How do you define RPG?

ReturnToCinder

Watcher
Personally, I've always thought of it as just a role playing game. If your character's background/origin/traits are important to the game, then its an rpg to me. In this sense, I can even say the Halo series is an rpg to me. Leveling is clearly a convention of the genre, but I don't think I need that to call something a role playing game just by the broadness of the term.

I'm not really looking for a genre definition here, I'm just wonder: what is an RPG to you?

I'm glad you're not looking for an objective definition, as I think yet another claim by whatever deluded RPG fan would make me queasy ;)

To me, a roleplaying game can be almost anything. I don't fret about genre definitions. I tend to distinguish between "traditional" RPGs like the recent Original Sin - and then games with X amount of RPG features.

For instance, Deus Ex is what I consider borderline.

I guess, maybe, when a game has enough RPG features to represent a major part of the combined feature-set - it's an RPG.

Borderlands 2 is another borderline example. Diablo 3 is borderline.

Battlefield 4 doesn't qualify - even though you have a "class" and you essentially evolve over time. But the emphasis is on other things.

I don't really have a clear-cut definition I use - I just know an RPG when I see it.

I don't really have a clear-cut definition I use - I just know an RPG when I see it.

This is pretty much the case for me too. Because it's the experience that makes something an RPG, everything else is just an element (like dialog trees, C&C, stats, etc). I mean sure, there are some definitive examples; you can't argue about whether SSI Goldbox collection are RPGs or not, but in other cases, Torment's role playing is very different from the original Diablo's role-playing, but they are both considered to be an RPG and quite rightfully so, even though one feels like a visual novel and the other like an action game.

So as Wilde said: «To define is to limit.» and RPGs are appealing because they are not supposed to limit you. So I guess it's better to categorize RPGs by how heavy they use and rely on RPG elements instead of whether they are RPG or not.

Put me in the "it just feels right" category. Since I played real RPGs before I played a CRPG, I tend towards games that capture the same feeling, which is sadly getting less common as designers and gamers from a pen and paper background seem to be disappearing. Early on that meant copying the mechanics and leaving a lot of it to your imagination, but more of the simulation aspects have been added over time.

To me, a game is a "real" RPG if it lets you make your own character, grow them as you choose, and generally feel like you're in control of their destiny. When a game tells me who my character is or puts words in their mouth, then it starts sliding into pseudo-RPG territory, sometimes to the point that it's just a story-based action game with upgradable stats.

So it mostly (but not always) boils down to: I'm controlling my character = RPG; I'm controlling someone else's character != RPG

Short version:
A CRPG is a computer game that belongs to the CRPG genre: A class of games that allow you to role-play (control, make decisions, immerse, build) an in-game character.

Long version

PS:
A game in which you can role-play a character without leveling/character growth is normally called adventure or action adventure.

For example: Elder Scrolls Adventure: Redguard

Last edited:
The way I define a computer roleplaying game (as opposed to a pen & paper one) is simple:
Does it have character development and is it a core part of the game? If so, then yes, it's a CRPG. It has nothing to do with choices or story, because if those were defining traits, then the early Wizardrys & Ultimas would not be CRPGs.
Core part becomes a matter of definition, but I think we all can agree on the leveling system in CoD not being a core part of the game, while it is a core part of the game in something like Divine Divinity. It becomes more questionable with games such as Deus Ex & System Shock 2. But anyway, I hope I've made it somewhat clear what a CRPG is to me.

Core part becomes a matter of definition, but I think we all can agree on the leveling system in CoD not being a core part of the game

Not really. In my opinion, leveling and progression is a major part of these modern online shooters.

On its broadest terms I'd say it's when I can define what my character can do or become.

I rarely feel party-based RPGs are 'real' RPGs for me as I cannot say that that character is my character.

Fallout where you have a party around a central character does not fit into the above sentence.

Additionally, I think an RPG needs to have the ability to shape the story in some way.
Linear adventure games are fun, but do not fit into this.

