RPGWatch Feature - Alpha Protocol Impressions

(initially mis-posted in a different news thread)

While I haven't played enough to say categorically, I find it hard to see how anyone could achieve a completely non-lethal game, as promised.

I just finished the game with a tech/stealth/pistol character (normal difficulty) with only 19 enemies killed - and all those were killed because I was sleepy and ran through one mission mistakenly using normal bullets instead of tranquilizers.

It´s not only possible to achieve a completely non-lethal game, the game also quite often rewards player for non-lethal approach.
I really enjoyed playing my merciful stealthy dude and felt the game supported this kind of playstyle more than enough.

Other than that, a really nice and fair article!

I´ve to say, as a whole package Alpha Protocol left me very positively impressed.
It hasn´t level design of Deus Ex quality, stealth gameplay of Thief quality and production values of Mass Effect 2, sure, it´s actually mostly mediocre in these aspects.

On the other hand there is a very intriguing story, memorable and genre-wise very fitting characters, interesting dossier mechanics and most importantly, the game is a marvel of narrative design. Player faces choices and consequences (sometimes unforseeable, but c´est la vie) at every step and the resulting level of world reactivity makes imo this game worth a play alone.
Timed dialogues are a bit flawed because stances sometimes simply aren´t descriptive enough and in a lot of cases more benevolent time limit would be more sensible, but the system works really well at keeping player on his toes and making him really pay attention to what´s being said.
Another tension boosters are minigames and checkpoint-only save system. Save system definitely has its quirks, minigames I´ve found personally very well implemented.
All in all, the whole game is very effective at keeping player constantly on his toes.

After a weaker start (tutorial, Saudi Arabia), the game was progressively getting better and more exciting (my order was Moscow -> Rome -> Taipei) and the endgame was satisfying and suitably over the top.

Besides the occasional one-time stutter and one nonfunctional activator solved by reload, I encountered zero bugs and crashes which is quite impressive, especially given the amount of narrative variables.

Despite its many flaws (none being serious imo), Alpha Protocol is a game with heart in the right place and has more than enough virtues to be considered a creative success.
Especially when it comes to narrative design it´s quite a milestone.
A lot of reviewers seem to be blowing the flaws out of proportions while subduing the virtues, which is btw the exact opposite what they do when it comes to "true" AAA titles like Mass Effect and co.

I really hope Obsidian will be able to continue the franchise.

It´s not only possible to achieve a completely non-lethal game, the game also quite often rewards player for non-lethal approach.
I really enjoyed playing my merciful stealthy dude and felt the game supported this kind of playstyle more than enough.

Other than that, a really nice and fair article!

Thanks for the kind words.

I did leave the door open to being wrong but I'm actually glad to hear it. I assumed the rocket-launcher attack on the Stryker vehicle in Saudi Arabia must have been lethal to someone (other than Shaheed) at least. I was also stuck on the Brayco fight at the time and assumed that would have a lethal ending - I should have realised that wouldn't necessarily be the case. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Are you all saying that gamespot's 6/10 is an utter fail and the reason never check the game ranking there?
You didn't have to tell me that, I knew it from the start. ;)

Actually, I think Gamespot's review was very fair in this instance.

Well, it's possible not to kill anyone, but wouldn't that be a bit overdoing it? :)

I mean I felt a bit wrong for choosing to execute Brayko - mainly because no other game had given me the choice to speak with the boss after the final fight and decide what his fate would be. But I remembered what a bastard he was from the intel I gathered and was OK with it. And some of those gangsters, mercenaries, you fight - no need to spare them really, right?

And even if you're playing the ultra-pacifist - there are some choices in the game where you will inevitably get someone killed for the sake of someone else/many others. Even though you're not the one who's physically doing it, your game won't be exactly non-lethal, there's always collateral damage.

So I felt justified to mow down enemies if they're not civilians, innocent or pottentional-ally-faction's soldiers/mercs.

btw - a funny moment was when the Triad boss sent me on a mission to kill 3 guys, and I fought everyone there with tranquilizers and hand-to-hand attacks - I defeated them all without actually killing anyone - yet the game and the Triad acted like it was Mission Accomplished - how so? I didn't kill them. :lol:

Yeah, I don't get the review hate this game is engendering. It's not perfect, it's not polished, and the hacking game is a headache even if I succeed at it more often than not. But it's pretty fun and interesting and RPG-y.

