Risen 2 - Review Roundup

Uhh…bring up map, click any previously visited location, quick travel. You can also return to your ship from anywhere and go to any island and then quick travel between any previous location on that island. There couldn't be more quick travel.

Right, sorry. But only for the marked "found" locations, right (the ones circled in your map)? Otherwise I just misunderstood the mechanic completely. And there's only like 2-3 "found" locations on each map. I ended up using it only once or twice, for extremely isolated spots like fisherman's cabin or Mac's tower on the pirate's isle.

So gorath: the 30-35 hours I estimated are actually pretty much without using quick travel (except those spots and occasionally zapping back to the ship). If you use the quicktravel option constantly, it's probably a few hours shorter.

I wanted to load to check for myself if it's literally "any previous visited location", but looks like my review copy locked up now until release :p Good thing I didn't talk about it if I misunderstood the mechanic, though.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some benchmarks as it had steeper hardware reqs than TW2.

Here's some benchmarks. Note that you can switch between 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 at the top of the graph.
From the beta I can tell you that the shadows are the no. 1 performance killer. If you reduce shadows from ultra to high or even lower it makes a big difference.
Also visually unfortunately because the sun light breaking through the treetops with soft shadows on the ground is simply gorgeous.
All the other settings don't really do much though so if you want to see a real boost you're going to have to touch that shadow slider.

Here's another review of Risen 2, from Game Front. The review score is 80/100, but it's actually a very favorable review. Here's the final paragraph;

"While it does have some rough patches and arguable design choices, Risen 2 has something far more important: It’s just fun. Once the game starts to get good, it provide hours of excellent entertainment. Sure, the frustrations are there in spots, but the swashbuckling fun it presents out weighs a lot of the small negatives, at least in my book. At the end of the day, you’ll be glad you played Risen 2. I know I am."​

__

Where's the Pirate Isle DLC?

I have the game installed, and can start it - but I do not see any preorder DLC installed (well, it doesn't show up in the Steam DLC menu) and when I click on it in game, it takes me to Steam, where it still doesn't seem to be installed. Huh?So, haven't they released the promised DLC yet, or am I missing something? Its late and I'm going to bed, but I'd like to know I got what I paid for ;-)

I'm installing it now! And I'll also go to bed soon, booboo I think you'll see the DLC (Treasure Island IIRC) in the game without it being specifically noted somewhere.

I thought it was going to be a universal unlock at 12:00 GMT, but apparently it's unlocking at local times.

Damn... I want to play it NOW. :ahoy:

And an update of my answer… booboo start the game then click on Extras - it lists Treasure Isle there.

JDR, what can I say, it's almost 1AM here and instead of playing Risen2 for an hour already I was trying to solve stuttering problem on G3 1.75… Silly me.
I can't play it much as I have to work tomorrow, means, I must go to sleep soon. :(
All I can say that subtitles are OFF by default… They normal? I never play games without subtitles turned on. Yea, I like to see how do you write properly some words (and in this game there is a very rich vocabulary so they say), hehe ;)

Patience man, the game won't escape anywhere.

I'm installing it now! And I'll also go to bed soon, booboo I think you'll see the DLC (Treasure Island IIRC) in the game without it being specifically noted somewhere.

Hi Joxer - yes, seems to have appeared under DLC now as well as 'purchased content' in the game...but I don't see any physical DLC file under the Steam subdir which corresponds to it? Wasn't sure if it was actually installed yet or whether I had to do something else...

Hey, just checked my inbox and it seems GMG sent me the key already :)

I think I shall wait this out a couple of weeks though (no rush and the game does sound in need of at least a modest patch)... So no spoilers without tags please ;)

This DLC bullshit is pissing me off.

I got the game on GMG, I am playing it, but I cannot activate DLC via key I received and it does not display in menu under extras - dlc (only Risen 2 itself it there).
However Patty right at the beginning told me that we are going to search for that treasure.

So now I have no idea if the DLC is already active, or if the key is invalid, or what the hell is going on.

I really don't have anything to play. Is Risen 1 necessary to play to enjoy Risen 2?

Well I just paid full price on steam as greenmangaming gave me the run around yesterday with paypal. Guess I missed some DLC as well but whatever - it never spoils the core game missing it. Think I will go voodoo and swordfighting ....

I really don't have anything to play. Is Risen 1 necessary to play to enjoy Risen 2?

Depends how anal you are about sequence.

I don't see any reason why someone couldn't jump right into Risen 2. I would play Risen first simply because it's a very good game, but it's not a necessity.

Well, my impression - and BNs review confirms that- is that R2s connection to R1 is tenuous at best. In your case thats an advantage, so I would say, go right ahead.

Back
Top Bottom