Non-linear adventure games could.

It does not need all the loot or skills in the world to be that.

So for me a game like X-Com could have been an RPG if the Commander (you) had more to change about himself and I would consider it a Strategy game with TB tactical battles, much like Total War except I would call those Strategy games with RT tactical battles.

If however, the Commander played a more direct role in the game I could have called it an RPG.

Some adventure games, like The Walking Dead, I would deem as borderline RPG even though it has no loot, skills or anything like that. I still do play a role of someone and I do get some choices that affect the storyline.

Games I consider RPGs are all of the following :

Fallout, Gothic, Risen, Diablo.

A game that is currently referred to as an RPG, I do not consider is Blackguards.

I see almost no way of influencing the story, your character is barely your character and it's way too linear.

In my view, I would call it a tactical battle game. It even lacks any strategy aspect really.

@Fnord

I agree with you, story is an optional (but very common nowadays) element.
Choices in dialog and story are optional, too, but I think choices in character building (What skill do I learn next, which attribute should get better) should be a essential feature of role-playing games.
One major thing for me in role-playing is: Character skill should influence the whole game more than the player skill.

@Menigal

The Def. of CRPGAddict is 1:1 integrated in the CRPG Analyzer checklist of the Watch.

I changed from the term definition to checklist, because this is much more flexible to use and doesn't sound so absolute. CRPGs changed much over time from early Dungeon Crawlers (Wizardry) to more story driven games like the Witcher 2. It's hard to put these games in one clear cut definition. A checklist that features certain sub genres and just measures CRPG elements is much easier and better to use.

Last edited:
RPG = building the character.
Noone will say it's not.

I'm just sorry to say that I mean by that building your character's personality. Not just skills, perks, attributes and traits - those are RPG elements and aims to the cause.
So for me, no MMORPG is really RPG, and Diablo will be RPG only if when I get a lobotomy.

For me it is a game where I feel I have freedom to do what I want with my character. I can make my own character, make them grow as a character (levels, skills, traits, etc.), define how they look, have some choices on how to approach quests, and basically feel like I play out a role in a game.

Most people tend to have their own personal definition I think. Games that meet my personal definition as an RPG would be games like Bladurs Gate series, Icewind Dale, NWN games, KotR, DA games (although DAO more so than DA2), TES games (best example of an RPG style I like).

RPG = building the character.
Noone will say it's not.

I'm just sorry to say that I mean by that building your character's personality. Not just skills, perks, attributes and traits - those are RPG elements and aims to the cause.
So for me, no MMORPG is really RPG, and Diablo will be RPG only if when I get a lobotomy.

So, when's your lobotomy scheduled for ?

I need three things to make a game feel like a crpg to me: Exploration, inventory manipulation through loot acquisition, and character building. CB can be stats, skills, augmentations, etc.

I greatly prefer games where you can change the look of your character as you progress and those of companions as well. Games like Dragon Age, The Witcher, and the PB games fail big time here, but I still consider them crpgs. The fact that you rarely change your party's gear in any of these games, makes them lesser; for me.

Skyrim is my king and NWN2 is another great example of games that fit my criteria well. Risen 3 is great in hiding loot, but loot variety is abysmally low. Divinity has always done a great job too. Hopefully Eternity will add to the new list of crpgs that shine in all 3 areas.

Call me a chauvinist, but I also prefer pretty females in the games I play. Give me Viconia, Fall from Grace, Vilja, Triss instead of Bones :)

Last edited:
Three elements:
- interesting story/characters
- progression (character and/or item)
- yes, and combat

Almost all games qualify these days

@Pladio

Blackguards is barely a (very linear) tactical turn based CRPG for me.
You could call it strategy game with some role-playing elements as well.

Another recent hybrid that is very hard to classify is The Banner Saga.
It's more a linear Trek-Sim-game for me than a CRPG, but it has definitely some role playing elements.

@Pladio

Blackguards is barely a (very linear) tactical turn based CRPG for me.
You could call it strategy game with some role-playing elements as well.

