Some forgotten games

rpgdude

Watchdog
Those games are draken:the ancient gates and draken: the order of the flame. Pretty good games with original idea of dragon fighting. I would rank them among the top rpgs and well above arcanium, nox or divine divinity ( the same mold as diablo ). But they didn't seem to do well. What happened here?

Google said:
Did you mean: Drakan: The Ancients' Gates

If the above is the case, Wikipedia talks about a Playstation action adventure.

Console + Action adventure would be sufficient explanation that it is not discussed here so much!?

Edit: And if it is similar to Diablo, an *ARPG*, how can it be better than *cRPGs* like Arcanum or Divine Divinity???

They're both action adventures. I played the first Drakan on PC, and it was an excellent game. Maybe roughly comparable to Tomb Raider, just with swords and a dragon. Spectacular action, beautiful graphics.

There are rpg elements in both games. To me playing them I feel much like playing gothics. In fact, gamefaqs lists its boards under "role playing games".

I enjoyed that one quite a bit, although the reviews werent great, if I remember right. This and Outcast are the Action adventures I enjoyed most, because they had a lot of free-roaming discovery and strong story elements and character interaction. They are in that sense RPG like in many ways, but lack the mechanical foundation of an RPG.

They're both action adventures. I played the first Drakan on PC, and it was an excellent game. Maybe roughly comparable to Tomb Raider, just with swords and a dragon. Spectacular action, beautiful graphics.

Yep, I still have my copy somewhere. Shame they never released the sequel on PC...

I enjoyed that one quite a bit, although the reviews werent great, if I remember right. This and Outcast are the Action adventures I enjoyed most,

I thought of Outcast when I saw the thread title. I never did finish that game, and I always meant to hunt down another copy. I wonder if it's abandonware yet?

Drakan was one of the first and few games with a female "heroine" as the protagonist, that in a time when the Tomb Raider games became popular.

Drakan was one of the first and few games with a female "heroine" as the protagonist, that in a time when the Tomb Raider games became popular.

That is not quite true. Drakan is a 1999 game and Tomb Raider a 1996 game. By 1999 (the year of Tomb Raider IV), the popularity of Tomb Raider was actually declining already.

Can't compare Tomb Raider to Drakan. Tomb Raider doesn't have anything nearly original as dragon fight except for the jumping and climbing. I played TR Anniversary on PS2; Oh, it is a beautiful game but the save game spots are rare and I had to come back to do the jumping all over again. The game would have been much better if I can save as easily as in PC games.

Back
Top Bottom