My anti-virus is blocking rpgwatch, says it has a virus

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
I have avast anti-virus program, and its blocking the rpgwatch website, it says it has an infection - "URL:Mal" is the name it gives of the infection.

This is the first time this has happened. Can anyone confirm this, or is it something wrong with my anti-virus? Avast has a very good reputation though, so not sure.

Or maybe you guys should check it out, and make sure the site isn't infected?

I'm accessing rpgwatch through my tablet right now instead of my laptop computer because of this.

The site is Virus free and we have another thread about the topic.:)

Here is the Link and Myrthos's replies about the problem.

Link - http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141&page=17
I can't find anything wrong with it. For now I upgraded it to the latest version of the ads software, changed the passwords and asked Google to verify it again, so it can be removed from the black list.

As mentioned in a previous post, it is listed on Google as serving malware. A review is in process to get it unlisted. Takes a maximum of 24 hours.

No clue as to how it got on that list though.

Mediarpg is part of our server. There is no malware on it. I went through it anyway and changed passwords to be sure. I don't know what triggered this. We only ran the GOG ads and none of the links were infected.

Perhaps it was something silly as me forgetting to remove the ads for games that were removed by GOG and the links linking to the wrong pages.

At this moment rpgwatch.com has been reviewed and was found to be clean. Waiting on mediarpg to be cleared.

Ok, thanks much for the info, I wasn't aware of that. I guess I can put rpgwatch as an exception list so avast won't block it for now, or I might just wait until the clearing process is complete and it doesn't trip avast anymore.

Yeah, I can't access RPGWatch anymore except if I use TOR. I use the MVPS HOSTS file, and I think one of the malware links in the HOSTS file blocks my access.

Yeah me too, ever since a few days ago when I couldn't access the site for just about the whole night. My Avast is giving a popup saying that its blocking the www.mediarpg.com banner ads, like this:

hxxp://www.mediarpg.com/ads//banners/banner-5.jpg

URL:Mal

Nothing else seems amiss though

The site has been tested by Google to be virus free.
Congratulations! Google has received and processed your malware review request. We did not detect any malware on your site.

As a result, we're removing the malware warning from your site. This may take some time to happen. (You can check the status of your malware review at any time using Webmaster Tools.)
Any warnings are due to whatever Anti-virus software you use.

well i just got this while using chrome, hadn't had this msg last couple of days (or actually never) when visiting the site:

The site ahead contains malware

Attackers currently on www.mediarpg.com might attempt to install dangerous programs on your computer that steal or delete your information (for example, photos, passwords, messages, and credit cards).

Firefox also reported it as blacklisted by Google. Chrome on the other hand didn't.

Yep, Google's "Safe Browsing" system now blocking rpgwatch.com, which means Firefox/Chrome will as well. Got the warning from Firefox just now, must have started in the last few hours.

I think the ads from mediarpg.com should be temporary removed until the problem can be resolved!

It appears the forum is now affected according to Google. Here is Myrthos's reply.
Yes, Google again has listed RPGWatch for some reason. It only detected something on the forum pages.

The ads processing is differently on the forums (via javascript) than on the front page (through PHP). I will convert the forums processing to PHP, but it means changing the forums source files to accomplish that, which isn't too great on updating software.

I have no clue why this happens. It has worked for years and now all the sudden Google finds it is suspicious and presents some real cryptic messages as to why it thinks it is suspicious.
I see this happen on a lot of sites, and you rarely get any help from Google.:-/

Well, better now than later. I've got Google fiber on the way! ;)

I looks like it is a Google issue rather than an antivirus issue. I don't have a problem accessing the site at home using Firefox with AVG as antivirus. meanwhile at work I get the warning if I use Chrome, but not if I use Internet Explorer.

Let's just blame the Codex. ;)

It appears the forum is now affected according to Google. Here is Myrthos's reply.
I see this happen on a lot of sites, and you rarely get any help from Google.:-/

This is why it is a really bad idea to use any form of automated content curator maintained by a corporation, such as the "anti-spyware checklists" from Google present on Firefox and Google Chrome, which essentially also track you and are correlated by Google with your whole browsing history. I always disable all of them. It also makes me think of "Web of Trust", which is a popular curator that is often abused by competitors of a given site to bury it and make it appear shady and unreliable. Even though most false positives are due to a mundane reason, I don't want to allow a corporation to decide what I'm allowed to see; I'll decide that for myself.

I always disable all ads too. Although there are many dumb false positives, real infections through third party ad networks do happen from time to time, and also there's the concern of being tracked by shadowy entities. I'll probably make some donation to the forum at some point to compensate.

Firefox yesterday suddenly stopped launching RPGWatch.

Back
Top Bottom