The Witcher 2 - Roundup #5

I haven't played this yet. And it looks great to me. Really, really cool. I can't wait till next year when I get a machine worthy of playing this on.

The reception this game is getting here makes me laugh, though. This looks like a 90% action game with some minor RPG elements in leveling. And I'm sure there's lots of cut scenes. And there's even QTEs!

Isn't this completely what so many here like to cry about as the death of RPGs? It's twitch based combat, you cannot be any character other than Geralt, there's freaking QTE... Yet it is getting lavished with praise here. Why? Because it has swords and is a foreign made game it's OK to like it?

I don't get it. Again, I look forward to playing it and like many different types of games.

I wouldn't call it the death of the rpg just company's suddenly changing there sequels were there nothing like the original. I knew what the Witcher 2 would be when I bought it. I wasn't lied to and fed bullshit pr to make it sound better.

As for the QTE'S I found they can be turned off in the option menu but there still used in fistfights.

Well, hell, Bioshock had different level-up abilities you could use, different powers, choices as to how to get around enemies, items to purchase, puzzles and a long story that unfolded through events and snippets of info you could find by searching around the game world.

But it didn't have swords… Heh.

And "getting lied to" somehow makes an end product less intrinsically good or enjoyable? This place can be really amusing...

I haven't played this yet. And it looks great to me. Really, really cool. I can't wait till next year when I get a machine worthy of playing this on.

The reception this game is getting here makes me laugh, though. This looks like a 90% action game with some minor RPG elements in leveling. And I'm sure there's lots of cut scenes. And there's even QTEs!

Isn't this completely what so many here like to cry about as the death of RPGs? It's twitch based combat, you cannot be any character other than Geralt, there's freaking QTE… Yet it is getting lavished with praise here. Why? Because it has swords and is a foreign made game it's OK to like it?

I don't get it. Again, I look forward to playing it and like many different types of games.

playing on hard and about 5 hours in, i'd say this is one of the most 'hardcore' rpgs i've played for a long, long time! Maybe not in the way of lots of stats and needing excel spreadsheets, but because it forces you to use all of the characters skills and to think hard about the decisions you make. Honestly I quite enjoyed DA2 but the Witcher 2 makes it look like something you'd give to nursery school children in terms of depth and hand-holding

Isn't this completely what so many here like to cry about as the death of RPGs? It's twitch based combat, you cannot be any character other than Geralt, there's freaking QTE… Yet it is getting lavished with praise here. Why? Because it has swords and is a foreign made game it's OK to like it?

Thats because Geralt are cool ;)

But serius, not every one in here hate's Bioware, I love their games, as they are one of the few that make story driven RPGs (I don't link open world rpgs). But even as a big fan of DA:O, DA2 is just not very good, it's ok in my book, but not great. But then again, it took them 8 years to make Origins, and only 1 to make DA2!

Well, hell, Bioshock had different level-up abilities you could use, different powers, choices as to how to get around enemies, items to purchase, puzzles and a long story that unfolded through events and snippets of info you could find by searching around the game world.

And "getting lied to" somehow makes an end product less intrinsically good or enjoyable? This place can be really amusing…

Just speaking for me personally, I have always been drawn to RPGs for story and characterizations first and then exploration second. In this regard the game delivers really well so I am quite happy with it. I doesn't hurt that the game looks gorgeous either.

Regardless of what category you place the game in, I am really enjoying it. If you called it an action game or strategy or whatever I wouldn't enjoy it any less. It's just a fun, immersive experience for me. There's definitely some things I think need to be worked on (word is first patch is due next week), but overall it met my expectations and then some.

Speaking of which, expectations are important. It frames your approach to a game and whether you will be let down and feel cheated or enjoy it and feel you got your money's worth. No one likes to be misled.

playing on hard and about 5 hours in, i'd say this is one of the most 'hardcore' rpgs i've played for a long, long time! Maybe not in the way of lots of stats and needing excel spreadsheets, but because it forces you to use all of the characters skills and to think hard about the decisions you make. Honestly I quite enjoyed DA2 but the Witcher 2 makes it look like something you'd give to nursery school children in terms of depth and hand-holding

This. I finally got a chance to play last night and got through the prologue (on hard). I had to learn combat by dying a fair bit (no handholding whatsoever), had to plan for the tougher battles by thinking about what potions I needed to brew and what skills to level up. I actually had to READ the manual a couple of times! This game has engaged my critical thinking skills much more than any other recent games. That and the fact it's dripping with realistic mature atmosphere make it the best RPG in recent memory as far as I'm concerned.

