Mass Effect 2 - Review @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
IGN has the first full review of Mass Effect 2 we've seen - and as expected, it's a pretty huge score. The article does note some technical hitches but otherwise claims every aspect is improved and every complaint addressed, for a score of 9.6/10:
Speaking of pleasing people, BioWare listened to every last bit of criticism leveled at Mass Effect 1. That game, particularly on Xbox 360, suffered from a few technical and presentational issues. This sequel is a much, much cleaner experience. Long elevator rides and slow-loading textures are gone, replaced with (occasionally lengthy) loading screens. Generic cut-and-paste side quests and empty planets to explore have been totally ripped out. Pretty much everything that anybody took even the slightest issue with in Mass Effect 1 has been axed or rebuilt entirely..
Thanks, EvilKoala!
More information.

Read it all. Watched videos on IGN.
I want this game. And I want it now.

Mass Effect allows the player to quickly choose an emotional response, which generally include an honorable paragon reaction and a snappy renegade remark. The result is that every little dialogue snippet is about as engaging as they come. It was innovative when Mass Effect 1 first came out

No, it wasn't. It was an oversimplifaction of the depth older titles offered in which you approached each situation depending on the situation, not "push up+right if your character is nice, push down+right if your character is rude".

The inventory and skill systems have been made more manageable, streamlined to the point that they might initially appear too thin for a role-playing game. Keep playing, however, and you'll begin to see strength and depth emerge as you further customize your squad.

So... "BioWare listened to every last bit of criticism leveled at Mass Effect 1" you say? Mass Effect 1 had the worst inventory system I have seen up to date. Seriously, I have thought long and hard to come up with a single RPG I played since the early eighties that had a less intriguing and more clunky inventory system. Is making it even less RPG'ish an improvement? Well, when thinking about it, removing it entirely might perhaps be seen as an improvement.

Is making it even less RPG'ish an improvement? Well, when thinking about it, removing it entirely might perhaps be seen as an improvement.

Actually, based on replaying some of ME recently I am inclined to agree - they were already pulling back on the RPG elements but it still got in the way of the story-based action-shooter game they were trying to deliver. So making it more story and shooter focused and further streamlining the RPG elements might actually make it an overall better game. Not a better RPG, just a better game ...

"Long elevator rides replaced with lengthy loading screens"

That's what I call an improvement!

I kind of liked the idea that loading screens could be hidden behind other things or scenes - such as taking a trip in an elevator with your crew and other stuff.

As for the game itself, Bioware really did take a lot of heat on the ME1 forums with the combat in ME1, especially the ability to use cover was being discussed a lot. I was one of the people that advocated for a change and suggested that they changed it to be more like Halo or Gears of War type cover. Apparently they did.

As for the rpg elements, remember Deus Ex, remember STALKER - a good game can be a mix of rpg and shooter elements. If and when the rpg elements seem to get in the way of telling a story, does it always have to be the rpg elements? that win?

Here's a thing that brighten up your day:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/game-salesman-mass-effect/61160

A poster on the Bioware forums posted this --- no spoilers - just pure (making of) or maybe making dun (of) or even laughing a little bit with us, the fans - from Bioware to us...

The Unreal engine could have had the whole Citadel as one level, why did we need loading screens/elevator rides?...oh wait nm.

I expect it will be great Action-Popcorn-Space-Opera-in-RPG-clothes, just like the first one. I enjoy that every now and then, to be honest, although it shouldn't and can't replace deeper and more complex RPG's.

Is that real from in the game? I stopped the video, because I want to experience that in-game. So I do see it as a spoiler. Looked very funny, though.

I don't think so, at least the dialogue is not in the game, though the salarian salesman might be...

Awesome. Looks amazing just like ME1. ME1 is sitting in the top 10 best games of all time for me.

Linear action/adventure crap, doesnt even really belong on this site, imo.

Bioware needs to realize that what they really want to do is animated movies and not games.

Linear action/adventure crap, doesnt even really belong on this site, imo.

Bioware needs to realize that what they really want to do is animated movies and not games.

Can't believe I've read this.
What games would belong to this site then? Overgrinding MMOs and mouse leftbutton quality testing Diablo clones?

What games would belong to this site then? Overgrinding MMOs and mouse leftbutton quality testing Diablo clones?

Some people simply feel the need to bash anything that doesn't conform to their idea of what an RPG should be.

If you think grinding/MMO RPG's and linear Bioware games are the only RPG's out there you've really been missing out..

"What an RPG should be, or play like." - Please, let's not.. tis pointless.

Anyway, i must say, kinda excited about Mass Effect 2, looking forward.

I pick on ME a lot becasue most of the design flaws come from basing the design on consoles first, but honestly Bioware never claimed ME trilogy was a hard core RPG.

It's rather obvious they are just expanding out into different game genders and adding the Bioware style/touch. Just like they are getting into mmogs, they wanted to tap into the halo style games and do it better, in that regard they succeeded significantly. Obviously there is still room for improvement as long as they keep using weak consoles as the core design system. They also did a much better job of pulling out a RPGish style shooter than Irrational did with Bioshock, which was a much bigger disappointment in terms of game play.

In addition it's pretty obvious Bioware can still get huge crowds to more hardcore style RPGs, with the success of DA and I bet that didn't go unnoticed to them. ;)

In the long run Bioware has to balance the huge success verses Hard Core becasue you can bet any independent thought and development they have free from the stupidity of ea, rest in how successful there games sale.

I'll add that Mass Effect proves that a significant portion of the shooter crowd has a tolerance for significant RPG elements. To me the weakest part of ME is the quality of side quests but it sounds like they have addressed that in ME2. The ME main quests are just sooooo much fun though.

Back
Top Bottom