Dragon Age 2 - Review Avalanche

What are the reasons it is more fun for you?

While I found DAO good, I couldn't bring myself to replay it past the origins, because I felt I was forcing myself to go through all the filler combat. I also didn't find the companions that interesting beside Meatball (dog), Shale and Wynne and, despite what some claims, I don't see that much replayability in the game. I hated the camp too. But then, I'm one of the few person who preferred Awakening to Origins and I also think that Fade is the best part of DAO, so…

Also, I never saw DA2 as a sequel to DAO, but as a game set in the Dragon Age settings. I'm sure it help a lot.

Right now, about 5 hours in, DA2 isn't that much about combat, encounters don't last as long (faster combat, the rest is similar to DAO) and the companions seems more interesting and have lives (and not just a back story). I do like Aveline, Varric and Merril quite a bit (that's the only companions I have right now). I prefer the revamped talent system too. I'm also enjoying being an "adventurer" (aka making noise) and not a "savior". Oh, and I find the design level design much better then DAO (it's still linear, but at least it's pretty and I think that the maps are larger too). Of course, all that could change later.

I do find a few things "annoying" (not necessarily bad):
- Playing a Mage mean you are stuck with Carver and I don't like him.
- Hawke is "amazing" (Similar to Mass Effect: Shepard is the best!). It's just annoying when people keep saying it...
- My Hawke is a smartass, because I always select the "jester" tone…Need to get used to. I suspect most people won't realize that though.
- The camera could be better: it need to zoom out more.
- I feel like I'm playing BG2 in 3D.
- On casual, combat is way too fast. I actually need to pause, otherwise the other party members kill everything. (I will have to bump the difficulty)
- My Hawke look like a Shaloin monk so I want to play a martial themed RPG now. ;)

I'm 15 hours in. Playing on hard (most of the time ;) ) with no auto-tactics at all, I manage every party member myself. It's a good challenge and combat is a real blast… other than the loss of the far-out camera I really feel it's just as good at combat if not better than Origins.

A lot of tactical gamers are happy with it when playing on hard or nightmare. Someone I know who made a lot of how-to videos for nightmare mode in Origins is thrilled with the game and having a blast trying to burn through nightmare in DA2. For those here who wrote the game off I would urge you to try hard or nightmare mode somehow, it's a very tactical game that requires a ton of strategy, placement and pausing to survive.

For those here who wrote the game off I would urge you to try hard or nightmare mode somehow, it's a very tactical game that requires a ton of strategy, placement and pausing to survive.

Just as soon as the GotY edition comes out, prepackaged with all the nickel & dime DLC's :) Glad you're enjoying it though.

I'm 15 hours in. Playing on hard (most of the time ;) ) with no auto-tactics at all, I manage every party member myself. It's a good challenge and combat is a real blast… other than the loss of the far-out camera I really feel it's just as good at combat if not better than Origins.

A lot of tactical gamers are happy with it when playing on hard or nightmare. Someone I know who made a lot of how-to videos for nightmare mode in Origins is thrilled with the game and having a blast trying to burn through nightmare in DA2. For those here who wrote the game off I would urge you to try hard or nightmare mode somehow, it's a very tactical game that requires a ton of strategy, placement and pausing to survive.

don't trust you.

too much praise in one go. it looks like the escapist fellatio of DA2

try harder please

Alrik, just ignore him. He's been trolling the site for a few days now, and it's best if we don't "feed the troll."

While I found DAO good, I couldn't bring myself to replay it past the origins, because I felt I was forcing myself to go through all the filler combat. I also didn't find the companions that interesting beside Meatball (dog), Shale and Wynne and, despite what some claims, I don't see that much replayability in the game. I hated the camp too. But then, I'm one of the few person who preferred Awakening to Origins and I also think that Fade is the best part of DAO, so…

Also, I never saw DA2 as a sequel to DAO, but as a game set in the Dragon Age settings. I'm sure it help a lot.

