VtM: Redemption - Review @ RPG Codex

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The RPG Codex posted a new review of Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption.

One game the Codex never got around to reviewing is Nihilistic Software's Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption, published in 2000 by Activision. Compared to the much more celebrated Bloodlines, Redemption has fallen into relative obscurity, and isn't generally considered a very good game. Is this reputation deserved? Read on to find out.
More information.

I played this more than ten years ago and had a lot of fun. I remember great music and atmosphere (especially in the first, medieval part of the game) as well as challenging combat.

I also had lots of fun in this game. I played it twice although I don't remember if I managed to finish it twice. Yea, it was action oriented but followed PnP rules more closely than the Bloodlines one did. Also Vampire PnP was still a party based game and in that aspect it was also more similar to PnP than Bloodlines. Bloodlines was better in all other things.

Apart from a few balance issues (dexterity is the superior combat attribute; charisma or watchamacallit allows you to sell at a higher price than you bought at), this game is a lot of fun. Very atmospheric - you should enjoy stilted language though.

Its greatest flaw (apart from utter linearity) probably is that there simply isn't much to do. Too few NPC's to talk to, basically no side quests to speak of.

Apart from a few balance issues (dexterity is the superior combat attribute; charisma or watchamacallit allows you to sell at a higher price than you bought at), this game is a lot of fun. Very atmospheric - you should enjoy stilted language though.

Its greatest flaw (apart from utter linearity) probably is that there simply isn't much to do. Too few NPC's to talk to, basically no side quests to speak of.

It was developed by a very small team. For its time it was the best-looking game out there upon release, and the facial character animations were unrivalled.

It has some nice atmosphere and an intriguing story, but when it came down to it it was a limited and linear party-based Diablo-like game that didn't have much of anything in terms of content or role-playing possibilities.

It wasn't diablo like or our definitions are very different. It was more like IWD in a different setting but less quests.
And yea, in storyteller system dex is stat that determines hit chances and hit chance that was better than enemy defense gave you bonus damage.

I spent quite some time looking this game up after I had played through "Bloodlines" the first time. As far as I recall, I was a little uncomfortable with the controls & ui at first but after a couple of hours I had no more problems at all and I thought it was a pretty good game in it´s own right.

Not as good as "Bloodlines" but still very much worth playing. I especially enjoyed the concept of starting out as a knight in the middle of the dark ages and then finding myself in the big city in modern times.

The codex review was imho. way to negative. After all, for (propably most) of the players, making comparations between the original pen & paper game and the crpg is not much of an issue, neither is the fact that the real life locations doesn´t excatly match those in the game. Same thing with some of the other critizism that was made.

Back
Top Bottom