Underworld sequel

Apparently KS is available for french projects now. So I might look into that. Not for now but it's become an option.

Go for it youngster!! :)

Looking good, Charles.

thanks, Nut :)

I wrote an entry with details about the mechanics. Several important things have changed.

http://www.olderbytes.com/combat-on-the-new-engine.html

Swords and sorcery – Underworld evolved quite a bit since it’s Gold version release… Almost three years ago. I scratched everything and built a new engine. Now I’m going to ease back into the habit I never had of making steady updates by showing a quick combat video. And commenting on the changes. The best stuff is at the bottom ;)

First of all, there are portraits. These are visible throughout the game but in combat there are a couple things to take note of.

They are layed out in their actual combat positions. There are three rows of two, which represents their actual position in combat. Therefore the first two are most exposed.
Characters (and monsters) are grayed out when out of melee range. (It does NOT mean they are inactive, nor does the highlighting indicate which character/monster is up). This allows for many things, including tactical positionning options. These include: join or leave melee, order everyone forward or to retreat, or move to the front. there is also the protect option (given the character carries a shield) which allows him or her to set themselves alongside or in front of a companion and physically “share their armor”. They effectively change position in the roster. Monsters can have similar behavior.
The combat log now appears in real time in the top left corner. This allows for much quicker combat since there is no longer a need for a pause to allow players to follow friendly and enemy actions.

Visual effect for spells.

All options appear in the bottom row and can be clicked or activated with their keyboard shortcuts (those appear on the left when hovered). Several actions are unlocked later with the earning of new levels. Naturally, spell casters are rewarded with new spells.

Ambidextria allows Knights and Rogues to use two 1H weapons.
Stun allows the rogue to immobilize a foe for some time (how many rounds depends on an accuracy and luck versus the monster’s endurance and luck check).
Burst allows the archer to shoot three arrows simultaneously (with damage per shot reduced by 25%).
Later, Barrage allows the archer to shoot all visible targets (up to 10) with a 50% damage score.
Berserk allows the Knight to hit all enemies in melee with a loss of 50% of his/her own life bar.
Bleed allows the Rogue to inflict cumulative damage over time, but you’ll need a high level for this one.
Powerhouse allows the Knight to replace 1H weapons with 2H weapons. Meaning potentially two 2H if he/she chooses to not carry a shield.
To make this work better, I redesigned both the monster and item database. Monsters now have the same attributes as characters. Some attributes like endurance, spirit, intelligence and luck are used in different checks, allowing for much more variety of resistances and weaknesses. This info can be collected with a spell called Read Mind that’ll help you figure out how to defeat the tougher enemies in later stages of the game.

Another example is the Rogue no longer systematically leaves stealth mode after an attack. An accuracy and luck versus intelligence and luck check determines whether he/she remains unseen or is spotted by the target. If the target is killed by an assassination, the Rogue will remain unseen no matter what.

Weapons now have a penetration and minimum strength score. I added this mainly to accomodate the Archer. The Archer’s damage now exclusively depends on his/her accuracy and luck (to a lesser extent of course), regardless of strength. But to use a more powerful weapon, the Archer will have to match the weapon’s minimum strength. Penetration is deducted from the target’s armor score before determining final damage. While this helps balance the Archer’s contribution to the group, it works the same for melee weapons (whose damage scores are determined by strength.) But bows tend to have higher penetration scores than swords or daggers.

To further accomodate this system, I changed the way weapons work as well. They no longer add to the character’s damage score but multiply it (+0.20*Base Melee, +5.5*Base Ranged…). The weakest ranged weapon (sling) adds 20% to base ranged damage (the accuracy score). The most powerful melee and ranged weapons exceed 10*. Scores of armor and special items have attribute bonuses and many can be enchanted later in the game.

I’ll explain in my next entry how the entirely new character creation and development system works in this context.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Thanks :) I hope you'll like the added complexity too when the time comes. You should be getting an updated game this fall and finally some focus on the sequel.

Hey Charles you should get something together as a news post....any idea when we will see the updated game 1?

I got the email;)

Hi rune_74, I'm not sure what you mean, there's a blog entry... Release is scheduled for fall. There's still quite a bit of tweaking to do.

Hi rune_74, I'm not sure what you mean, there's a blog entry… Release is scheduled for fall. There's still quite a bit of tweaking to do.

I meant on the first page o f this site....already seems to be done:)

Hi Charles, two questions about the sequel:

from the screenshots it would seem you only control 4 characters this time, and that skills have ranks. If so that would be much appreciated.

I meant on the first page o f this site….already seems to be done:)

Ah yes indeed, thanks Myrthos :)

Hi Charles, two questions about the sequel:

from the screenshots it would seem you only control 4 characters this time, and that skills have ranks. If so that would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure what screenshots you are referring to but no, it remains a 6 character party.

Yes skills will have varying degrees of proficiency in the sequel. Points and almost certainly expertise, mastery, grand mastery and the like. That isn't set in stone yet but a large open world makes these things fit right in.

good to know, thanks!

I was referring to some screenshots on your site that seemed to show 4 characters spread along the bottom of the page. I prefer 4 characters but I'm fine with 6.

good to know, thanks!

I was referring to some screenshots on your site that seemed to show 4 characters spread along the bottom of the page. I prefer 4 characters but I'm fine with 6.

I see what you mean now. Those are character creation screens and the four portraits are the choices offered for class/race/gender. There are four for each combination.

Hi Charles,

The new edition of Underworld changes the core mechanics a lot. Does that mean that save games from the current version will not work? I don't want to restart the game, so it may be better to finish playing it in the current version.

Hi Charles,

The new edition of Underworld changes the core mechanics a lot. Does that mean that save games from the current version will not work? I don't want to restart the game, so it may be better to finish playing it in the current version.

Hi Notorious,

You're right the saves aren't compatible. I'll let you be the judge whether you play the current version or the next one but the next one is more fleshed out.

In any case you'll be getting the update at no charge, just to be clear!

@humanity has risen Done ;)

Will check this out a bit later.

There was a newsbit about this a few days ago but I'm just going to leave this here for those that might have missed it.

It's the trailer announcing SSUDE release on Nov 3rd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPYGNzu-VOg

Back
Top Bottom