Demon's Souls

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
GameTrailers have a cou-ple of vids previewing the american release.

Is that Cthulhu I see before me?

There's an updated hands-on of this one at Gamespot.

Patience is definitely a virtue and a trait that you must have if you're even thinking of trying Demon's Souls. It's a fascinating single-player role-playing experience, but it's unmercifully difficult and can be incredibly frustrating. You have to understand that you will die countless times, and that death is a huge part of the game. When you're not leaving bloodstains along the stone pathways of Boletaria, you are fighting demons of all shapes and sizes, collecting their souls in order to level up, as well as upgrade your stats and weapons. You are just one of many adventurers who are trapped in this hub called the "Nexus" and must kill demons to save the kingdom from being plundered.​

It looks good, not sure about the online part. The commentator seems to think that all players would be very helpful, lol. Not sure if that will actually happen, but one can hope.

Still sounds interesting. I guess sorta a singleplayer rpg meets online mmo. Wish they had it for the PC though.

It looks good, not sure about the online part. The commentator seems to think that all players would be very helpful, lol. Not sure if that will actually happen, but one can hope.

Still sounds interesting. I guess sorta a singleplayer rpg meets online mmo. Wish they had it for the PC though.

Yep - does look like fun ... will be interesting to see how it plays out - most games trying this stuff have been mediocre in implementation.

Some 'new' (I'm told) screens at Gamespot.

Doesn't seem to be coming to Europe.

DS's Pre-order bonus now includes full soundtrack.

As you may already know, we’re offering fans who pre-order either version of the game (Standard or Deluxe, at participating retailers only) a full-color, 40-page art book featuring sketches, designs, and renders that wonderfully show off the game’s gritty medieval aesthetic. On its own, this is a pretty nice bonus (says the publisher offering it), considering it is being thrown in at no additional cost to the customer, but we’ve recently decided to take things a step further:

I love this trend .... there have been several DS (i.e. Nintendo DS) RPG's that have started including full soundtracks with the normal release!

Are they doing anything new (in the actual game) for US release?

I'm getting this regardless - once I invest in a PS3 - but I'm curious if there's any reason for me not to import it from Asia.

I think they are cleaning up the translation but I don't have any facts.

These are the key features and I'm unsure if the multi-player has been enhanced or not in the US release.

Key Features

* Ultimate hardcore RPG challenge -- In this brutal land, death is inevitable, but not final. Combining the best features of an action game and RPG, you'll slice, smash, shoot, and ensorcel some of the most horrible, vicious enemies ever encountered. Are you strong enough to face the impossible and win?

* Ground-breaking online capabilities -- Network features go far beyond any previous RPG, allowing players to leave hints for each other, replay death scenes, cooperatively revive dead players, or invade another player's game to wreak havoc. Not merely an add-on feature, multiplayer options are vast, and uniquely focused on changing and intensifying the single player experience.

* Freeform and flexible -- The open-ended structure of the game means that there is no single path, but rather a wealth of options. Set your own pace and progress as you like. Build exactly the character you want by creating a detailed avatar, nurturing the right stats, and customizing your skills and equipment.

* You act, the world reacts -- The World Tendency system changes the aggressiveness of monsters and the rewards for killing them based on players' actions. Different events and NPCs may be triggered, as well.

Demon's Souls has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

There's this from Wiki:

Atlus is publishing the game in North America. [5] Atlus has confirmed that people with the North American version will be on separate servers, and not able to interact with people playing other versions. Save games from the non-North American version will not be able to be transferred to the North American version.

Which seems to be the only difference between versions that I can find.

Last edited:
Are they doing anything new (in the actual game) for US release?

I'm getting this regardless - once I invest in a PS3 - but I'm curious if there's any reason for me not to import it from Asia.

I don't know about this specifically, but Atlus has done a really good job with all of their DS stuff this year in terms of tweaks and fixes before US releases

I dont usually like to play multiplayer, but this looks like one that I will definitely have to try. The difficulty for me is a definite plus. I love a challenge.

I believe you can solo the entire game off-line, but certain things can happen when you are on-line.

Demon's Souls is a bit of a mixed bag for me (imported region 3).

I've played through 50% of the game, its definitely King's Field-ish, and difficult.

There is no candy-coating ... the AI sucks! The game is made challenging by allowing mobs to hit & hit hard when it finally figures out pathing to you.
I suspect this is why the developer approached multiplayer in the way they did, as any half-way organized co-op multiplayer is easy mode.

Atlus have some blogs about the game the second part explains the online features while the first is an intro to the game.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom