Is Guild 2 worthy of this site?

Shrapnel

Watcher
Hey guys,

I used to prowl these boards during Gothic 1 and 2, but 3 left a bad taste in the mouth, so now Im trying the Guild 2 and the expansion. Is this a game that would merit a location here?

Hard to say because nobody played it. ;)
From what I´ve heard the expansion is a decent game and a clear improvement, so maybe you should skip the main game.

I´ve read a lot about The Guild 1. This would have been a game we could have covered - if an editior had insisted on it. The game is supposed to be great but the bug situation makes it hit or miss.

The Guild was a very nice 'sandbox' game. I really enjoyed, especially the backroom and politics, but I heard that the guild 2 was pretty much dumbed down, especially the political system.
I didn't hear about any expansion, but I stopped checking, so could anyone tell me what the expansion included?

the guild 2 was on my list, but slipped off after I read so much negative press about it. I still would pick it up and give it a spin for 9.99 if I saw it, but only then.

but I heard that the guild 2 was pretty much dumbed down, especially the political system.
Version 1.3 has made some improvements to the politics. At least I can now compete for an occupied council seat rather than having to wait for an office holder to die.

Hey thanks for the replies.
Well, I got the demo as a late-night whim and as the sun was rising I knew this game had potential.
Yes, it's a Sandbox game but it's the format that is intruiging. You build stats and mess with AI like an RPG, produce and build a dynasty like an RTS and but then you can run for office and then go after people via kidnappings, murders, throw lavish parties to influence other dynasties...it's definitely like no other game I've played.
There are 4 classes to choose from and then as you marry and have kids you can then add them to your 'party' and then their classes can help contribute to the building of the dynasty. (ie-
Patrons: Inns, Farms,
Craftsman: Mines, Woodcutter Huts, Armories, Goldmitheries, Turneries
Scholars: Hospitals, Churches, Alchemists shops
Rogues: Robbers Den, Smugglers Dens,
They are currently on 1.3 of patches and I would say they have covered alot of major issues as I have never had a CTD or performance issues since patching (my sessions can go for 4+ hrs)
Anyway the real gem of this game is the replayability: so many combos to success, all the classes make money (some slow and steady and on their own, some burst and require more 'hands-on' to watch their progress.

Anyway, I bring this up and I highly reccommend you guys try it. Very, very immersive once you get your self adjusted to the game, lots of good voiceovers and cut scenes really pull you in. Patched to 1.3, I would say this is a quality game worthy of coverage at this site. I am dying to disect this game like I used to with Gothic I and II but the JoWood boards are dead.

edit: The expansion brings the pirates into the scene and some different classes, maps and buildings:
Rogues get the Pirate's Cove bldg, Scholars get the Pest House(hospital), Patrons get the fishing hut
As well as the ability to apply for king/queen...so much to cover.

Last edited:
The Guild ? Is it what I know as "Die Gilde" here in Germany ?
Die Gilde 2 has just got a fresh add-on.

ya thats it.
this game is crazy, no matter how hard you try no two games are the same
you dont know wtf the AI is going to do. The other day I won 2nd highest position in my town and had everyone support, so at the end of town hall I apply for mayor position, and the mayor sent his boys to kindnap me (this is like 2 hrs after the meeting), and held me for 8 yrs lol! Another time they grabbed my son and murdered him outside his church. Ya the AI is crazed, I like to see how these peoplle are acting in the towns at night. You think it's all business as usual then all of a sudden two chicks will break out into a fight, for no reason, crazy

Back
Top Bottom