Worlds of Magic - Development Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Wastelands Interactive released a new development update for Worlds of Magic on the games kickstarter page. Here is a small part of the update.

More Progress

Greetings our wonderfully supportive and imaginative backers! We have a bit of news to share with you. As is often the case I'll just jump in!

Spells of Magic

Yes, I know spells are magic, of course, but I have to come up with some kind of “header” for each topic. Moving on: The spell lists are growing very quickly. We have a number of active topics on the backers' forums where we are fleshing out the lists. There is some really good stuff there. You can expect a WoM version of Black Channels for instance. There's also something akin to Zombie Mastery in there. One of the top tier Life spells allows you to resurrect any fallen unit after a battle (at a high cost, of course). The point is that if you're really into spells you may want to come by the forums and throw your opinion in the hat. We're in a state of active development at the moment. You can find the topics here:

Backers' Forums – Spells Section

It's also worth mentioning at this point that the spells are going to be very, very moddable. For instance you can currently change: Costs (Research, Casting, Infusing, and Upkeep), Duration, Area of Effect, Spell Circle(s), Tier, Icon, and Visual Effect. (You can actually change more than that, but we'll wait to give you more details until the editing system is a little farther along.)

GUI

As you can see from the screenshot above the main GUI is still evolving. We hope you guys are going to love it. We certainly do. The world map itself is also still undergoing development. We feel certain you'll agree that it keeps looking better and better.

Translation

We are also currently working on translation. This is one of the areas where we could use your help. We're looking for volunteers to help us with the translation. If you would like to help us translate it into your native language, please let us know!

As always we want to thank you. Soon we hope to show our thanks in the form of a number of game play videos we plan to release. They'll offer you a taste of what's to come!
More information.

I´m very psyched about this one!

Supposedly close to being a spiritual successor to Microproses Master of Magic, this game is looking very promising. Especially to someone who was practically addicted to MoM for a while back in the late nineties. ;)

WOW, thanks, I would never have found this without coverage on the site, I love master of magic! Microproses games are the best!

From Escapist about Microprose:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/8320-Know-Your-Gaming-Roots
They were bought out by Spectrum HoloByte. And then sold to Hasbro Interactive. Which was subsequently swallowed up by Infogrames. Which in turn became Atari Interactive. I don't think we can say there's anything left of the original team or company culture that brought about those games, but at least some of the franchises live on. Compared to the other companies in this list, this is actually a relatively happy ending.

But I didn't support this game.
Why not? Microprose didn't make phonegames nor would ever say they're developing a PC game that will be ported from PC to phones.

Excuse me. Impressed with what? Impressed with - a phonegame?
For god's sakes. What can ever be impressive in a phonegame? Please explain it to me as I can't understand it. All I can understand is that some people are impressed over using living sheep to clear a minefield as it's the easiest and cheapest way.

I just wanted to say, Microprose back then was not Interplay with a masterplan to betray fans.

Perhaps if you clicked on the link above to see what mobile phones looked like in the 80s, you'd understand why creating a game for them would have been a truly impressive feat.

Excuse me. Impressed with what? Impressed with - a phonegame?
For god's sakes. What can ever be impressive in a phonegame? Please explain it to me as I can't understand it. All I can understand is that some people are impressed over using living sheep to clear a minefield as it's the easiest and cheapest way.

Perhaps if you read my posts carefully, you'd understand that to me a phone is a phone and should remain being a phone, not trying to be Cray or a quantum computer.
In another words, give me a cheap rotten braincancer inducing phone so ET can phone home with it. For games, leave me to my PC and others to their proper consoles.

I'm clearly being too subtle so let me spell it out. Phone games did not exist when Microprose was around. So obviously they did not make them.

Perhaps if you read my posts carefully, you'd understand that to me a phone is a phone and should remain being a phone, not trying to be Cray or a quantum computer.
In another words, give me a cheap rotten braincancer inducing phone so ET can phone home with it. For games, leave me to my PC and others to their proper consoles.

I've seen the trailer, it doesn't look at all like the original. in the "evolved" way, that is.
the camera angles are too much, why not fixed view?
it looks more like those empire games than MoM. with all those hordes and armies of units, just too many units onscreen, its messy.
the closest one to the original I've played and liked were age of wonders and king's bounty.

keep it simple, and graphically evolved. gameplay was fantastic already on the first game.

@rikus: The trailer you saw is actually not very up-to-date ;) Here you can see some up-to-date screenshots from the world map: http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/02/ask-the-devs-a-question-worlds-of-magic/

And about the camera. Both on the battleboard and on the world map, there will be at least 2 camera modes to choose. Ortho + perspective (on the battleborads) and top-down (on the world map). So both old fans of MoM and more modern players could be satisfied ;)

well, now that looks ways better!
congrats, will keep a close watch on this.
would recommend spending time on giving these examples in the trailer, for other rushers such as myself :)

They released a new video but it's for backers only. I actually liked what I saw. You can see the changes from the old videos, and screenshots.

I hope it doesn't get delayed again. I have a feeling it will though.:(

Last edited:
There should be another video for everyone in not far future. And by the way, there are frequent updates with some art and screenshots from the game on the facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/WorldsOfMagic if anyone wants to stay tuned :)

Back
Top Bottom