Fable 3 - support for Project Natal

aries100

SasqWatch
VG247 mentions that Peter Molyneux confirmed that Fable 3 will be supporting Microsoft's Project Natal - a technology that let's us play games without any controllers at all. Is this the way forward for the single player rpg ?

More information.

I have such mixed feelings about technology like this.

Take the Wii for example. I like my Wii a lot because there is such a great variety of games available for that console. Xbox 360 and PS3 (I have them all =) ) have such a limited scope of game types. I think I just bought FPS 2638 for my PS3 the other day…

Back to the Wii. Like I said, I like the game variety on that machine. But the new controller for the Wii excites me very little. It may be because I'm getting to be an old dog, but I associate game time with 'relax' time. I like to just sit on my couch and relax when I play a game. The traditional controllers of the Xbox 360 and PS3, in this regard, I enjoy very much - especially since now they're wireless.

On the other hand, there are a number of Wii games that don't require that I animate my body and work really well with the Wii Controller. Playing Monopoly with my family using the Wii Controller, for example, is a lot easier than playing Monopoly with a traditional controller on the Xbox 360 and PS3, especially for my kids.

However, in many instances, I have opted to purchase a game that is available for all 3 machines (Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii) for either the Xbox 360 or PS3 simply because I DO NOT want to play the game with the Wii Controller, when I will have to animate my body to play the game.

I sound pretty lazy here but I'm not. I have a wife, 2 kids, a full time job (50 hours per week) and I go to the gym 3 days a week and work out for 1 full hour. So I have all the excercise I need and I'm pretty fit for a 40-something.

This project natal technology looks interesting from a purely techonlogical perspective. But for me, in the end, when it's game time, I just want to plop on the couch with a controller and relax and play the game. Rarely do I want to be jumping or kicking or punching or whatever.

This is just my 'middle aged' perspective. I'm sure for younger people or people with more energy than I have this will not be a problem. Hopeuflly games will always suport a traditional controller in tandum with new controller technologies such as project natal.

In another interview he said it will be used in addition to controller play. In a certain context natal would be used. I imagine that would be mostly in mini-games.

I'm not surprised - since Microsoft is the publisher, isn't it ?

Take the Wii for example. I like my Wii a lot because there is such a great variety of games available for that console. Xbox 360 and PS3 (I have them all =) ) have such a limited scope of game types. I think I just bought FPS 2638 for my PS3 the other day…

Back to the Wii. Like I said, I like the game variety on that machine. But the new controller for the Wii excites me very little. It may be because I'm getting to be an old dog, but I associate game time with 'relax' time. I like to just sit on my couch and relax when I play a game. The traditional controllers of the Xbox 360 and PS3, in this regard, I enjoy very much - especially since now they're wireless.

I've had a Wii since the week is was released, and I've always been disappointed by it. The Wii library seems to be about 90% shovelware, and I think the best component is actually the virtual console. The ability to play Gamecube games also saves it somewhat.

Nintendo is either too lazy, or too stubborn, to program 2 different control schemes for the games. There should be a scheme for the Wiimote, and a gamepad scheme for each title, but instead they insist on forcing the Wiimote on us.

I've had a Wii since the week is was released, and I've always been disappointed by it. The Wii library seems to be about 90% shovelware, and I think the best component is actually the virtual console. The ability to play Gamecube games also saves it somewhat.

In my opinion, the Wii suffers from having far too many 'mini game' type games on the market. It's stunning that even now there are a glut of even more 'mini game' type games hitting store shelves. That really needs to slow down and even stop.

Still, it's the Wii where you'll find more innovative gameplay. That innovation may or may not be for you, on a title by title case. In contrast, Xbox 360 and PS3 offerings are much more predictable; FPS, Sports, Air Combat, and car/motorcycle racing dominate.

The Wii is also the perfect machine for kids.

Nintendo is either too lazy, or too stubborn, to program 2 different control schemes for the games. There should be a scheme for the Wiimote, and a gamepad scheme for each title, but instead they insist on forcing the Wiimote on us.

I've often wished for the same. I really don't understand why on a great number of titles you cannot use a traditional control pad. It's THE reason why I opted for purchasing a game offered on all 3 systems on either Xbox360 or PS3 - I just didn't want to play the game with the Wii controller.

I suspect there are a lot of people like me. Ultimatley, the market will dictate which direction prevails.

I've often wished for the same. I really don't understand why on a great number of titles you cannot use a traditional control pad. It's THE reason why I opted for purchasing a game offered on all 3 systems on either Xbox360 or PS3 - I just didn't want to play the game with the Wii controller.

Because Nintendo doesn't want to admit that their way isn't always the best way.

Back
Top Bottom