Witcher 2 The Witcher 2 only support 16:9 resolutions

The Witcher 2
The first Witcher the engine used was Aurora, the one used by NWN series.
This is a brand new engine created by them. I'm not at all convinced, that they will implement the other aspect rations soon. It's such a basic feature, that there must be a reason behind that for not having implemented already. The only game that had such limited resolutions, was AC2, but that was a ported console game.

I think it's important to keep making the distinction because people are going to get the impression they cannot use their monitor's native resolution, which is not true.

In case of 16:10 they state clear in the faq that:
It will also support the 16:9 aspect ratio and be playable in 16:10 (non-native) as well as 4:3 (letterbox)
The letterbox is only in 4:3.

The first Witcher the engine used was Aurora, the one used by NWN series.
This is a brand new engine created by them. I'm not at all convinced, that they will implement the other aspect rations soon. It's such a basic feature, that there must be a reason behind that for not having implemented already. The only game that had such limited resolutions, was AC2, but that was a ported console game.

It has nothing to do with the engine or consoles. As said games like Mirror's Edge used this method on UE3, which certainly supported other aspect ratios. Games like FEAR 2 as well. The AC engine from Ubisoft supported all aspect ratios in Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands.

It's all about testing and design, not the engine.

In case of 16:10 they state clear in the faq that:

That doesn't mean what you think it means.

It has nothing to do with the engine or consoles. As said games like Mirror's Edge used this method on UE3, which certainly supported other aspect ratios. Games like FEAR 2 as well. The AC engine from Ubisoft supported all aspect ratios in Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands.

Amazing. I honestly hadn't noticed that Mirrors Edge supports only 16:9 resolutions (resulting in small black bars when choosing 1920*1200). I honestly had to start the game (thanks steam :) ) just to check if you are right. I really, really hadn't noticed when I played the game last year.

How can I get my Might and Magic 3 to play right on my 16:10 aspect monitor? I get huge black bars and the system tray is monstrous in size :)

How can I get my Might and Magic 3 to play right on my 16:10 aspect monitor? I get huge black bars and the system tray is monstrous in size :)

Are you using an Nvidia card?

Go to the Nvidia control panel and, under Display settings, go to the "Adjust desktop size and position" page. You can adjust the way it scales lower resolution programs there. I'm guessing you currently have it set on "Do not scale". Try setting it to "Use Nvidia scaling".

If you're using an ATI card then buy an Nvidia card. ;)

Ah. Ok then.
So in your opinion, is this easy to implement?

The FEAR 2 guys patched in support for all aspect ratios pretty quickly, so I would bet it's not that hard. Likely it's just a testing thing, opening up the image means you have to test the entire game for bugs that causes.

Amazing. I honestly hadn't noticed that Mirrors Edge supports only 16:9 resolutions (resulting in small black bars when choosing 1920*1200). I honestly had to start the game (thanks steam :) ) just to check if you are right. I really, really hadn't noticed when I played the game last year.

Indeed, I didn't notice with Mirror's Edge until I read it on a forum later. It's really not a big deal for 16:10 monitors, it's the 4:3 folks who are going to get shafted.

Does everyone relize you can still play the game. We're acting like it won't run at all and that's not the case. I'll take a game from a dev that's making hardcore rpg pc exclusives at 4:3 over most of what's out there at any aspect ratio.

Didn't they already say they would fix it anyway.
People will find anything to complain about. All the positive stuff in the fac and here we are complaining.

Last edited:
Haven't you noticed that talking about positive stuff labels you as a fanboy automatically. No matter how valid the point is, you must be a fanboy for bringing it up ;)

So from one fanboy to another I gotta say that 16:9 is fine by me. I just want them to deliver on everything they else they talked about. The multiple ways you can complete quests and how that will affect the game later on being ranked first on that list.

I must say they are saying all the right thing. If they deliver on those things, which I think they will. Then color me a fanboy.:)

A fanboy with a valid point though.

I'm also a bit amazed that people who profess that gameplay is most important are crying about the POSSIBILITY of skinny black bars on their screens. Even though CDP says they will fix it, possibly even before launch. It's rather pathetic. Sorry. Don't you have more important things to worry about?

I do agree that it smells a lot that if they didn't support 16:10 nor 4:3 it probably means that they won't until a long time and this will cost them a lot of money to implement it.

If it's really black border at top and bottom I'll like with it, but sometimes it's image distortion, the monitor/graphic card supporting 16:9 and the game doesn't manage well 16:9 with distortion vs 16:9 in 16:10 and with borders.

I played many games with distortion, at first it's really unpleasant but after some time you get used to it.

That said I feel it won't be so clean of bugs at release so I'm ready to delay it quite a lot, if even my current computer and graphic card could run it well.

I do agree that it smells a lot that if they didn't support 16:10 nor 4:3 it probably means that they won't until a long time and this will cost them a lot of money to implement it.

If it's really black border at top and bottom I'll like with it, but sometimes it's image distortion, the monitor/graphic card supporting 16:9 and the game doesn't manage well 16:9 with distortion vs 16:9 in 16:10 and with borders.

