Which RPG is for me

tomsutton

Traveler
Hi there this is my first post, i am a great fan of rpg wether thats on xbox 360 or pc.
So im here to ask you what rpg i should get. My computer can pretty much play anything, and my xbox so im not bothered which platform it is on.
Heres some background of games iv played
Fable 1 + 2 + 3
Risen
Fall out 3
Mass effect.

Only requirement are the graphics are decent. Along the lines of risen quality.

Cheers

Tom

Well, Dragon Age comes out in a couple of weeks, so that should be high on your list.

Welcome to RPGWatch! :)

Given that selection of games there isn't much. Most games are disqualified by their outdated graphics.

Oblivion with a lot of mods is certainly an option.
The upcoming Venetica should be a game you like. People say it's similar to Fable. I was surprised how much fun it was - and how hard and direct the action.
Dragon Age on PC is definitely the go to game this Christmas.
Maybe the upcoming Diviniy 2 is an idea. Or the much hyped Borderland (Shooter-RPG mix).

These are the risk-free options. Everything else is sort of a gamble because your selection was more on the mainstream end of RPGs. The more hardcore stuff might be too slow for you. If you want to go that route, your options are Drakensang and NWN 2.

If you want something old everybody likes try KotOR.

Which kind of games do you generally like? I could recommend a long list of games - but all based on my preferences. No sense recommending The Witcher if you absolutely must have a sandbox, and no sense recommending Baldur's Gate if you hate top-down view tactical combat :)

EDIT: Scratch that. I'll recommend Planescape: Torment no matter what your preferences are, since preferences don't matter when it comes to true perfection ;). It doesn't meet your graphics requirement, but trust me... You won't regret playing that game.

I really don't know about more recent RPGs with good graphics. My recommendation, though, would be to start working backward in time game-wise so that you can end up enjoying the best games form the days of yore as well.

Along those lines, I'd recommend a sequence of games like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Morrowind, and Wizardry 8, and then a sequence like Baldur's Gate II, Arcanum, and Fallout, and if you make it that far, start getting into the golden oldies starting with Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, Ultima Underworld and Ultima VII, which you can find as abandonware, and World of Xeen, which is part of the Might and Magic VI pack at gog.com.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
Baldur's Gate II
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
Fallout
Gothic
Gothic 2
Gothic 2 Night of Raven
Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate
Planescape Torment
Temple of Elemental Evil
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon
The Witcher
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

Play these, I'd start from The Witcher or Bloodlines in your place.

Since Bloodlines has been mentioned (with someone, somewhere reinstalling it as we speak), Deus Ex deserves a mention too. The first one, not the second one. ;)

Cheers for all suggestion i must have wrote down fable 3 my mistake, i quite like the look at dragon age, something similiar to fable or risen would be the best choice for me.

There isn't much in these directions.

Only Venetica for your Fable fix.
Risen is basically a (slightly weaker) Gothic or Gothic 2 remake. Decide for yourself if you can tolerate the outdated graphics and are willing to spend some time to learn the interface.

I went with borderlands for xbox 360
And the witcher for pc

Cheers for your help

something similiar to fable or risen would be the best choice for me.
Play Gothic and later Gothic 2 with expansion.

Why not Drakensang ?

Dood System Shock 2 or Jagged Alliance 2 with 1.13 mod. I know these
games are old but sheer immersion covered wiyh perfection. They are gamimg goodness in its true form.

something similiar to fable or risen would be the best choice for me.
Up to date graphics narrows the field down considerably. Two Worlds perhaps? It's a 2007 game so you should find the graphics up to date. It's neither as deep nor as polished as Risen, but it is passable ARPG fun.

If you enjoyed the sword fighting aspects of Risen and Fable then you may also enjoy Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. But it isn't an RPG; it's a linear action adventure game with a few stats tacked on.

I'd recommend a sequence of games like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Morrowind, and Wizardry 8, and then a sequence like Baldur's Gate II, Arcanum, and Fallout

Excellent suggestions, I agree (with the sequence as well)!

I couldn't quite get into Masquerade due to the "actiony" combat system but dialogue and voice acting are excellent and if you liked Mass Effect and Fallout 3 (which I didn't like either) you'd probably like Masquerade.

Also suggest KOTOR and KOTOR II - they weren't great RPGs by any stretch but were entertaining. And they were not overly complex or deep (as far as game systems) which I guess is good for an RPG noobie (I'd play on the HARD difficulty setting though, as combat was a cakewalk in both games).

Just do me a favor: if you play Oblivion, think of it as an open world action/adventure along the lines of Grand Theft Auto but don't even think or refer to it as an RPG :D Seriously though, it was mildly enjoyable as an action/adventure game but extremely dissappointing as an actual hardcore RPG. As a noob, you probably don't know the difference but this is why I'm telling you this :)

(ok, let the Oblivion apologists/fans start defending this travesty of an RPG… NOW!) :D

(ok, let the Oblivion apologists/fans start defending this travesty of an RPG… NOW!) :D

Very provocative, very provocative ... :D ;)

While I'm as hardcore as you can get, I loves Oblivions, even without a single mod. I describe myself as hardcore because I was the guy who was playing the crpg from 1994 that even the programmer had lost. If a crpg is that obscure, and I own it, I must be hardcore :D I'm so hardcore, I still own a 5 1/4 floppy just so I can reinstall Amberstar if I'm in the mood.

Of course, I'm also half nuts so ya gotta take it with a grain of salt.

Hehe, I'm just busting a few chops (you know who you are!) :)

Back
Top Bottom