BioWare - David Gaider Leaves

This is good news. I hope bioware can now start making rpgs again.

Whatever you think of modern Bioware, I don't think David Gaider leaving will change much.

Extremely doubtful that this guy was the only thing holding them back from doing that.

This is good news. I hope bioware can now start making rpgs again.

Like his style or not, he was all but the last vestige of old BioWare left. The company is really a shell now, a name only.

I'd already left the 'fandom' of BioWare due to DA 2 and the ending of ME3 - not due to writing, but to game design choices - and the open world nature of DA:I just cemented my decision that BioWare didn't make games that I loved anymore.

Gaider leaving (and I wasn't his biggest fan, but I didn't hate the guy either) just kinda is the capstone on the end of a BioWare I cared anything about.

Like his style or not, he was all but the last vestige of old BioWare left. The company is really a shell now, a name only.

I'd already left the 'fandom' of BioWare due to DA 2 and the ending of ME3 - not due to writing, but to game design choices - and the open world nature of DA:I just cemented my decision that BioWare didn't make games that I loved anymore.

Gaider leaving (and I wasn't his biggest fan, but I didn't hate the guy either) just kinda is the capstone on the end of a BioWare I cared anything about.
Old Bioware died long time ago, some time after DAO and ME1.

Modern Bioware game sales still owe a lot to loyalty and excitement born out of their past success. With CDPR and others now well in front, Bioware will struggle sales wise unless they sort the actual quality of their games out big time.

Old Bioware died long time ago, some time after DAO and ME1.

After DA:O would be roughly DA2 time.

So... we're saying the same thing.

ME1 = 2007
DA:O = 2009
ME2 = 2010
DA2 = 2011
ME3 = 2013

So, if you want to nitpick me and say it was ME2 time and not DA2 time, you are saying I'm wrong by about 1-2 years... or basically 1 game release.

I think we were pretty much in agreement, though. ;)

Ye gads just reading "DA2" makes me feel ill, such was the abomination of that game.

I don't really give a rat's arse about some artificial separation between "new" Bio and "old" Bio ;) . All that matters to me are the individual games and whether they are fun or not.

Sadly, to me, most of their old games are generic, boring snoozefests (BG, KotOR... yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnn :biggrin: ).
The games I liked are DAO, ME2 (and ME3 to a lesser extent but still OK), and DAI (currently playing and -while not awesome- it's mostly alright). I also enjoyed SWTOR for quite a while and return to it every now and then when they have new expansions.

I'm very cautiously optimistic for the new ME. The retarded ending of part 3 kind of ruined the whole universe for me with the extremely far-fetched reasoning for the Reaper harvest but if they reboot it properly then I might get it on sale one day.
I hope they will continue to do GOTY bundles with MEA. That would be nice to get it all in one package in 2018 or whenever they are done releasing DLC.

I didn't really care about the inclusion of alternate sexualities in RPGs like DA2. I just wish there had been a global controller for it in the game options or some warning up front, rather than discovering it during the cut scenes. (Kind of an eww moment for me--not exactly PC thinking, I know.) Anyway, good luck to Mr. Gaider.

I didn't really care about the inclusion of alternate sexualities in RPGs like DA2. I just wish there had been a global controller for it in the game options or some warning up front, rather than discovering it during the cut scenes. (Kind of an eww moment for me--not exactly PC thinking, I know.) Anyway, good luck to Mr. Gaider.

Eh, what? Disable companion come on's in the menu options?
No, no... more, more. Plus Inquisitor's pick up lines are pure gold.

"It's cold in my tent, all alooone"
"Oooh baby". :p

Last Bioware game I played was DAO, and I haven't considered any thing they have produced for the PC since worth my time. There is also the small point that I have stoped buying all EA's games due to the way they conduct their business.
As some have pointed out earlier Gaider leaving Bioware removes the last of the high profile old timers
Hopefully he will find new chalanges for his skills elseware.

Inclusivity? Sorry, I thought it's called partiality when someone pushes his personal sexual agenda.

Someone here obviously doesn't know the meaning of inclusivity.

Besides, I don't really think much will change in Bioware. They will basically continue to explore the things as before and further "dumb down" their games. Why? Because that's what sells. The AAA industry is getting just too bigger not to try and sell their games to the most casual audience.

Aw, sad Gaider is sad.

sad_gaider.jpg

Also, anybody know how to get a tweet to embed around here?

Why is he sad?
No logic there. Unless EA didn't pay him so he got broke.

Sorry, that came across as way snarkier than I intended -- I actually like the guy.

It's natural to be sad, his choice to leave or not -- he must feel it far more than we do that he's the last of the old guard at a storied institution. And you know what they say about breakin' up.

To me the surprising thing is how long a lot of these people in the gaming industry say in one place so long. In a world where three to four years seems the max at any one place.

I didn't feel the guy at all really, probably because I'm more into Bioware's spammers on Bioware forum… ;)
Gaider wasn't really in touch with the community like Schumacher and some others. I kinda like Bioware's trolls. Never-troll-fans dogooders like Gaider… Meh. They're boring like grinding.

For years spent in the industry if we knew how big their paycheck is, I'm sure there would be no surprise they're working at the same company for decades.

To me the surprising thing is how long a lot of these people in the gaming industry say in one place so long. In a world where three to four years seems the max at any one place.

Well, I can understand very well if writers cling to their job like a leech. As a writer, I believe you can and should be very happy to be employed at all. Hundreds, if not thousands, of aspirants are lining up behind each writer, dying to take their place. It's not a position you give up easily unless you either have to or can afford to. If what Gaider said is true, and he was not fired, then he must have a really good backup plan apparently.

Well, I can understand very well if writers cling to their job like a leech. As a writer, I believe you can and should be very happy to be employed at all. Hundreds, if not thousands, of aspirants are lining up behind each writer, dying to take their place. It's not a position you give up easily unless you either have to or can afford to. If what Gaider said is true, and he was not fired, then he must have a really good backup plan apparently.

Though I agree, though once you have made a name for yourself it is easy to get other job offers. The less jobs that are out there for the job the more establish you are the more you are in demand.

Seems the gaming industry people are very loyal to the companies they work for, for the most part.

Yes, that's true. Folks like Avellone and Gaider can probably quite safely "risk" going freelance with the popularity they have achieved over the years.

But I'm not quite sure where you are getting the idea that gaming industry people are generally loyal. From everything that I have ever read it seems to be more like the exact opposite is true.
Project-based game development is a hire&fire business by its very nature. There is a lot of fluctuation and one of the reasons many game companies have relocated to places like Austin or Montreal is because of the high rate of fluctuation. There is always talent that gets set free one place and hired by another and so on.
My impression is definitely that the gaming industry might actually be among the least steady job environments on the planet.

Back
Top Bottom