If I had to guess, I would say most of the people complaining heavily expected something shooter with rpg. It's really more of an rpg with rough shooter mechanics.

If I had to guess, I would say most of the people complaining heavily expected something shooter with rpg. It's really more of an rpg with rough shooter mechanics.

That's what it is, you're right, but it looks like a shooter RPG, and so people are comparing it to other shooter-RPGs (ME), where it falls short.

Sounds like it has a lot of "polish" issues that are bringing down the score.

Beyond that, though, the RPG elements (particularly dialog/c+c) sound solid.

I get it, the action elements are amateur hour, the hacking mini game is designed for a 360 controller and is floaty and hard to control otherwise (timed no less), action sequences that require me to use ladders and other animation locking scripts (while the computer is freely blowing me away with ak 47 rifles), floaty unresponsive camera (I have a 5600 dpi mouse, still floaty), sudden sequences where I have to kill people, blarg!

Other than that, I really like it honestly.

I liked the game, the c&c element and the storytelling was great, loved how the conversations with Leland blended in. Gameplay was absoloutley terrible, the stealth aspect was the worst part, imagine this game with the gameplay of splinter cell. The timed dialogue makes perfect sense, it's very logical that a spy has to make quick decisions, and the checkpoint system is needed so that you'll have to live with them, this again increases the replayability. 7/10 is probably a fair score, but still more enjoyable than most regular shooters.
Will play it again tomorrow on easy, just to see even more consequences and to reveal parts of the conspiracy I didn't learn about this time.

I'll try on Hard for the next replay - the enemy AI was waaay too easy on me, especially when sneaking - with some points on that you can get away with everything.

Though some of the boss fights on the other hand were…

AAARGH!!! STOP CONSTANTLY THROWING GRENADES AT ME AND SNIPING ME YOU FRIGGING BASTARD!!! >:O I'LL KILL YOU, ILLKILLYOUILLKILLYOU111!!!

But now that I know some strategies and how enemies generally act I hope it won't be that frustrating.

Darcy. Annoying fight. Nowadays I just run into the tower with the sniper rifle by using Sabotage on the door (using an EMP charge instead of unlocking it with a puzzle) and snipe him as soon as possible. Before trying that tactic I tried a whole bunch of different things, none of which worked very well.

Annoying Darcy himself... Actually I don't think there is another way except the sniper - I died a hundred ways trying other stuff to no avail - enemies keep re-spawning, bastard shoots you when you show yourself, lobs constantly grenades wherever you are...

Also for some reason the sniper cursor was moving slow and was difficult to position... I almost burst into tears of joy when I finally took him out!

I'm glad I read that spoiler. That'll save me a lot of trouble.

Hmm, the first thing I tried against Darcy was to get into his tower, but there didn't seem to be any option to open the door at all. I must have another go at that. I must say, that fight is a low point of the game

just finished and it was easily one of the top 10 rpgs i've ever played. as far as games are concerned there's very few that take place in "modern day" that can even come close to the game. obviously it does have its flaws and the first 5 hours or so of the game i was really disappointed. got exponentially better especially with the writing and choices that kept multiplying. and of course the payoff for the non-lethal approach. the game took me around 40 hours or a bit less i think. a couple of the boss fights took me a few hours on their own, most notably good damn brayko...followed by marburg. i learned my lesson by that point and since i was playing the game on hard, and took the "recruit" option from the beginning (an effective -3 levels) i'm sure it would it been somewhat easier. yes chain shot became my friend since it was the only non-lethal weapon skill i could use. by the time i got to darcy and leland it was almost not much of a challenge. i may have not "killed" anyone in the stats, though i did put down darcy, there were obvious deaths from the choices in the game but such is life...even in makebelieve.

honestly i think the main problem people have with the game is that a) the game is far too clever and unique for most players especially the average gaming teenager b) its political writing and rather obtuse anti-corporate and thoughtful commentary are either antithetical to what many gamers want to hear or are missed on them altogether. c) since its neither a twitch based shooter nor a pure stats based rpg many of those folks aren't going to be willing to put up with its relative learning curves and other minor issues.

my congrats to the whole obsidian team to a marvelous game that i will always treasure and hopefully over time people will come back to treasure when then realize its rareness. alpha protocol 2 is supposed in the works but i'll hardly get my hopes up for that since the amount of time that went into the first i can't imagine sega not finding some financial reason for it to be not viable. as long as obsidian doesn't go the way of ion storm austin or troika...

just a note to all the people who think the stealth portion is lame. one you probably don't have enough points in stealth and arguably more important you can't wear body armor early on--sound is everything. i think i wore casual clothes for nearly all of the saudi missions.

honestly i think the main problem people have with the game is that a) the game is far too clever and unique for most players especially the average gaming teenager b) its political writing and rather obtuse anti-corporate and thoughtful commentary are either antithetical to what many gamers want to hear or are missed on them altogether. c) since its neither a twitch based shooter nor a pure stats based rpg many of those folks aren't going to be willing to put up with its relative learning curves and other minor issues.

