Age of Decadence - Beginner's Guide

I think I saw mention of Iron Tower Studios preparing to work on a turn-based dungeon crawl somewhere, but not sure if this is definite. Dungeon crawlers usually don't interest me due to the extreme linearity / exclusive focus on combat, the usually bland / repetitive blobber style combat, and because I fraggin' hate mazes.... So I'd hope they'd at least put in some sorts of choice & consequence and narrative even if it's not nearly as extensive as what is reportedly in AoD.

Anyway, I'm very excited for AoD and have completely avoided the beta or even watching any gameplay or reading much about it other than the basics. But everything I have heard makes me think I'll love it.

Hopefully, Grimoire won't be out

It's the only Kickstarter that has lived up to my expectations...

I'm glad I jumped the AoD bandwagon very late as I'm not jaded and very much pumped for its release

I don't think they'll make another such a game even if it sells like hot-cakes.

If it does sell well, I believe they are making some turn-based RPG or such, but not AoD 2.
You are saying that like AoD is not a turn based RPG lol.

I assume she just meant that they won't try to make a turn-based CRPG with the level of branching paths and multiple solutions to every quest that is in AoD… Considering it took them over 10 years to finish the game.

But one can hope that the game sells so well the developers can afford to work on their next game full time & hire additional help if needed. I would think that a potential sequel or expansion wouldn't take nearly as long since they have their game engine done... It would be criminal if all their hard work didn't pay off / allow them to make whatever games they want.

Of course, that's how life and video game industry work; copy / paste shooters like Call of Duty make tens of millions and CRPG masterpieces will always be a niche market that the gaming masses will dismiss as boring games for nerds with bad graphics that require you to ::gasp:: read.

It's the only Kickstarter that has lived up to my expectations…

I'm glad I jumped the AoD bandwagon very late as I'm not jaded and very much pumped for its release

Eh? So AoD is literally the only Kickstarter that hasn't failed to live up to your expectations? You might want to lower them to realistic heights then. ;)

I believe Vince, at least, said he quit his day job to work on games full time.

I broke down and jumped the gun a little early. Played for a few hours last night. Rerolled like 3 times, which isn't a terrible thing to do in this game, to figure out a combat style that works for me. The combat is nice. I have my idea of what I want to do, and that works out some of the time. But the combat isn't easy, so I often have to find another way. And the options are there, and they're meaningful. It's nice.

I broke down and jumped the gun a little early. Played for a few hours last night. Rerolled like 3 times, which isn't a terrible thing to do in this game, to figure out a combat style that works for me. The combat is nice. I have my idea of what I want to do, and that works out some of the time. But the combat isn't easy, so I often have to find another way. And the options are there, and they're meaningful. It's nice.

Don't forget to use nets and bolas as often as you can or need. You can buy these at one of the merchants. Also buy some poison and apply it to your weapon. There is an alchemist in the merchant plaza. Same with the sharpening stone at the blacksmith.

Oh, if only I trusted in my will to work full-time on my game - I'd quit my job in a second ;)

I'm really looking forward to playing this, but the timing is bad, so it's going to have to wait a little longer.

I want to play the Hearts of Stone DLC for TW3, and then there's Wastland 2 DC.. and then we have Fallout 4 in less than a month.

What's the estimated completion time for AoD?

I'm really looking forward to playing this, but the timing is bad, so it's going to have to wait a little longer.

I want to play the Hearts of Stone DLC for TW3, and then there's Wastland 2 DC.. and then we have Fallout 4 in less than a month.

What's the estimated completion time for AoD?

Why not wait with TW3 until the second expansion is out? Aren't you going to be a bit sick of the game if you don't?

Nah, I'm not replaying the entire thing. Just picking up from a late-game save. :)

Still, you could reap the benefits of a more stable build - and it would be all fresh ;)

I'm planning to give it another try myself at that point.

I'm not worried about stability, TW3 has been a very stable build for a long time. In fact, I'd say it might have been the least buggiest open-world RPG I've ever played.

But we're going off topic...

You seem to do a lot of traveling already. Count yourself luckier than most. :)

I do, but the problem with human beings in general and me too is that I now want more...

I travel a lot for work though, which isn't as fun or glamorous as some people may think. Luckily my job also means I can travel in the area of where I am on weekends or take long weekends :D

So, yes I do know I am quite privileged, but I do work very long hours for that privilege. This is something most people here are not willing to sacrifice, as far as I understand.

I'm not worried about stability, TW3 has been a very stable build for a long time. In fact, I'd say it might have been the least buggiest open-world RPG I've ever played.

But we're going off topic…

You're assuming the expansion content doesn't have new issues ;)

But, yeah, we're off topic.

Back to it.....

Don't forget to use nets and bolas as often as you can or need. You can buy these at one of the merchants. Also buy some poison and apply it to your weapon. There is an alchemist in the merchant plaza. Same with the sharpening stone at the blacksmith.

That's good advice I'll try to remember. I'm going to have to try harder to visit merchants. I prefer nets over bolas. At least in the beginning, they're rather expensive to use a lot.
Not sure how spoilery this is, but I'll use the tag to be safe. My thought was I was just doing some contracts at the assassin's guild to make some net money….and boom! All hell broke lose on the last job, and I'm ushered off to the second city. Guess I can find a merchant now, though.

Been using plenty of poison, though, and the bleed style in daggers is a godsend.

Back
Top Bottom