Another recent hybrid that is very hard to classify is The Banner Saga.
It's more a linear Trek-Sim-game for me than a CRPG, but it has definitely some role playing elements.

Yeah, I would classify tBS in the same vein as BG.

I would not call BG a strategy game though as there is no overall strategy involved. It's tactical only in my opinion.

The Banner Saga has slightly more strategy to it though, but not enough to call a strategy game either IMO.

Strategy game only in a sense "I clear map for map" and I feel like a god-like being above the map that steers and controls the party of characters.
-> I'm not really feeling that I'm one of the characters.

Last edited:
Like it was said before. First you need to understand that Computer RPG is a different concept than RPG. RPG basically means when you play the role of another entity. When you were a kid playing cowboys and indians, or heroes vs. villains, or "playing doctor", you were playing a RPG.

But when it comes to computer games, if you were using the same rule, basically every game ever made would be considered a RPG… Adventure games, FPS, RTS, space sims, pretty much in 99.9% of the games you are playing the role of something that is not you. So, to me a CRPG represents something different, it comes from emulating Dungeons and Dragons back in the 70s. The basic element is that the character's chance of success is not related to your abilities, but the character's. It doesn't matter that in real life you are a master juggler, but if your character is clumsy, he/she won't be able to juggle 3 balls. That's why (again, to me) the more 'actiony' or twitchy a game is, the less it is a CRPG, regardless of how many times it asks you if you want to kiss the girl (blue response) or kill her (red response), and regardless of how many cutscenes the game has, because it is using *your* abilities with the mouse to determine the result of actions, instead of the character's abilities with his/her sword, gun, laser, etc.

I'm horribly narrow and likely incorrect in my view of what an RPG is.

I still hold that the setting is what primarily decides if something is an RPG or not. And that setting almost invariably has to be Ancient Mythology combined with Medieval Weaponry. It has to have some element of Magic and it has to be a world where Dragons reside/d.

So when I tried playing Fallout, I did not feel like I was playing an RPG. When I tried playing Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic I did not feel like I was playing an RPG. In both cases I felt like I was playing an Adventure Game.

However, once I feel like I'm in the right environment I'm then easier on what I will accept as being core to the RPG element. Dragon Age: Origins, for example, played pretty fast and loose with my preconceptions, but still managed to full-fill my expectations, even though I utterly loathed the entire concept of Darkspawn and the use of Late Medieval Religious Symbolism instead of Ancient Symbolism combined with Medieval Weaponry.

Likewise, King's Bounty plays fast and loose with the concept of Realistic Placement and has you fighting literally random people/creatures for no other reason than they exist and provide Exp and Loot, but I still allow that game to full-fill my expectations.

I don't expect any computer game to provide me with a bounty of dialogue trees, try making a dialogue tree yourself, see how long it is before your one grain of rice has doubled to 1,000,000,000 options, so I don't rate dialogue options or character-alignment development anywhere near the top of the list of requirements.

I also prefer to play a group rather than an individual, just because pen and paper games are designed as group endeavors. Hence I consider such games as Divine Divinity as playing fast and loose with the concept because you play just as one Unrealistically Overly Adaptable character instead of a posse of adventurers, but still allow the game to meet my expectation.

In terms of Real RPG, for me, I could not get closer than the Infinity Engine/Neverwinter games or the Might and Magic series of games. I've never played any of the M&M games, not because they don't meet my expectation, but because I prefer Isometric View to First Person View.

I don't consider Diablo and her clones to be RPGs because any game that requires you kill the same creatures in the same location over and over again, while being able to then skip entire sections completely, to be complete and utter nonsense.

So I'm quite a tough crowd for any adventurous developer. I want the same thing over and over but for it to remain interesting and freshly relevant (and bug-free…). it doesn't have to be D&D but it has to be inspired by the same factors which inspired the original D&D (I always preferred the Fighting Fantasy series over D&D, for example).

Back
Top Bottom