Dead State - DoubleBear Review Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I thought this release would be a big dissappointment. But people need to get a grip and realize kickstarter funding is a gamble. Pick your bets carefully, and still expect nothing.

This thing has gotten way out of proportion. Maybe DoubleBears acting wasn't tpå notch, but the amount of negativity is ridiculous. I'm with Bubbles on this one.

And I'm actually enjoying the game quite a bit at not came across any major bugs after 30 hours of playing. Compared to titles like Skyrim that gets praised although it has loads of bugs this is just silly. Do they need to keep patching the game? Sure, but it's perfectly playable as it is.

I checked the reviews on Steam 10 days after release and the majority of them were positive. Most of the negative reviews were of people will less than 5 hours of playtime, some of them with only half an hour. I checked again after all this debacle, and the difference is appalling. It is like if every person who read these articles decided to upvote every negative review in Steam, no matter how badly written or unhelpful it is. People can be very vindictive.

I checked the reviews on Steam 10 days after release and the majority of them were positive. Most of the negative reviews were of people will less than 5 hours of playtime, some of them with only half an hour. I checked again after all this debacle, and the difference is appalling. It is like if every person who read these articles decided to upvote every negative review in Steam, no matter how badly written or unhelpful it is. People can be very vindictive.

Appaling would be the right word yes. Idiots.

Posting negative review about the game is one thing, trolling for the sake of getting attention is another. I'm on the Double Bear's side on this one.

Neither Developer or said reviewer come out of this with much credit.

They (people) say any sort of PR is good PR, I wouldn't be so sure after this mud slinging fest. A breakdown in communication is somewhat of an understatement.

This is a perfect example of the central flaw in the Interwebs: The power that anonymity gives small people. They can hide behind their keyboard, safe in their home, shielded behind a cutesy user id, spewing their bile.

I've seen it on music sites, political sites, game sites, you name it. I'm going on 67 and have worked on computers and various forms of the internet since 1980. This crap is nothing new. There will always be gutless, immature, loud-mouthed punks making trouble for others. The things is, if they were face-to-face with their targets, they wouldn't have the guts to open their mouth. But, as long as they can hide and snipe from cover, they'll continue to make trouble.

As famous TV Tool Dr. Phil says, "That's the price of poker." Unfortunately.

Not sure why this guy is getting any publicity at all...seems thats what he wanted...oh and a personal apology....seems like a peach.

There will always be gutless, immature, loud-mouthed punks making trouble for others. The things is, if they were face-to-face with their targets, they wouldn't have the guts to open their mouth. But, as long as they can hide and snipe from cover, they'll continue to make trouble.

Unfortunately hating works IRL too. Some ppl are very keen on spreading slanders and lies or half-lies about their hated target, but only if this target or targets good friends are not around. They are good in this tactics as much as cowards can be. They know how to make friends with the right pals and dumbasses who will believe it and support them. So it can be easier to identify hater on inet forum than IRL.

Reviewer is a bit of a dick, but at least he had actually played the game for a decent amount of time. Proper response was to roll one's eyes and then just ignore him though, killing the review was always asking for trouble via Streisand Effect- and when in a PR hole continuing to dig is really foolish.

I've found Dead State to be fine in terms of bugs though, I've only had two crashes and a couple of incidents where enemies couldn't be attacked (only one where it mattered and he could still attack me) which is better than most releases. The game systems... there's a good basic framework there as a basis of improvement and the ideas are good. The implementation is a bit lacking though. It's the sort of game where I'm not precisely pleased with it precisely because it does have a lot of potential which isn't fully realised.

Reviewer is a bit of a dick, but at least he had actually played the game for a decent amount of time. .

Not necessarily. You can get into the game and pause it, do something else and the Steam counter will still assume you are playing.
Sometimes I do that, I just alt-tab leaving the game running while I watch a movie, or read some news, etc.
The only way to know if someone actually played the game is to check the achievements.

Not necessarily. You can get into the game and pause it, do something else and the Steam counter will still assume you are playing.
Sometimes I do that, I just alt-tab leaving the game running while I watch a movie, or read some news, etc.
The only way to know if someone actually played the game is to check the achievements.
Not even that. Counter and achievements don't work reliably in offline mode. I have finished RPGs twice within 2 hours while doing only 10% of the achievements. ;)

I'm always on the consumers side, and will not be buying this game for sure. I'm glad there are gamers out there who will tell it like it is regarding their problems with the game. Sycophantic fan boy gamers who praise games to the moon while overlooking or not mentioning games flaws make me sick. It's also one reason we get so much crap in terms of quality of the games from big developers such as what Bioware puts out these days.

