RPGWatch - Red Heath Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Red Heat is a new turn-based RPG that launched on Indiegogo this week and we had the chance to interview the developer, and ask him a few questions.

Couchpotato: Welcome to RPGWatch can you give everyone a brief introduction about yourself, and your gaming studio?

Red Heath Team: Hello, everyone. First of all I’d like to say thank you to RPGWatch.com for possibility to describe the game that we are developing.

My name is Eduard Sidoruk, I am the head of Epic Star Graphics and also I am a game designer and an art director of our projects. I’ve been doing it for 5 years already, before that I spent 8 years making animation.

Our studio is situated in Minsk, Belarus. Till the middle of 2014 we were creating casual computer games (HOPA), in 4 years 4 games were created. But in comparison with “Red Heath” previous projects were created with a publisher. To the moment of making the fourth game the production felt like a copy paste conveyor. And of course our interest in developing of casual games went down.
More information.

5 characters - 2 soldiers, 3 civilists. Pretty interesting.

Nice interview. It was good to see where they get their inspiration from. I never would've heard of these guys from Belarus so thanks a lot couch!

Yeah, I'll never give to flexible funding and I'm not alone.

I think one problem is the not-so-good English. Not exactly very… reassuring. It is better in the campaign text, but the interview... really, the editor should have had a second look at that.
Another problem is the video. 30% concepts, no gameplay, 70% a single person talking (who is not exactly a great salesman). Really, the video tells you nothing. Which is weird, considering the below…

The art seems professional, and they have made some games already AND they have a screenshot as it seems. Why not show actual gameplay in the video? Even work in progress, people do not expect finished stuff in such campaigns. Would be much better than someone with a Russian accent (let's be honest, that is currently not the most popular accent) talking one minute straight.

Then, of course, it is IndieGogo which does not have the best reputation in gaming circles AND it is flexible funding, which even more people dislike in gaming communities. Of course, for non-Kickstarter-country-developers, it is pretty much the only choice if you don't want to spend months with legal stuff to open bank accounts and a company in another country.

Also, I do not see anything really remarkable or unique about the idea. That does not mean it would be bad, but it lacks clear USPs, imo.

Another problem is the video. 30% concepts, no gameplay, 70% a single person talking (who is not exactly a great salesman). Really, the video tells you nothing.

Exactly. Honestly that KS video is awfull. I would never support such game if there will be no other material. This interview is much more interesting than the video. Opening part looks very cheap, just some hero art and splashes, and then unknown developer talks. They should at least show artworks, sketches, some footage from studio… some short music excerpt if they already have one… and screenshots which looks basically good. Make impression there is some quality work done. Such video wouldnt secure them success, but it would make MUCH better impression.

Back
Top Bottom