I played many games with distortion, at first it's really unpleasant but after some time you get used to it.

That said I feel it won't be so clean of bugs at release so I'm ready to delay it quite a lot, if even my current computer and graphic card could run it well.

The only reason it would distort the image is if you run it in a 16:9 resolution and then stretch it to fit your screen. I really advise against that, even on a 16:10 monitor. The game will have 4:3 and 16:10 resolutions selectable, it just adds black bars into the image to maintain a 16:9 viewing area.

I just canceled my preorder because of this and regged here to ask that IF HD -resolutions are "most haves", why everyother wants (at least in US..) iPhone/iPad though they have traditional resolution ?

When my good "old" 19" L1952TQ wears out, I just hope that they have begun to make 4:3 or 5:4 displays again. Maybe kids born after 90´s can see wider and alas wants widescreens :)?

I just canceled my preorder because of this and regged here to ask that IF HD -resolutions are "most haves", why everyother wants (at least in US..) iPhone/iPad though they have traditional resolution ?

When my good "old" 19" L1952TQ wears out, I just hope that they have begun to make 4:3 or 5:4 displays again. Maybe kids born after 90´s can see wider and alas wants widescreens :)?

Welcome to the Watch drama queen ;)

It's kind of ironic sitting here reading about how my 4:3 monitor is supposedly outdated when approximately 1/4 of my 1280x1024 screen is not being used due to pretty wide vertical bars on each side of the readable area in the weblayout. I can only imagine how much wasted space those of you with a 16:9 widescreen monitor is staring at right now.

I have preordered TW2 and I'm not going to cancel at this point. If this issue is indeed as bad as it appears, I'll put it on the shelf for a while and wait for a patch (I preordered it along with Dungeon Siege 3, Brink and Infamous 2, so it is not like I don't have anything else to play). If no patch arrives, well then I won't be getting any more CDProjekt games and I'll be sure to let them know why.

It's kind of ironic sitting here reading about how my 4:3 monitor is supposedly outdated when approximately 1/4 of my 1280x1024 screen is not being used due to pretty wide vertical bars on each side of the readable area in the weblayout. I can only imagine how much wasted space those of you with a 16:9 widescreen monitor is staring at right now.

I fail to see what webpages have to do with gaming. I have a widescreen monitor for gaming, not for browsing forums.

So when is it ok to drop full support for 4:3. Cable, sat. and movies has been black bared for yrs. and that seems fine why can't computers move on. You can still play the game.

I would bet that most of you have gotten 5-10 yrs out of your 4:3 display. It's not unreasonable to think it's time to upgrade.

This is why we still don't have game thats require even half of the power of a high end pc. (most games).

It's not like you have to spend thousands or even hundreds of dollars every yr to keep playing the latest games. A video card every 2 yrs. and a mobo processor ( maybe memory)every 4 and a monitor every 5-10 will keep you gaming at high settings.

At some point devs need to devote more resource to new technologies instead of wasting them on supporting dying ones. The question is, when is that point? Sounds to me like a number of you have decided it's not until you upgrade. Well, sorry I don't want to wait.

So when is it ok to drop full support for 4:3. Cable, sat. and movies has been black bared for yrs. and that seems fine why can't computers move
Not true. A game is not a movie. Well nowadays it seems that the games are more interactive movies than being just what they should be.

You can still play the game.
I don't like that huge bars, they distract me. I can't play the game.

I would bet that most of you have gotten 5-10 yrs out of your 4:3 display. It's not unreasonable to think it's time to upgrade.
It's unreasonable. It doesn't matter the years of usage. Only if it's working well or not. My car has 10 years, and it's working well. My apartment has 30 years. One of my joystick has 10 years. My marriage had 17 years and it broke. Now that's the time to look for a new one.
The monitor has a function, and in that regard it's performing well. It seems not with Witcher 2. If that's the case bye bye Witcher 2, for me.

This is why we still don't have game thats require even half of the power of a high end pc. (most games).
Simply not true. Blame the consoles and the cross platform games.

It's not like you have to spend thousands or even hundreds of dollars every yr to keep playing the latest games. A video card every 2 yrs. and a mobo processor ( maybe memory)every 4 and a monitor every 5-10 will keep you gaming at high settings.
Not true. The monitor shouldn't be placed side by side in that equation.

At some point devs need to devote more resource to new technologies instead of wasting them on supporting dying ones. The question is, when is that point? Sounds to me like a number of you have decided it's not until you upgrade. Well, sorry I don't want to wait.
That sounds…. well I won't say it.

It's unreasonable. It doesn't matter the years of usage. Only if it's working well or not. My car has 10 years, and it's working well. My apartment has 30 years. One of my joystick has 10 years. My marriage had 17 years and it broke. Now that's the time to look for a new one.
The monitor has a function, and in that regard it's performing well. It seems not with Witcher 2. If that's the case bye bye Witcher 2, for me.

By that reasoning The Witcher 2 is also broken because it doesn't run on a Voodoo2.

Back
Top Bottom