At this point, I'm just waiting for the routine fan-boy response, "Bugs? I played through the whole game and didn't encounter a single bug, I don't know what all these people are talking about" :roll: There are always a few of these responses when new bug-ridden games are released.

Anyway this type of stuff makes me happy I don't deal with the public at work anymore.

Amen to that. I don't either. Praise be.

I'm not going to wade through all of the Internet drama, either. I just don't care enough.

Outside of a bomb threat, though, it's pretty much always a mistake to remove criticism, even if it is a huge manifesto of douchebaggery. Whoops, Doublebear. Better to just ignore it. It really is just a grain of sand in the vast desert of the Web. Now, you've got an anthill threatening to become a molehill.

Perhaps I'm in the minority yet again, but I think the game is great. A bit clunky, but still quite good. I sure hope they keep working on it or put out a sequel, because the potential is there for it to be truly great. It did seem a bit rough and rushed out the door, but the bugs I've seen have been minor. Right now, I'm thinking my personal GotY votes will be Original Sin and Dead State. Those are the two I've played the most.

Amen to that. I don't either. Praise be.

I'm not going to wade through all of the Internet drama, either. I just don't care enough.
I used to work customer returns for a few years, and came really close to harming a few customers. Sorry to say this but some people are just plain stupid.:cool:
Perhaps I'm in the minority yet again, but I think the game is great. A bit clunky, but still quite good. I sure hope they keep working on it or put out a sequel, because the potential is there for it to be truly great. It did seem a bit rough and rushed out the door, but the bugs I've seen have been minor.
I quite agree as I said above it has potential, but I hated when my car disappeared, or I couldn't do repairs on anything, and a couple of broken quests.

Still they do fix most of the problems, but I recommend buying the game a few months from now. It will have more content, and will hopefully be fixed by then.

So to summarize the game should of never been released as it was. I understand they probably needed more funds, but this will ruin your reputation.

Now with this fiasco it will affect future buyers, or backers of their next project.:disappointed:

Last edited:
By the way, the link in the articles no longer point to the review.
Same stuff as the previous case. One review, that happened to be negative, went extremelly popular compared to positive reviews ( that look like people circling around to support each other, you scratch my back, I scratch yours, 50 thumbs up and all, same people etc) so it had to be silenced.
Just as the review by Jinxx got banned, this review must somehow be banned.

The poster, though, who wished to apply the same standards to AAA titles published by big, bad corporations as to crowdfunded titles, did not seem to understand that big bad corporations are bad, not because they released titles in advanced betas (big, bad corps usually did not release titles in such states as the DS releases), but because they are big corps.
Big corps: bad, crowdfunded studios: good. Simple as that.

Ban, counter ban, Steam is part of the dance.

Reviewer is a bit of a dick, but at least he had actually played the game for a decent amount of time.
Decent amount of time? There is nothing of the sort.
There is a magical time number, measured in seconds. Reviewers posting with less than that number, they have not played enough to give the product a fair chance.
They are over the magical number? Their reviews no have credibility, as they played it so long, it is not possible to believe they could have played that long if the game was not that bad.

It's also one reason we get so much crap in terms of quality of the games from big developers such as what Bioware puts out these days.
Bioware are published by EA. EA pulling out that stunt? They would be destroyed for that. Would be very hard to find EA defenders. In the current case, all crowfunding supporters are rushing in to support dogmatically a studio that went through crowdfunding. The quality is abyssal? Who cares, what only matters is that they went crowdfunded.
At this point, I'm just waiting for the routine fan-boy response, "Bugs? I played through the whole game and didn't encounter a single bug, I don't know what all these people are talking about" :roll: There are always a few of these responses when new bug-ridden games are released.
Bugs are not the big problem: the big problem is the lack of gameplay, gameplay is empty. They might start to fill it in.
This product could turn bug free, this would not change that bit. Only way is to start to build up on the gameplay. At the moment, the product is to be sumed up by a lot of content to browse, that is all.

Last edited:

Well, maybe they actually didn't encounter that many bugs? Doesn't make them fanboys.

Pibbur who hasn't played the game and can't comment on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom