Worlds of Magic - Released on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Wastelands Interactive has officially taken Worlds of Magic of Steam Early Access, and is now offer the full game for purchase at a price of $39.99. Here are the details.

Worlds of Magic is almost three years of hard work of the Wastelands Interactive team. We are extremely happy that we were able to create a game that preserves the spirit of Master of Magic, a true classic. I would like to sincerely thank all our backers who helped make this game come true and all our community members who were deeply engaged during the making of Worlds of Magic. Your initiative and invaluable feedback reassures me that the game was created exactly to the players' expectations. During the last half a year, with the game in Early Access, we earned the trust of the Steam community, taking active part in discussions and providing weekly updates. In the future, we are still planning not only to provide the same level of support, constantly working on making the game better, but also develop new content. Worlds of Magic is a game that will surely cast a Charm spell on every fan of 4X.
Don't forget to read our interview if your still undecided.

More information.

Runs a lot better for me:)

Just peeked on Steam reviews and saw this:
Typos, formatting errors, and placeholders abound in the text in this game.

I'm subtitles addict. Every game with voices that doesn't have them turned on by default receives instaminus from me. And if devs didn't polish subs, in fact probably transcripts as there is no transtlation, it is a huge turnoff for me.

I'm aware that on consoles subtitles are irrelevant - as you're playing on 87345683565 miles away screen so you can't see them anyway without a telescope.
Well, on PC, sorry, make them proper or go make candy crush clone where subtitles can't be a part of the game.

On the fence. Would love to hear your impressions

I haven't really played enough over all the releases to give much of an impression. It does look a lot better with the move to unity 5. It has a ton of potential though. Some are complaining about bugs though, a few brought on by the move to unity 5.

The devs seem to be heavily invested in the future of the project and it has a lot of potential. I will have to play more before I give a more detailed impression other then to say I feel it has come a long way.

Any reason to check it out when we have so many good "4x Fantasy" games like:
Endless Legend, Age of Wonders III, Warlock: Master of the Arcane+The Exiled,
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes and Eador: Masters of the Broken World ?

Um, no. Do you spend days working on lines like this?

Why would I want a game that tries to play like Master of Magic to fail?

I simply looked at the Steam forum for this game and there are tons of complaints of bugs, crashes and other problems, and people saying it is incomplete.

It's simply putting two and two together: these guys can't work forever without the sales oomph of an official release. If money wouldn't have been a problem they would've polished it a whole lot more.

Why would I want a game that tries to play like Master of Magic to fail?

I simply looked at the Steam forum for this game and there are tons of complaints of bugs, crashes and other problems, and people saying it is incomplete.

It's simply putting two and two together: these guys can't work forever without the sales oomph of an official release. If money wouldn't have been a problem they would've polished it a whole lot more.

I was looking at the forums today and I don't see tons...I see a few(a lot of people obviously not playing the updated version with auto updates turn off etc wondering why it crashes in broken english) Most are pretty minor and they have been pumping out fixes as well. Your commentary based on looking at a forums is uninformed.

Well I just started playing the game, and I'm enjoying myself. I was surprised actually as it does remind me of Masters of Magic, but I wont deny it has a few problems.^^

Well I just started playing the game, and I'm enjoying myself. I was surprised actually as it does remind me of Masters of Magic, but I wont deny it has a few problems.^^

I agree with the few problems....and they are jumping on them fast. Just took exception to the usual over reaction of some.

I am going to wait few months for fixes and a Steam sale :)

I am going to wait few months for fixes and a Steam sale :)

This.

I will install Age of Wonders 3 on my new laptop that I receive on Monday while I wait for them to fix it.

I would be a little more hesitant to use the Steam forums as your sole barometer. I can't speak to this game, but, in general, the Steam forums can be a bit like a gaggle of hysterical preteen girls. I have plqyed other games that I found acceptable, but, to read the Steam forums, you'd think we'd all fallen victim to one of history's greatest pyramid schemes and should immediately unite in a class-action lawsuit.

I find the Steam user reviews to be a better gauge of the game than the forums. Steam gives a summary of how the reviews are and I find that games which are very good usually get overall reviews that are either "overwhelmingly positive" or "very positive". When games are very poorly received then the overall review tends to be "Mixed", which I take as a sign to stay away. "Mixed" is the worst possible review I've ever seen (and is even highlighted in red), presumably Steam isn't going to say "Bad" because they don't want to discourage a sale.

Sadly, World of Magic's reviews are currently "Mixed". A quick look at them shows many more negative reviews than positive ones. For me that's enough to stay away for awhile and to see if the reviews start to become more positive after some more fixes, or even after people have had a chance to explore the game more.

I find the Steam user reviews to be a better gauge of the game than the forums. Steam gives a summary of how the reviews are and I find that games which are very good usually get overall reviews that are either "overwhelmingly positive" or "very positive". When games are very poorly received then the overall review tends to be "Mixed", which I take as a sign to stay away. "Mixed" is the worst possible review I've ever seen (and is even highlighted in red), presumably Steam isn't going to say "Bad" because they don't want to discourage a sale.

Sadly, World of Magic's reviews are currently "Mixed". A quick look at them shows many more negative reviews than positive ones. For me that's enough to stay away for awhile and to see if the reviews start to become more positive after some more fixes, or even after people have had a chance to explore the game more.

Yeah, it's suspicious to me how you can check almost any game on Steam and there will always be many user reviews with a few hundred hours of playtime and nothing but praise, and it seems the negativity is toned down. It's kind of like modern game journalists who follow the 6 to 9 scale.

I've read a few Steam reviews and all the 'thumb downs' I see mainly say the game was not ready, not that the game is bad, but that it lacks polish (typos, placeholder text, etc). Since I don't care about that, as long as the underlying game is solid, seems to me the game may actually be good with a few weeks of patching.

I've read a few Steam reviews and all the 'thumb downs' I see mainly say the game was not ready, not that the game is bad, but that it lacks polish (typos, placeholder text, etc). Since I don't care about that, as long as the underlying game is solid, seems to me the game may actually be good with a few weeks of patching.

note some of the reviews were made before a hotfix patched the crash on startup....so it's not as bad as it sounds. They literally patched like crazy the first day and were present throughout the forums. Not nearly as bad as some would make them out to be.

Oh there are lower then Mixed. Check out Legends of Dawn.

Back
Top Bottom