The meaning of your screen name

Horned Reaper, is that you?

ariu2i.jpg

Oh yes! The screech of a smacked imp, the cry of a troll on the rack, the Dark Mistresses strutting their stuff and cracking their whips.... Dungeon Keeper is a strangely erotic title for the strange.

The Horned Reaper is definitely a phallic symbol, nay, a DUAL phallic symbol!

I loved Horny! And I would have loved to have one of the Studio Oxmox Hornies.

One day my brother and I were starting a Dragon Quest game, and I wanted a good androgenous name for a red haired elf I was creating ... I was running on mental empty ... and then I recalled a name from a Zelazny book. At the time Lintra was mentioned only once (the hellmaiden who cost Benedict his arm). I thought, oh good, a nice obscure name.

Played the Lintra character through 100's of years of his life ... and a good 9 months of my life ... he had some fantastic adventures ... before he had to be retired to NPC status - as there reaches a point in an RPG characters life where they are just too powerful. He was a healer, beast master (long story there), ranger, courtier, air mage and fencer. One of his 50+ year adventures resulted in the aquisition/creation of "Cats Paw" and "Mouse Whisker" (again feeling unimaginative and fell back on Fritz Lieber for inspiration) - a rapier and main gouche (sp?) that rank amoung the most powerful artifacts in a magic item poor world. Both where created by a master swords smith that Lintra had rescued (more than once) and were just warm ups for his ultimate creation. Both are interesting in that they had the same critical failure during the creation process and look like worthless lumps of soft iron - a major plus in Lintra's eyes!!

Some of the silliness exhibited with Pinnen has it's roots in Lintra's gaming experience ... he did actually manage to use a mop head as a wig and pull it off (okay there was a hood involved, but it *did* generate a good picture, and a good laugh, and hid his bright red hair). He had a very complex and full character ... a bit of Rincewind crossed with a young Elrond (try role playing *that* someday).

So, a decade later as the proto internet was forming and coalesing I choose that as my nick (handle?) and have stuck with it ever since. Despite the appearance of the original Lintra in later books it still remains a name I can usually use ('cept in Hyjal realm of WoW. Gotta find the owner and ask them to kill the character if they aren't using it).

There. You asked for it.

Arma, my current alias, come as a short from Armageddona, which in turn is based on a character I created years ago, a Discworld vampiress in a purple sweater. On the other hand, as it is derived from Armageddon, from Byblic mythology, it kinda grew on me, as everthing is in complete chaos around me, as if the Second Coming has come ang gone :)

Rac was my arcade game initials, and as for the Lord part:

When I started playing Ultima games, I was a bit pissed off that I would always be known as the 'stranger from another land'. I mean come on Lord British, don't you recognize me? So in frustration I started up Ultima VI and decided to don the Lord title for myself.

Heck I completed five adventures already AND rescued Lord British. That should at least get me my own kingdom to run! :)

txa, I chose Arma as a username as it is a lot shorter than Lady Armageddona and I grew tired ot typing it everytime I have to actually log in manually ... Same reason most of my in-game character bear real world names like Samanta, Miranda, Polly, Kevin, and so on.

txa, I chose Arma as a username as it is a lot shorter than Lady Armageddona and I grew tired ot typing it everytime I have to actually log in manually
Oh, I got that - it is just that part of my real life work is as a statistician, so ARMA has a specific meaning that made me chuckle - I knew your meaning was different :)

It's funny, I was going to look, because when I see ARMA I think 'autoregressive moving average' ... ;)

I *knew* it looked familiar! Thnx Txa. All you had to do was capitalize the all the letters.

Just who is this ARMA you're speaking of, anyway? Neverheard of her, and should correct the matter ...

YOU'RE A GOAT???? I thought Bartacus was a goat :p...

[Pinocchio(Shrek) voice]I am not a goat, I'm a real boy[/Pinocchio(Shrek) voice]:p

And I ain't wearing ladies underware (and it's not my nose that gets longer when saying this :biggrin: )

Bartacus stands for my name combined with the famous Spartacus (gladiator movie from the ancient times for those kids around here). Sometimes I get adressed Bartus too, but that's a different story -> Comes from one perticular Simpson episode where Bart gets chased by Homer and they get those name tags like in a documentary. It was first translated in Dutch like this: "Bartus reculus" and "Homer erectus". My hotmail adres (which I rarely use today) makes it even more clear. (bartus_reculus@hotmail.com)

Another username is GothicFan or RealGothicFan. The reason of the first is obvious, the second was due to the fact the Jowood boards were at first seperated in an English and German part. When the came together, one of the German guys was faster then me to rejoin and took my/his username before me.

OK, mine is stupid but here goes:

When I was an adolescent (12-14 years I think) some friends and I had a "book club" where we would write our own "Choose Your Own Adventure" stories. You know those kids books that had branching multi-path stories and endings ...

Anyway, one of my books was called Galactic Hunter and the main character was this Boba-Fett type guy named "Robert W. Elkston". So that's where the "elkston" comes from .... :)

Last edited:
Just who is this ARMA you're speaking of, anyway? Neverheard of her, and should correct the matter ...

AutoRegressive Moving Average - you can find her lurking in most basic statistics books. At least those with eye towards finance or economics. I found her on page 356 of "Intermediate Business Statistics" *grin*

I enlist her assistance bringing order to self-correlated FAB processes ;)

Loved the PR series; I have the complete English version, but it got nowhere near the total of the original German version before they cancelled it!!

Corwin, of course, comes from Amber/Zelazny

They are at Nr. 2558 here in Germany/Austria. I stopped reading the series a couple of years ago, but I was a big fan. I met Ernst Vlcek and Wiliam Voltz in person, and I even had a short story printed there *g*.

So, my screen name: comes from the name of my real father, Georg Rendl, a famous austrian writer and painter (he died in the seventies). I just added some pseudo-roman flavor (to honour my grand father, who wrote the most popular books to teach latin in school here in Austria) :)

I only had one other name before this one.

It was Empiresfan, I first started using it with The Settlers 3 online. It's very simple, I was interested in a multitude of empires, Roman, Greek, Persian, Babylonian, Chinese, Mongol,... So Empiresfan.

Pladio came when I started playing Diablo II online. I had to choose a name for my character and I chose a Paladin at the time, 90% of the names I wanted were chosen already, except for the odd names like : fdgffde, qhql or kfhq, so I chose Pladio. :D

Kaziklu Bey means Impaler Lord in Turkish, which is what the Ottomans called Vlad III Basarab/Draculea/Tepes.

I've also used Ro'Jadre and Terahnee (both from the Myst multiverse), but nowadays I mostly use KazikluBey. Male protagonists in RPGs generally find themselves being called Ro'Jadre though.

Back
Top Bottom