Right now, about 5 hours in, DA2 isn't that much about combat, encounters don't last as long (faster combat, the rest is similar to DAO) and the companions seems more interesting and have lives (and not just a back story). I do like Aveline, Varric and Merril quite a bit (that's the only companions I have right now). I prefer the revamped talent system too. I'm also enjoying being an "adventurer" (aka making noise) and not a "savior". Oh, and I find the design level design much better then DAO (it's still linear, but at least it's pretty and I think that the maps are larger too). Of course, all that could change later.

I do find a few things "annoying" (not necessarily bad):
- Playing a Mage mean you are stuck with Carver and I don't like him.
- Hawke is "amazing" (Similar to Mass Effect: Shepard is the best!). It's just annoying when people keep saying it…
- My Hawke is a smartass, because I always select the "jester" tone…Need to get used to. I suspect most people won't realize that though.
- The camera could be better: it need to zoom out more.
- I feel like I'm playing BG2 in 3D.
- On casual, combat is way too fast. I actually need to pause, otherwise the other party members kill everything. (I will have to bump the difficulty)
- My Hawke look like a Shaloin monk so I want to play a martial themed RPG now. ;)

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I hear very different impressions from the combat, both concerning its amount (you say its less, I read other posts complaining about even worse, and more filler combat) and the ability to play it tactically. However given there at least seems to be some joy in playing it tactically, and I hear that from several people now, it sounds good enough for me. I am not too picky with combat systems, so I actually think this will be fine for me. But, I didn't like the wave mechanic of some enemies (specifically shades, IIRC) in DA:O already, and here it is apparently used even more. Not so good.
Replayability is not an issue for me - except for the Origins I won't replay DA:O either. Unless it has major plot branches I am unlikely to replay DA2. Too little time, too many games.
Companions. I have little concerns about. Even if they are not Biowares best, nobody does companions better than them (although, by now, they start to fall into certain patterns, and aren't as big a draw to me as in the early games…).

Why did you never see it as a sequel? After all, that is what it claims to be?

Alrik, just ignore him. He's been trolling the site for a few days now, and it's best if we don't "feed the troll."

rpgsites are srs business

srs business

What is srs ?

I only know SARS.

I do it my way. ;)

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I hear very different impressions from the combat, both concerning its amount (you say its less, I read other posts complaining about even worse, and more filler combat) and the ability to play it tactically...

I think people that claim DA2 is worst then DA:O combat wise just don't remember DA:O (like RedCliff) or only played the demo. So far encounters are similar between the two games and the wave are mostly used for "quest events" (aka respawn trash around a "boss"). I haven't had a quest with more then 4 fights and the smaller fight had 3-4 mobs, while the bigger ones had about 10 (including waves). The faster combat help a lot with the trash and the first act is more "walking around" and less "meeting mobs in every corner". It's possible it get worst later, I'm just 5 hours in. We will see.

Why did you never see it as a sequel? After all, that is what it claims to be?

I mean sequel in the "sequel to my Warden" sense. I never saw any link between Hawke and the Warden, so I never expected much link between the 2 games.

There was never any actual claim that Dragon Age : Hawke had something to do with Dragon Age : Origins or even with Dragon Age : Legends.

But still : People silently implied (read: hoped for) it. A connection, I mean.
Other than the games' setting.

Especially since one is said to be able to importan an Dragon Age : Origins character into Dragon Age : Hawke

it shouldn't have had a number really

kinda cheapens the title for an even cheaper gayme ;)

Hmm.. the game is called "Dragon Age 2. I can understand why some people wanted more of a connection..

You know I agree with you. I wonder if people would view it differently if they spun it off the original. It is a very big departure from the first game. I feel like they tried to mix the engine of mass effect with dragon age. It works great as that, no so much as the successor to the last game. Although, I have found the lore to be quite excellent, YMMV.

The discontinuity of the story is fine with me. Lots of game series do that. I guess the disgruntlement comes fromt the fact that the supposed "spiritual successor" to BG does not follow suit in this feature. In general of course you expect a somewhat similar, if improved game from a sequel. The argument here of course being about how similar and wether the changes are an improvement...

Well at least you were still Simon Belmont. :)

Hmm.. speaking of a once great franchise that really went to shit..

I've heard the recent Xbox and PS3 game was actually pretty good but I have no console to play it on. One day I'll get a PS3 when they're like $150 and I'll try it out.

