Risen - vs Arcania Screen Comparisons

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Risen looks clearly better to me. Perhaps Arcania is aiming at slightly cheaper pc's?

ArcaniA seems more detailed, but the art direction seems more generic looking. Risen's one looks much better.

Baa what you do with shiny graphics if the gameplay is like a MMO, thats the impresion soo far of Arcania, so Risen beat Arcania 10000 times.
________
Buy herbalaire

Last edited:
Most obvious difference is that there seems to be no Anti-Aliasing on the Arcania screens - kind of like Gothic 3. Don't know if it hasn't been implemented yet, or if there won't be any period. Risen looks much smoother around the edges, and imo the lighting looks more interesting. Arcania definitely looks more realistic and almost painterly, and the character models are 1000X better than Risen. BUT, Arcania does look very generic in art style, and does not match the previous Gothics at all. Risen looks, graphically speaking, to be the true successor to the Gothic series at this point.

I definitely find the art style of Risen more appealing, and that matters more to me than its' HD-ness.

I guess this type of comparison was inevitable considering the same fanbase.

I'd have to say that I prefer the artistic style of Risen from what I've seen so far.

Truth be told, I wouldn't delete either off my PC based on the graphics ;)

I'll agree that Risen looks much better. Arcania looks washed out and I've seen enough of that "artform". I prefer sharper colors. Not being a fan of the Gothics, I'll just wait until both have dropped in price a bit. Whichever has more freeform exploration, will get my first dollars. I'm more looking forward to Two World's sequel.

Truth be told, the visuals are not the most important aspect when it comes to these games imo. I'm far more concerned about the atmosphere, gameplay, and dialogue.

-- Truth be told, the visuals are not the most important aspect when it comes to these games imo. I'm far more concerned about the atmosphere, gameplay, and dialogue. --

My thoughts exactly. Frankly, I wouldn't care if the graphics or even the engine were the same as in G1 or G2. It's not that important to me. Write an engrossing story and fine-tune the game play and there you go.

I'll agree that Risen looks much better. Arcania looks washed out and I've seen enough of that "artform". I prefer sharper colors. Not being a fan of the Gothics, I'll just wait until both have dropped in price a bit. Whichever has more freeform exploration, will get my first dollars. I'm more looking forward to Two World's sequel.

But if you like freeform exploration, shouldn't you be a huge fan of Gothic 3 (with CP 1.72, and maybe playing as an archer or mage to bypass melee combat)? This game has so much freeform exploration, I almost puked on my keyboard because I prefer story-driven games. ;)

Agreed, Risen is sharper and a more interesting art style where Gothic 4 looks more "real" and in desperate need of more AA. Compare the ground detail and tree textures, big differences there.

I'll probably end up buying both but this time I'm waiting for reviews, just so I'm not buying another lemon like Gothic 3.

For what it's worth they both look nice enough to me - I couldn't choose one over the other based on these screens.

I just wonder what's the purpose behind comparing screenshots of both games ?

Shouldn't every game be unique ?

How about influencing readers ?

I just wonder what's the purpose behind comparing screenshots of both games ?

Shouldn't every game be unique ?

How about influencing readers ?

This is typical media hyping stuff by creating a pseudo controversy:

Which successor of Gothic will be the better one, the one done by the original developer or the one by the original publisher?

Even many discussions on this site fall for this nonsense.
(Edit: Simply see some of the preceding posts in this thread...)

Objectively the best would be, if we get two great games. There is simply no reason, why one of them mustbe "better" than the other one.

Its like: The Beatles are better then the Stones. - No, the Stones are better than the Beatles. - No....

Such artifical controversy has a good marketing effect for both "rivals", so in some cases this is even initiated by the industry behind the products (for music groups this is a well known marketing strategy).

Its like: The Beatles are better then the Stones. - No, the Stones are better than the Beatles. - No....

The Doors win..!

Back to topic, you silly little gobbo me,
I way I see it Arcania is much better graphically speaking, the models are much better and detailed, but Risen has a great art direction, more vivid colors, a more detailed world and an overall Piranha Bytes feeling.

Last edited:
I wasn't impressed a bit when i saw the E3 videos of Arcania. They try to make the combat appeling to more casual gamer crowd i think. But it looks like totally awkward. Character movement are not so realistic, there is some stumpness like Two Worlds. Also game engine stutters so badly. I think Risen will beat Arcania in all aspects. Gothic series finished with Piranhas departure from Jowood. Res in peace Gothic, and hail to the new king Risen.

This is typical media hyping stuff by creating a pseudo controversy:

Which successor of Gothic will be the better one, the one done by the original developer or the one by the original publisher?

Even many discussions on this site fall for this nonsense.
(Edit: Simply see some of the preceding posts in this thread...)

Objectively the best would be, if we get two great games. There is simply no reason, why one of them mustbe "better" than the other one.

Such artifical controversy has a good marketing effect for both "rivals", so in some cases this is even initiated by the industry behind the products (for music groups this is a well known marketing strategy).

I'm having trouble seeing why you feel the controversy is invalid. Sure, it would be nice to get two great games, no doubt about it, and that may happen. But one of them WILL inevitably be better than the other. So I don't see any reason why speculating which one that will be falls into the "nonsense" category. I don't even know what exactly a "psuedo-controversy" is, but I bet the internet snobbery elite invented the term for the sole purpose of raining negativity down on otherwise interesting threads. ;)

Back
Top Bottom