding The Witcher is more than welcome; as far as I know there are quite a few people following the game here at the Watch.

Welcome to the Watch!!

Back
Top Bottom