I think people that claim DA2 is worst then DA:O combat wise just don't remember DA:O (like RedCliff) or only played the demo. So far encounters are similar between the two games and the wave are mostly used for "quest events" (aka respawn trash around a "boss"). I haven't had a quest with more then 4 fights and the smaller fight had 3-4 mobs, while the bigger ones had about 10 (including waves). The faster combat help a lot with the trash and the first act is more "walking around" and less "meeting mobs in every corner". It's possible it get worst later, I'm just 5 hours in. We will see.

Nonsense.

DA2 has proportionately a lot more combat than DA:O, wave mechanic is used almost all the time and very often you face a lot more than 10 enemies per encounter.

Combat is only faster if you play on casual or normal, but then it´s pure hack´n´slash without need to use any tactics whatsoever.
If you play on hard or nightmare, you need to play more carefully, but bar few interesting scenarios the game is chock-full of filler which just takes unnecessarily long to dispatch and gets repetitive/tedious fast.

The game was obviously paced for normal/casual where the proportion between combat and other activities is more reasonable, but on hard/nightmare overwhelming majority of game consists of (mostly repetitive) combat.
Camera or targeting weren´t optimized for higher difficulties either.

Playing everything on normal and switching to higher difficulties for boss fights might bring a bit more balanced experience.

Anyway, combat aside, there´s still solid story, quests and characters, right? WRONG!
The game is a failure in all three.

Main story is pretty much non-existent, it´s just a collection of barely connected slightly longer side quests. No story arc, no hooks, just directionless plod.

Quest design is simply uninspired and lazy, both side quests and "main quests" (which you have to finish all before going to the next act for no apparent reason) mostly consist of getting the quest + some dialogue, than clearing associated area from mobs, return to quest giver + some dialogue. There´s no intrigue on the way, no interesting choices and rarely a possibility of peaceful solution (sometimes it seems like there might be one, but in most cases dialogue choices don´t make a difference and bloodshed occurs anyway).

Companions are mostly dull and of sketchy characterizations and you can´t really choose the pacing of interacting with them yourself, every dialogue is strictly regulated via notification in quest log. Sometimes they visit each other and sometimes you can let them to participate in dialogues which is pretty cool, but it still doesn´t make them markedly more memorable. All 4 potential "love interests" are also for some reason bisexual.
Other in-game characters aren´t memorable either, mostly because writing in general is undercooked.
Player character isn´t well designed either because the game does a pretty bad job helping player to identify with him, which is mostly caused by non-existent plot line.

And of course then there are copy pasted areas all over the place.
It´s even worse than in Mass Effect because in DA2 copy pasting merrily occurs even in "main quest" related locations. There are few layouts used over and over and difference is only in closed doors or some hubris in the way.
And locations themselves are poorly designed, no matter whether it´s an exterior or an interior, it´s mostly just a linear corridor with no alternative routes.
Terrible.
There´s also no attention to detail and lighting is generally poor (no light/shadows ambience, everything´s just bright).

Kirkwall itself looks relatively solid, but considering it´s the only main location for the whole game, it´s still rather bare bones and lacks proper ambience and attention to detail as well and after a while its lifelesness becomes apparent.
And at night it´s just full of trash mobs or empty altogether.

And then there are things like uncustomizable companion armors (yeah it´s possible to buy upgrades but those are set), very sterile UI environment (inventory icons, journal, etc.), lack of new lore (a lot of codex entries are taken straight from DA:O), little leeway to develop pc´s attributes (armor parts requirements), no skills, no skill checks in dialogues…

The premise of adventure in one big city and its immediate surroundings throughout 10 year span is an intriguing concept, but DA2 simply doesn´t live up to it and instead of tightly focused C&C driven experience delivers not much more than an endless stream of uninspired side quests, filler combat, copy pasted locations and half-assed characters.
It has some good points, but ultimately just doesn´t deliver, neither as DA:O sequel, nor as a standalone experience.
Oh, and btw the promised 10 year span is somewhat misleading, because afaik the game ends after year 7 (not that it matters much, the game consists of prologue and 3 acts anyway) and the year 10 is just in the framed narrative.

Back
Top Bottom