Planescape Torment - DVD Re-Release?

Most interesting.

Will forward this immediately. ;)

All the Infinity Engine games look set for an XP/Vista re-release coming shortly. Fallout 1 & 2 had some XP releases last year also that I missed. Anyone have any info on these releases? Technical or physical?

I wonder if it's a UK-only rerelease, or if the US will also get them? I need to pick up Planescape, one of the few I missed back in the day. I also need to replace my BG2, as it's completely and totally worn out. And my IWD2... and IWD1... and BG1 isn't looking too hot either.

I ordered Planescape Torment from an UK-based online sale site today. It cost me nearly 10 pounds. I wonder if they solve the Vista graphics issue. Well, we shall see. By the way, the site is thehut.com and the prices are reasonable.

I ordered during the GoGamer sale last week ... still don't have it (slow post this time of year) and won't likely see it until the new year at this point ... looking forward to it!

I also need to replace my BG2, as it's completely and totally worn out. And my IWD2… and IWD1… and BG1 isn't looking too hot either.

How do you wear out a CD?

Not like a record (remember those?) or tape where there is physical contact and wear on the media.

<In Dr. Evil Voice> It's a frickin laser!

My discs are all in mint condition, no matter how old.

How do you wear out a CD?

Not like a record (remember those?) or tape where there is physical contact and wear on the media.

<In Dr. Evil Voice> It's a frickin laser!

My discs are all in mint condition, no matter how old.

Do you have children?

I used to believe CD's would last forever until our older son discovered the CD rack at ~2 years old and ... well ...

Plus some PC CD drives are worse than others - I mean, look at all of the stuff with X360's that tear up disks ...

Simple. Play them so much that they get hot, and stop reading correctly. Test in another, working CD drive. Toss to the side when it doesn't work there either.

It's why now I always no CD hack my games. I've already rebought all 4 BG games (the 4 in 1 set, which I paid less for new than I would have buying both games + expansion packs used). Gotta get IWD as well, though that's because I lost the discs, not because they really wore out.

Do you have children?

I used to believe CD's would last forever until our older son discovered the CD rack at ~2 years old and … well …

Plus some PC CD drives are worse than others - I mean, look at all of the stuff with X360's that tear up disks …

Actually yes. A 6 year old and a 15 year old.

I was just shouting at my 6 year old a few minutes ago… the DVD collection in her room makes me want to cry… CDs on the floor, out of the proper cases, scratches and smudges everywhere.

But MY stuff is off limits. And it's always been in a rack that could be accessible but I've always taught them at a very young age: DO NOT TOUCH.

Same with my games. They're in my bedroom in a plastic bin my kids never go into. But even if I leave them out on the desk they just never touch anything.

But if I ever leave anything in one of their rooms? *cry*. I found my DVD of THe Princess Bride in the little ones room because I let her watch it on her portable player recently… looked like she was sliding on it across the floor, lol. Fortunately, it wasn't the latest Special Edition which I still have sealed in MY rack. :D

I HAVE had the occasional scratch due to a CD getting stuck in my PC drive but nothing major.

Fortunately, I had a Dad that told me (and my siblings) to always clean the cds and the dvds and to save the cases and the lids for board games. And to always keep cds and dvds in their proper place i.e. in their proper cases. My BG2 collection has only very few scratches on it.

And yes, some PC CD/DVD drives are worse than others, especially when it comes to older games meet newer drivers...

Well, I considered myself taking care of my discs, but for some reason, my PC games collection tends to tear up quickly. Granted, I've never spent a tenth of the time on any console game as I have BG1, with the sole exception of GT4 (which about killed my PS2. It started locking up after a few hours). Then again, only BG1 & 2, and a couple others have worn out like that. Most of them still work.

My CD's are generally in good shape, though I have some really old ones. Ones that I loaned out in the past. :p They need refinishing. Granted, they'd probably have held up better if I'd not put them in a big binder case instead of leaving them in their stock cases. I leave all my new CDs in their cases.

Back
Top Bottom