And "getting lied to" somehow makes an end product less intrinsically good or enjoyable? This place can be really amusing…

And you come off as a obnoxious asshole so yes you can be amusing as well. Don't you like generalizations..

counldn't agree more xanderhal thats exactly how I feel :) How many games nowadays assume that people will actually read the manual. In my opinion this is a game for gamers - and by that I mean people who are willing to forgive a steep learning curve in return for a deep and rich experience - which is exactly the feeling I remember getting from some of the old classics (Bauldurs Gate, Daggerfall, Ultimas etc…)

Obviously this is just very much my kind of game, and I'm sure some will hate it for all the reasons I love it!

Gaaaaah, I want to get this so bad, but I have so many other unfinished games that I'm playing. I'll just play it for a few hours, quit, and it will be part of the huge backlog of games. Sigh. Not easy being a gamer.

Oh, screw it. I was reading the GOG.com comments and it doesn't matter so I just bought it. Let's reward CD Project RED for their awesome handling of their customers and latest game.

Last edited:
CD Project , the witcher are a PC gamers dream come true free DLC and all.

AS for Ovenall Mr Pussy cat. Why would you even make a comment like that of what you posted earlier about crying and foreign made games ?

this game is graphically stunning, and rich in story. unfortunately, those are it's two strongest assets. Gameplay itself, IMO, is quite dreadful. The looting/inventory management/crafting/questing, ui, mouse functionality, and combat are all poor, IMO. PC gamers are sycophants, which is the only reason this game is getting unbridled adulation. Certainly not a masterpiece, although a few patches may get them closer to perfection.

For me, this is basically oblivion all over again. People laud and cheer the graphics and story, and rate the game accordingly. Oblivion had massive weaknesses, and Witcher2 is no different. Not stoked.

6/10

Well, I do think he has a point somewhere, but I've come to understand that the issue is more complex. It is the general feeling that the RPG genre is changing that worries a lot of people. That is not to say that BioWare's games are now suddenly bad RPGs per se, but they lack some of the things that made their earlier games appealing to these people.

The Witcher is a new developer and a new franchise. Nothing to live up to yet. Plus, it's the novelty of the setting and the excellent C&C that appeals to most fans, I think. That's a strong RPG trait to have in your game.

But I agree that there are people that overreact a bit lately to ever new BioWare or other newsbit. Some of them are only trolls, of course.

For me, this is basically oblivion all over again. People laud and cheer the graphics and story, and rate the game accordingly. Oblivion had massive weaknesses, and Witcher2 is no different. Not stoked.

I'll judge for myself in half an hour, but I think PC gamers sometimes whine too much. I'm planning to even use a gamepad to play this game, since it supports it, I think. Yes, blasphemy! Gamepads are for consoles! Hisss! ;) But did people laud Oblivion for its story? Don't remember that. Anyway, as long as I can be immersed in TW2, I'll be fine.

6/10

There was story in Oblivion? I thought it was just Captain Picard kicked the bucket then you hopped through a bunch of hell gates to bland dungeons that all looked the same over and over and then it was the end. Seriously, I don't think anyone was bragging about Oblivion's story.

@Gutted: So far I'll agree with you on inventory, and generally interface, those could be better, although they work OK, so not a big deal for me. But I never had much problems even with Gothics intercace, so I guess I am not overly demanding in that way. My biggest gripe is the same I have with all Bioware games, the often non-interactive environment. If there is a weapon lying around I want to be able to pick it up and use it, dammit! The QTE are dumb and unecessary, but not a big detractor. I strongly disagree on combat though - I think it is great. And this game has what Oblivion was so sorely missing - atmosphere, a sense of place.

Back
Top Bottom