Or possibly d) The game simply doesn't appeal to everyone.

Seriously, I'm glad you liked it, but to imply that most gamers didn't like it because they weren't clever enough to understand it is absurd.

just a note to all the people who think the stealth portion is lame. one you probably don't have enough points in stealth and arguably more important you can't wear body armor early on—sound is everything. i think i wore casual clothes for nearly all of the saudi missions.
Well, there's that. But the amount of points you to invest in stealth before it pays off is really quite alot. Especially as a recruit it can really be a turn-off in Saudi-Arabia. To make things even worse, it's completely useless in a lot of the bossfights .

And like JDR13 said, you can't expect everyone to like it. Some people don't like it because of the setting, nothing wrong with that is it?

Last edited:
Annoying Darcy himself… Actually I don't think there is another way except the sniper - I died a hundred ways trying other stuff to no avail - enemies keep re-spawning, bastard shoots you when you show yourself, lobs constantly grenades wherever you are…

Also for some reason the sniper cursor was moving slow and was difficult to position… I almost burst into tears of joy when I finally took him out!

In my first playthrough I haven´t noticed the sniper tower at all.
Thanks to maxed silent running and shadow operative (+ master brilliance) I had no problem getting close to Darcy´s tower and end him with pistol chain shots.
In my second playthrough I had maxed assault rifle and was able to snipe him with it right from the place you´re at when the fight starts.
So for some builds there definitely is a way :).

Well, there's that. But the amount of points you to invest in stealth before it pays off is really quite alot. Especially as a recruit it can really be a turn-off in Saudi-Arabia. To make things even worse, it's completely useless in a lot of the bossfights .

Not true. You can´t kill bosses via stealth kill (you can minibosses), sure, but the silent running/shadow operative is almost always useful in bossfights - lets you find strategic position, get close to the boss, avoid henchmen, etc.

For example:
mrbrwm.jpg

In my first playthrough I haven´t noticed the sniper tower at all.
Thanks to maxed silent running and shadow operative (+ master brilliance) I had no problem getting close to Darcy´s tower and end him with pistol chain shots.
In my second playthrough I had maxed assault rifle and was able to snipe him with it right from the place you´re at when the fight starts.
So for some builds there definitely is a way :).

Not true. You can´t kill bosses via stealth kill (you can minibosses), sure, but the silent running/shadow operative is almost always useful in bossfights - lets you find strategic position, get close to the boss, avoid henchmen, etc.

For example:
mrbrwm.jpg

Huh. For those that haven't finished the game, don't read this:
How did you end up fighting him? I never met him in combat, just met him in a cutscene denouement at the end. At one point I thought I was about to, but nope, just strolled into his office and beat him up. I wonder what we did differently. Kinda cool though.

Huh. For those that haven't finished the game, don't read this:
How did you end up fighting him? I never met him in combat, just met him in a cutscene denouement at the end. At one point I thought I was about to, but nope, just strolled into his office and beat him up. I wonder what we did differently. Kinda cool though.

Well, you fight him if you don´t fight Westridge. However, I´m not quite sure what are exact prerequisites for Westridge not to show up.
In the playthrough I´ve fought Leland, Westridge liked me, I haven´t killed any fellow agents, chose not to "betray my country" in Shaheed pre-endgame dialogue and refused Leland´s offer to join Halbech.
I guess Westridge always shows up if you join Halbech or choose to "betray the country". Not sure if he shows up anyway if you killed any CIA agents or have "dislike" reputation with him, but probably not - these two variables may come into play in the case you killed Shaheed in Saudi Arabia though.

So my conclusive guess is, guaranteed way to get Leland as a final boss is: spare Shaheed in Saudi Arabia, then in the pre-endgame meeting with him agree to use his information to bring down Halbech but not betray the US, refuse Leland´s offer if it comes up.
There may be other ways however as there´s a shitload of variables coming into play during the endgame :).

Back
Top Bottom