Lord of the Rings Online Discussion

The term "set" just means pieces of equipment that are part of a set, and that set gives you bonuses the more pieces of the set you are wearing. In the Trollshaws area I mentioned, there were 3 separate quests that grant you pieces of a set as rewards. Pretty cool stuff.

The term "set" just means pieces of equipment that are part of a set, and that set gives you bonuses the more pieces of the set you are wearing. In the Trollshaws area I mentioned, there were 3 separate quests that grant you pieces of a set as rewards. Pretty cool stuff.

Have never been a big fan of sets. Usually you're either missing a piece or by the time you get the final bit, have some other stuff that has better stats. Playing an MMO is a bit like being a stamp collector with a very small book in which to put your stamps.

Agreed. But when you do find a set you can use, and find all the pieces at around the same time, it's pretty nice. The set in Echad Candelleth is excellent in this regard. Got all 3 pieces of the set at around the same time and the gear itself was some of the best I've seen at my level.

The best sets I've found are all bartered by the same vendor. My latest "to die for" set is sold by my Guardian trainer in Moria (at the 21st Hall). All the Epic sets there are sld by the your class trainers for Moria Medallions. Note that you don't "need" this stuff, its just drool worthy.

Thanks Todd, for the explanation. Somehow MMOs still scare me (and not just because of the jargon), but I'll proably at least give it a try sometime. Hearing you guys talk about visiting all these great places from the books makes me want to jump right in.
I fought it for a long time. Even when I started DDO, I really tried to play it as a solo game (possible to do, but not really the intention of the design). It really helps if you jump in with a couple people you "know". DDO has its share of idiots and assholes (honestly, it's a very small percentage, but they're "loud" and their antics get lots of publicity) and if you're unlucky enough to stumble on several when you're just getting started it can ruin your impression of the game. I'd assume LOTRO would have the same issue. For DDO, we've got the RPGWatch guild which gives newbies a safe haven while they get used to playing the game--I don't know if it would be possible for y'all to put together a similar thing for LOTRO, assuming you'd want to.

In any MMO you're probably going to get rude people and what not, but so far my experience with LOTRO has been extremely positive as far as the community is involved. 98% of people I've come across have been polite, helpful and friendly. You don't really see a lot of nonsense in the regional chat, at least not on my server. So far it seems pretty good in that regard.

This thread is also tempting me to try out LotRO, that plus DDO. :) Well once I get my DVD drive fixed I was going to drop ME3 MP and try out Gothic, though.

Everybody I've met in game has been great. The only thing I've observed is that many don't have any interest in playing slowly as Fluent noted. You can play solo or group, and mix and match. Really just give it a try. Pick the Vilya server if you do ;)

Running around in Forochel now. Kauppa-kohta. Pretty nice area. I like gaining the trust of the people here. I've never heard of the Lossoth from the books or anything, so this is all pretty new to me. I like the lore here so far. Only staying until level 48 or so when I will head back to the Misty Mountains and finish things up there. Love that place also.

Killed the Thunder Lord last night. That was a trip. It started with me and some random stranger doing a few quests in the Mistys, then all of a sudden we recruited 3 other people to go kill giants. Ran a 5 person group into Iorbar and killed everything on our path :). It was pretty fun. I never expected to get a 5 man group of complete random strangers just by using the LFF there. It was pretty shocking.

Time for your Legendary Items my friend. Social shows you at 44. Head down to Nan Sirannon in Eregion for the quest series assignment! :)

EDIT: FYI Min level is 45.

Thanks for the heads up. Is there any time that the game sends you to Eregion for the legendary items? Weird that the only place I heard about these is from a loading screen. It said to head to southern Eregion to start the quest for them, but that's all it said. Would be nice to get an in-game quest notification or something. But ok, I'll start that. Thanks!!!

all roads lead to Moria, so Eregion is an eventual. Its due south of the TrollShaws by the way. Its just better to start accruing your LI's early for mo powa. Plus the system takes some getting used to - to say the least. I would read some guides and of course feel free to ask questions. Its a real fun system once you get used to it.

I know where the road to Hollin is, I've been on it but I never followed it all the way south. I will have to do that soon.

Does the road lead to Eregion/Moria after you finish up the Misty Mountains epic quests, do you know? I have one epic quest leading me to Angmar, and one quest in the Misty Mountains. I'd like to explore Eregion when I have an official quest or something leading me there, but if that doesn't happen soon then I'll just go down there on my own.

About to fire up LOTRO and finish up some Forochel stuff. I like how the first level of rep for Forochel is "outsider". That's a cool touch that makes sense and makes it seem more believable. I'm currently neutral with them. Probably going to grind a bit and try to increase my rep as much as possible with them. Not sure why, just for something to do I guess. I think I'm going to shoot for the "World Renowned" title and become kindred with every faction if I can...

Personally speaking, I wouldn't get started with Moria until you're tired of the preceding 1-50 content. It marks the start of a downward turn in the design of the game, both quests and atmosphere. Even Eregion is incredibly simplistic in terms of its design and plays like it feels: filler content leading to Moria. My suggestion for compromise is to get the starter legendary item(s) and get away pronto.

I'm sure others will disagree with me, but the game lost a bit of its awe-inspiring magic with Moria and even moreso with later expansions. So take your time.

Have you visited Goblin Town yet? It's difficult to navigate at first but revisiting your memories of The Hobbit novel can be wonderful.

I plan on visiting Goblin Town soon. Once I gain a few levels in Forochel I plan on heading back to the Misty Mountains to finish up quests there.

Why do you feel Moria doesn't have the same magic as the rest of the game? I've loved every place I've visited thus far so I'm hoping Moria stands up to the rest of the game. We shall see. I guess I'll start that around level 50. Off to purchase that expansion right now actually…

Oh, and I definitely don't want to skip Lothlorien, so I'm only doing Moria up to level 55 anyway so I can start Lothlorien at the proper level. Even seems like a bit of a waste buying the entire expansion just for 5 levels of content, but I guess it's good to have…

Edit - Not sure if I should even purchase Moria, now. Mainly because I can quest to level 55 in Eregion, then immediately start Lothlorien. So it's a bit tricky. Time to do a little bit of research and figure this out...

Last edited:
I agree and disagree. I suggest he get his LI's at 45 but agree one should not not enter Moria before 49 or 50. I utterly disagree that Moria marks a downward turn in design. Moria delivers! Shorting Moria for Lothlorien... not so sure about that... you'll see.

I decided to buy the Mithril Edition which includes the Moria quest pack. I probably won't cut Moria short, but I do want to visit Lothlorien at some point. I'll probably bounce between the 2 zones like I've been doing with most zones in the game.

Mithril Edition seems like a great buy. 4 quest packs including Moria plus 2000 turbine points for $20. Sweet deal.

Good decision. Respectfully, I can't for the life relate to the perspective that Moria marks a decline in atmosphere. Eregion is fine for what it is, but ill agree it is nothing remarkable. The place you get you Legendaries and a welcome mat for Moria.

Haven't gone to Eregion at all yet but it's on my list of things to do. Bought the Mithril Edition and with the extra turbine points purchased my 6th inventory bag. Sweet! Not sure what else I should grab. I guess I'll just let the points add up and keep them there if I ever need them...

It's been a while, but there is a shared bank add-on available for purchase yeah? I recommend that and the "wallet".

Back
Top Bottom