The Elder Scrolls - Include Detailed Cutscenes?

Aubrielle

Noveliste
A GamingBolt op-ed is asking for cutscenes in the next Elder Scrolls installment. Do you think this is a good idea?

If and when Elders Scrolls 6 or Skyrim 2 is eventually brought to the market, there are a couple of things that will make the game quite a bit better. Sometimes, these additions make the game better in big ways and other times, the additions we are looking to have in the game are smaller but will actually make the game that much better in the long run. Sometimes there are questions about making sure there are better weapons in the title.

We also think there needs to be some more detailed cutscenes. By doing this, the game will be able to add in more story and make sure we’re actually feeling as though we have a role to play in the game world. These cut scenes can be used to introduce plot points that we might actually miss when we’re also looking to find the next monster to fight.

Cut scenes can actually be found as kind of annoying by some gamers, but the fact of the matter is that there are plenty of others who understand how important they can be. Getting better cut scene into the game will make the story worth watching and playing.
More information.

More information.

Who cares for cutscenes, what would they even be about? I'd ask for actual plot and interesting characters, but that isn't happening anyway. Skyrim was great for a while, until it got boring, b/c it's an "amuse yourself on your own" type of game, and running around without plot or characters wasn't very amusing to me. I don't mind sandboxes, I mind sandboxes that are nothing more than a sandbox.

Honestly, no. Why should we need cut scenes? It's a fucking game, not a movie. Cut Scenes break the flow of the game, reduce the player to a viewer. Why should anyone want that? Especially in an engine like Bethesda's, you can pretty much show anything important without cutting to a video. Better plots, more interesting quests, a more dynamic world, hell yeah, but cut scenes? Who needs that? And what for? If you want to watch a video, buy a BluRay.

Not one for silly meme speak but this one sure deserves it: LOLWUT?

AHhahahaahhahahahahhahahahah really ..... TES isn't dumbed down enough ??

Cutscenes can be great, such as the ones found in Blizzard games, but they can also be incredibly frustrating, especially when they take control of the main character and turn him/her into a moron (for example Shepard vs Kai Leng). Something tells me that's where Bethesda would end up, which really would ruin the immersion, so I hope they avoid it until they can get it right.

Bethesda first need to learn to write good story and characters then worry about cutscenes!

Last edited:
AHhahahaahhahahahahhahahahah really ….. TES isn't dumbed down enough ??

Not sure why you equal cut scenes with dumbing down. I think that you see cut scenes only as QTEs and not as a tool for showing atmosphere.

I am not sure whether or not cutscenes would be working in TES in terms of atmosphere - Enderal actually tried a cutscene system . In the end they had to abandon it as it was too much work for such a small team.

BUT I think cutscenes would be bad for TES because of another reason: Bethesda nowadays already leaves dozens of bugs in their games by release - such a system is always a magnet for those (yeah AC:Unity, I look at you :D)

Honestly, no. Why should we need cut scenes?
For atmosphere.

If it's done well why shouldn't techniques like cutscenes be included in video games?

If it's done well why shouldn't techniques like cutscenes be included in video games?
Because one might argue that RPGs (or at least ones like Skyrim) are supposed to be a particular type of immersive experience. To my mind, cut-scenes are anything but immersive... or even that atmospheric, for that matter. They just feel too consoley to me, and make me feel like I'm just being herded through someone else's story. There is nothing wrong with cut-scenes when used in the right kind of game, such as to inject a narrative into am otherwise disconnected series of events (a game like XCOM might be a good example of this), but games like Skyrim don't need this, and if they did, it's because they've failed in some other aspect.

Because one might argue that RPGs (or at least ones like Skyrim) are supposed to be a particular type of immersive experience. To my mind, cut-scenes are anything but immersive… or even that atmospheric, for that matter. They just feel too consoley to me, and make me feel like I'm just being herded through someone else's story. There is nothing wrong with cut-scenes when used in the right kind of game, such as to inject a narrative into am otherwise disconnected series of events (a game like XCOM might be a good example of this), but games like Skyrim don't need this, and if they did, it's because they've failed in some other aspect.

That's absolutely right.

It fails in being a good match for the TES ethos and aesthetic: "live another life, in another world". While scriped story moments happen, the designers are reasonably consistent about using it to introduce players to the game and only rarely propel the story forward. In all cases the player has at least some control over the character. In the introduction this is limited only as long as it takes to layer core gameplay mechanics into the system. There is no full movie autonomy in these games and they don't need it.

There are games for which cutscenes can mesh well even if I remain distrustful of them, but TES games are not among them.

Cutscenes are great if they have a detailed storyline/plot. But this is Beth we are talking about so .....

Cutscenes are great if they have a detailed storyline/plot.

Yes, I'm all for cutscenes if they serve a purpose (namely to transport story) and are not overly abundant.

But I can definitely do without the whole...

*press 'W'* ... *cutscene* ... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene* ... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene* ... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene*... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene*... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene*... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene*... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene*... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene*... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene*... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene*... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene*... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene*... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene*... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene*... *press 'W'* ... *cutscene*

Let's not do it like Star Wars The Old Republic Knights of the Fallen Empire or like some parts of the 2013 Tomb Raider. That is simply too much.

I wouldn't mind dynamic cutscenes in the game. Imagine coming to Bleak Falls Barrow for the first time and the camera taking a dynamic view of the barrow. Would add a bit more drama to the game, which would make things seem more epic.

But that said, I like the in-game "cutscenes" in the game engine itself. Those are by far my favorite way to handle those. Keeps you immersed in the game and roleplaying your own character.

Yes, cutscenes please! And also port the 4-choice dialogue system from FO4 while you're at it. And don't bother with a story.

Ok, you already got that last part covered! But please continue to turn your franchises into globs of boredom that even curiosity can't compel me to spend money on any longer.

Back
Top Bottom