gaming mice and keyboards?

rpgdude

Watchdog
I bought a logitech G5 laser mouse because of the raved reviews at Amazon. Besides that the left click is more responsive than in standard optical mouse and it let me shoot arrows faster and it is considered a plus, it is heavier than standard mouse even w/o the weights. I reverted back to my optical mouse. Yet I am not so sure may be I just have not get used to it. And how about gaming keyboard?

I love my 1st gen G15 keyboard. I don't use the programmable keys as much as I thought I would, interfaces are these days are already good enough or so simple the programmable keys don't help much. However, the LCD, which I didn't think I'd use as much, I absolutely love. Most of the time I run an applet called SirReal on the LCD which gives me all sorts of feedback but many games have custom output for the LCD too which is great. I wish I had one for work too just for the LCD.

The backlit keys are perfect if you ever play in the dark and I'm happy with the key response. The disable the windows key switch is occasionally handy too.

I did notice the 2nd gen G15 LCD isn't tilt-able and I haven't used one so I'm not sure how the viewing angle is. Other than that the 2nd gen G15 has less G keys but I doubt that's a problem, I only have ever used 2 or 3 at a time even in a game like WoW.

I've gone through a lot of gaming mice, and more than my share of keyboards. I have yet to find a set I'm perfectly happy with.

I used to have a Logitech G5; however, it eventually broke (past the warranty date, of course), and I replaced it with a Razer Lachesis. I've previously had a Razer Copperhead, which wasn't half bad.

However, I think that on balance I preferred the Logitech. The Razer is more picky about the mousepad (e.g. it doesn't work well on an IceMat, which I otherwise like), and it's more sensitive to dirt -- a speck of dust in the wrong place will have the cursor jumping all over the place. The G5 was rock solid in this respect, and I liked the way I could balance it to fit my taste. I certainly haven't found anything I like *better.*

As to keyboards, I have two favorites.

One is the one I'm typing on now: it's Das Keyboard, a completely blank, mechanically switched keyboard manufactured by Cherry. It has very good typing feel. Its main downside is that it's noisy, and, well, blank -- that doesn't bother me when typing (it's kinda cool actually, and it has improved my touch-typing so that nowadays I can find most of the meta keys without looking too), but it is a bit of a problem when gaming; it's not always easy to find, say, the I key to get the inventory if you're hitting it without having your hands properly positioned.

My other favorite is something that's the exact design opposite of the brutally utilitarian Das Keyboard -- namely, the Mac keyboard. I've got one at work. It's nearly silent, the keys have very little travel, but somehow it's really, really comfortable to type on. I honestly can't say which one I like more; however, my wife doesn't much care for the clackety-clack of Das Keyboard, so I figure that when I next upgrade my computer, it'll be a Mac, with the keyboard to match. (Mac keyboards don't play that well with PC's, because the layout is slightly different; you can give it a try, though, if you want.)

Has anybody tried the Fang gamepad? it sounds much on the money than a gaming keyboard.

I use a Logitech MX-5 optical mouse which I really like and an Ideazon Z-Board (Gaming keyboard). Once you get used to the butterfly setup it is hard going back to a regular keyboard :)

Back
Top Bottom