Gothic 3 archer in G3

rpgdude

Watchdog
I have to say that I much prefer the way how archer is handled in G1 & 2. In these games, I only direct the bow towards the direction of a highlighted enemy then shoot and will hit. G3 requires I have to aim so that the mouse cursor either point on the target or above it in case if it is far away. If you think that the later way is closer to real life, you are wrong. Why? a marksman uses his eyes to find the target, and his bow will aim automatically onto the target and causes a hit, much as in driving*. Archer in G3 behaves like a rookie learning to shoot rather than a marksman's.

* we drive with the eyes which automatically coordinate with our hands to keep us on the road when we pass the learning period which may last a year or so.

Strange remark, rpgdude. Almost everyone likes the way of the archer in Gothic3 more. The way of Gothic 3 is simply more challenging then the one of Gothic 1 and 2. I also strongly dissagree with your opinion of it being closer to real life: You look and then you aim with your hands to make your shot. Gothic 3 comes much closer to this. In Gothic 3 you will also learn to do it faster, like a marksman. That's the challenge.

I mostly agree with Bartacus but I wonder why do you use this :biggrin: smilie on every single thread you make?

The way of Gothic 3 is simply more challenging then the one of Gothic 1 and 2. I also strongly dissagree with your opinion of it being closer to real life: You look and then you aim with your hands to make your shot

G3 is more challenging is correct. The other thing isn't. I thought it's obvious. Ok let me explain one more: for example, when a marksman with a gun faces a oponent, does he:

1. take a stance, move his gun up, aim at the other guy then shoot. Or

2. he sees the other guy, then he accomplishes ALL of the above movements in split second including shooting. The difference here is he has the skill of a marksman so the act of shooting comes automatically the second he sees.

So in the first case, he is slow and probably dead.

Last edited:
G3 is more challenging is correct. The other thing isn't. I thought it's obvious. Ok let me explain one more: for example, when a marksman with a gun faces a oponent, does he:

1. take a stance, move his gun up, aim at the other guy then shoot. Or

This is in fact what 99% of marksmen are doing - yes. Don't forget that they also need to do a friend/foe check before firing and that most marksmen are not robots. There will always be a natural barrier to shoot at something that moves and lives in most regular marksmen.

2. he sees the other guy, then he accomplishes ALL of the above movements in split second including shooting. The difference here is he has the skill of a marksman so the act of shooting comes automatically the second he sees.

So in the first case, he is slow and probably dead.

This is what the other 1% of marksmen are like but you will only find this highly sophisticated style of shooting in select special operation units across the world. It takes years and years of training before shooting becomes as natural and as instinctive as you describe.

Anyway, back to topic: It's totally different with a bow. With a bow you need to take a lot of factors into account like wind, distance, trajectory, the type of bow, tendon and arrow you are using etc.
Shooting with a bow is much more like shooting a sniper rifle rather than a regular (hand) gun. It requires a very high level of concentration, a mix of tension and relaxation and very controlled breathing. Otherwise you're just gonna miss.
The way you described shooting a bow "from the hip" makes me think that you might have watched a little too many LotR-style fantasy movies or pseudo-historical movies like Troy lately (or played too many RPGs or something ;) ).

Gothic 3's aiming is "physically" more realistic. As the player gets more used to it, he needs to think less, and aiming becomes more automatic. That at least happened to me. So this is an issue of player skills vs. player character skills.

Almost everyone likes the way of the archer in Gothic3 more.

You say "everyone"? When I played G1 and G2 years ago, I heard the same thing. What 's coincidence! It's more like everyone in THIS forum need to say.

Archery was the thing PB did best for Gothic 3, imho the only improvement they made.

You say "everyone"? When I played G1 and G2 years ago, I heard the same thing. What 's coincidence! It's more like everyone in THIS forum need to say.

Almost every gothic player considers the archery better then the first two gothics -> I go to WoG and the Jowood fora too.

I have actually never seriously played an archer character in Gothic games ... if I want a ranged attack I play mage ... but that is just me :)

Back
Top Bottom