Fallout 3 - Mothership Zeta Screens and Info

Brilliant response. :rolleyes:

You obviously have no idea what titles would satisfy me. I'll ask again - how many true sandbox style crpgs are out there right now?
You do not see how futile it would be for me to show someone who thinks that Oblivion is "nothing like" Fallout 3 a similar game? Off the top of my head the two Stalker games, Crysis, Far Cry 2, and GTA 4 are all sandbox action games that Fallout 3 has more in common with than Fallout 1/2 as far as gameplay is concerned. If you mean setting alone then of course Fallout 3 has a similar setting to the originals but thats about it.

As far as I'm concerned, Gothic 1+2 are the only games that successfully pull off the sandbox style gameplay.

Fallout 3 is pretty close, and if only it wasn't saturated in juvenile writing and dumb mechanics - I think it would have been the best sandbox game, in my opinion.

Not better than Gothic overall, but better in a sandboxy way :)

You do not see how futile it would be for me to show someone who thinks that Oblivion is "nothing like" Fallout 3 a similar game?
Off the top of my head the two Stalker games, Crysis, Far Cry 2, and GTA 4 are all sandbox action games that Fallout 3 has more in common with than Fallout 1/2 as far as gameplay is concerned. If you mean setting alone then of course Fallout 3 has a similar setting to the originals but thats about it.

Who said anything about sandbox action games? Read my post again, I clearly said "crpgs". Of all the games you mention, none of them are even close to being sandbox crpgs except for the Stalker games, and even calling those games crpgs is a bit of a stretch.

Well, I must say I consider Fallout 3 and Oblivion nearly identical in structure, apart from the setting and underlying mechanics.

A clone, well, it's most definitely a clone if something like Titan Quest is a Diablo 2 clone.

I have to say I fail to see how anyone can have a problem seeing how close the two games are in FAR more ways than they're apart.

Who said anything about sandbox action games? Read my post again, I clearly said "crpgs". Of all the games you mention, none of them are even close to being sandbox crpgs except for the Stalker games, and even calling those games crpgs is a bit of a stretch.
I never called them crpgs, I said they were similar to Fallout 3. Fallout 3 is a whole lot of sandbox action game with quests and some really dumbed down rpg mechanics, I think calling it a crpg is a bit of a stretch. I enjoyed it nonetheless, but would have much preferred a real Fallout game as I said before. This is my point, why take something rare and well done (oxymoron?) from the past and make it into something completely different that is also fairly common, a sandbox action game?

I have to say I fail to see how anyone can have a problem seeing how close the two games are in FAR more ways than they're apart.

Well it's obvious that 2 games of the same genre that use the exact same graphics engine are going to share some similarities. The term "clone" is subjective though, It's normally used when 2 games share more than just the same view and gameplay mechanics. I.E. I wouldn't call Crysis a clone of Call of Duty, etc...

falafel,

No problem. If you're really going to insist that FO3 is nothing but a sandbox "action game" then you are more than welcome to that opinion. It certainly isn't as complex as a lot of crpgs out there.

Well it's obvious that 2 games of the same genre that use the exact same graphics engine are going to share some similarities. The term "clone" is subjective though, It's normally used when 2 games share more than just the same view and gameplay mechanics. I.E. I wouldn't call Crysis a clone of Call of Duty, etc...
Forget I used the term then, for your sake I take it back, they aren't clones. They are just extremely similar, so much so that they are more similar to each other than other games, even ones from their respective franchises that they are direct sequels to. Personally I have a hard time deciding if Oblivion is more similar to Fallout 3 or Morrowind.

I'm not really talking about technical similarities, though they do factor into it. I'm primarily talking about the structure of the gameplay, as in you start in a dungeon that serves as a tutorial - and then you exit and enter a large world which is yours to explore but you have a main quest objective located in a nearby town where you'll receive a handful of smaller side-quests, should you wish. The NPC interaction is very similar, except you don't use keywords but established sentences - but since you don't speak, the result is basically exactly the same. The interface is nearly identical, and you roam a world that scales to your level (though in a less rigid fashion) - and the map is littered with "dungeons" that have the same sort of size as in Oblivion. There's a main storyline you can follow at your whim, and then there are ownable houses that function very much like in Oblivion. The linear vs non-linear balance is also nearly identical. There's a quick travel feature that works in the same way, and there's the same approach to resting and recovering. The NPCs are similarly robotic and sterile in their delivery and they act identically in combat. Well, I don't know - often it really does feel like a reskinned and modded Oblivion.

On the other hand, it's also like Gothic except for the setting and Gothic has a different more scripted approach to NPCs - and Gothic doesn't have a lot of dungeon exploration.

So, it's closer to Oblivion than anything else, really - and the only things that truly set it apart are the underlying RPG mechanics and the setting.

Clone? I'd say that's quite fair.

I'm not really talking about technical similarities, though they do factor into it. I'm primarily talking about the structure of the gameplay, as in you start in a dungeon that serves as a tutorial - and then you exit and enter a large world which is yours to explore but you have a main quest objective located in a nearby town where you'll receive a handful of smaller side-quests, should you wish. The NPC interaction is very similar, except you don't use keywords but established sentences - but since you don't speak, the result is basically exactly the same. The interface is nearly identical, and you roam a world that scales to your level (though in a less rigid fashion) - and the map is littered with "dungeons" that have the same sort of size as in Oblivion. There's a main storyline you can follow at your whim, and then there are ownable houses that function very much like in Oblivion.

That pretty much describes the sandbox crpg niche in general. Except for the engine, you could easily be talking about Morrowind as well.

For me, the setting and atmosphere also play a large part as well. Everyone's opinion is fair afaic though. :)

As far as I'm concerned, Gothic 1+2 are the only games that successfully pull off the sandbox style gameplay.

Far too little loot ;) I love when sandbox games has a lot of loot to discover, makes exploring much more worthwhile. But they're good games nontheless.

That pretty much describes the sandbox crpg niche in general. Except for the engine, you could easily be talking about Morrowind as well.

For me, the setting and atmosphere also play a large part as well. Everyone's opinion is fair afaic though. :)

Well, we're talking about a genre that's exceedingly limited.

Morrowind didn't scale enemies, nor did it have the same interface, nor did it have fully voiced NPCs, nor did it have a tutorial dungeon, nor did it have quick travel working in the same way, and so on.

But Morrowind, being the prequel to Oblivion, is obviously pretty close overall - so we can agree.

Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns
Jedi Knight II is Quake 3 with lightsabers
Bloodlines is Half Life 2 with vampires
Deus Ex is Unreal Tournament with cyborgs
Mass Effect is Unreal 3 with space opera

Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns
Jedi Knight II is Quake 3 with lightsabers
Bloodlines is Half Life 2 with vampires
Deus Ex is Unreal Tournament with cyborgs
Mass Effect is Unreal 3 with space opera

If you're trying to communicate that you've missed the point, then you've succeeded.

Morrowind most certainly did scale enemies, and I doubt it would have been feasible to have fully voiced NPCs in a game of that size in 2002. All other things considered though, I agree with what you're saying.

If you're trying to communicate that you've missed the point, then you've succeeded.

I understand the point with "Oblivion with guns" perfectly and make satire on the flaw in it's reasoning.

Morrowind most certainly did scale enemies, and I doubt it would have been feasible to have fully voiced NPCs in a game of that size in 2002. All other things considered though, I agree with what you're saying.

Morrowind scaled? Really?

I seem to recall one-shotting that end-guy or something, but I guess that could have been a gear thing.

Sorry about the confusion, then.

Back
Top Bottom