The Elder Scrolls Online - New Screens

Kotaku reported on the leaked video as well but the videos have been taken down.

The user comments vary greatly. If anything though, there are still a few more months before the game is released so while the core game aspects may stay the same, a lot of polishing will be done.

It's strange because the official gameplay videos are pretty impressive. I'm certainly not going to count it out but now I'm wary. I'll wait for reviews.

That video has worst graphics than the illegal phonecam videos from PAX East. Also, the water has no reflection, while you can see it in official screenshots like this one. Early closed beta usually have locked settings and no HD textures to reduce download size. GW2 even locked the GPU max speed until the last beta weekend.

My personal impression (I watched the video on 1080p) is that the guy went out of his way to make the game look bad (and gain fame). The game is clearly in a closed beta state, not some free trial to get feedback thing. It is unfinished and it still have a way to go. If ZOS can achieved it in 8 months is another story.

Wow, is it out in 8 months? That's great news for fans who are worried about the current state of the game. It IS in beta afterall, sheesh.

Yeah azarhal, I remember when the highest graphics settings for Guild Wars 2 wasn't even available for many beta weekends and people were moaning that it looked worse than WoW! Bunch of maniacs :D

EDIT: After thinking about this revamped my entire post.

I just want apologize as I didn’t mean to make this a heated discussion. I got annoyed over a misconception, partly based on past memories of the Kingdom of Amular thread, that made me see a perspective that probably wasn’t there.

In general it was the idea that because person A likes something that to them seems so obviously likable, then of course person B should also like it. Also that because person A has a personality that can easily ignore X that person B should be able to do the same. It is that type of sentiment that tends to be somewhat annoying, if best ignored I know.

But that is why I used the phrase over-simplifying, because that is what it is when you don’t take into consideration the fact that while one person might be able to easily tune out or tolerate some things in an MMO, another person may not. I went into detail and had to edit my post as I was up to 15 paragraphs. But just think about things like time, tolerance levels for other people’s behavior, money, commercialization, social pressure and aspects … all things that different people handle in different ways. Just telling someone to ignore all that and treat an MMO as an SRPG is a simplification.

When it comes to the grind I was making the mistake of coming from the past. I still remember games like EQ1 where it was a brutal grind to level especially if you got hooked on the whole social aspect and wanted to keep up with your friends. Newer games are much better about disguising the grind aspects. I never felt like I was grinding in RIFT or GW2, as an example. In RIFT I stopped playing as I had done most of the casual solo play and my guild had moved into hard core raiding which I had no time or desire to do. I could have easily grinded dailies (called dailies for a reason – its repetitive content you do every day to get faction, gear, rewards, etc.) to level achievements and faction points but I hate grinding so I stopped.

So yes an MMO has gotten much better about grinds in some ways – although it does have it more clearly, IMO, than an SRPG. Another aspect is that an MMO wants people to keep playing and they can only pump out so much content. Depending on your personality, goals, and play style you may feel you have to grind to keep up with your guild or friends – this is where the social aspect adds a vastly different dimension to games than in an SRPG. What if you want this uber gear you are drooling over but it is in an elite dungeon with rare drops? Just one example of where you might feel pressure to grind that you would not in many SRPGs (not counting a game like Diablo for example).

There are so many different factors that social things bring into a game combined with the desire of developers to find ways to keep people playing and paying (whether monthly or in micro-transactions) that you can’t compare an SRPG to an MMO on an equal level. Some things are the same and other things are different.

Anyhow I didn’t mean to get intense, I was clarifying some misconceptions I thought I saw in posts and should have just ignored them.

Last edited:
I don't imagine that those who have given games like LOTRO and Guild Wars 2 a really serious try and find they didn't enjoy the playstyle are suddenly going to like TESO. It's unlikely to be *that* much different. There do seem to be some interesting new ideas though, such as the megaserver and heavy use of phasing in the story.

Maybe too, Zenimax will have learned something from the areas where GW2 works well and where it doesn't. For instance, having everyone able to gather all resources (among other things) in GW2 caused the economy to fail pretty dramatically and an oversupply of items screwed up the game's reward system somewhat. GW2 is still a blast to level up characters through, with a massive amount of content and several months of gameplay at least, played at a reasonable pace. I don't think any of the single player, single character games are really in the same league, unless one is so introverted that the very sight of another player controlled avatar is anathema.

GW2 has great content, good personal stories (IMO of course), and I had a blast playing it. I did have trouble with immersion though because of all the ?*#*& over everything, the tons of other people jumping all around, and various aspects that just broke immersion for me. It has this almost flamboyant aspect to it - which I liked on the one hand but other times found annoying. I can't really explain why but I just was always very aware I was playing a game versus sinking into the game when I was playing GW2. It just seemed like non-game elements were to visible I guess.

That being said I had a blast playing with it. I just got tired of it sooner rather than later but that was more due to its theme and mechanics and little to do with the fact it was an MMO. I was also in two guilds but they very quickly moved beyond me and my casual laid back play style so other than a little chatting I had little connection on the social side.

For me the best MMO that I played that had a good SRPG feel was Age of Conan. Those first 20 levels in the pirate city were awesome - I enjoyed that more than most single player games. I had the best of both worlds between the night and day time play. I liked the story and the characters and the graphics.

Last edited:
Wow, is it out in 8 months? That's great news for fans who are worried about the current state of the game. It IS in beta afterall, sheesh.

Their release window is end of 2013, so about 7-8 months. I expect it to be pushed back personally. Especially, if Wildstar gets lots of buzz (it is releasing in the same time period).

I REALLY doubt it's going to be out in 8 months. Very few MMOs of this scale make their date.

Nah, I'd expect mid-late 2014.

Back
Top Bottom