Thief - Lockdown Mission Playthrough

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Looks pretty good to me, albeit I think it looks and plays a lot like last years Dishonered. Still, I look forward to this one.

Yeah, it does look and feel like Dishonored but, since I liked Dishonored, I will probably give this one a go.

Art style is infinitely superior to Dishonored - even if the setting is similar.

But gameplay is king - and I remain sceptical about this one.

If you're referring to the function that highlights everything that's interactive, I don't like that either, but at least it appears to be something that only activates if you choose to use it.

Lockpicking looks very simplistic. I think I'd actually prefer if he just did it automatically.

Judging from the video, this game really holds your hand compared to the previous Thief games.

Nah, I'm talking about the eyeliner around his eyes :)

A bit too feminine and Goth for my tastes.

What the hell is with the music. Sounds like insanely fast paces distorted techno at one point while the player is simply making their way home without anything happening.

Oh wow that voice, I'll come right out and say I haven't had high hopes in the voice acting department but Garrett's new voice actor would do better as a mime, or at least it would be doing a favour to anyone who isn't deaf. I'm sorry but both that voice acting and the voice itself are terrible. I could get over a change in voice actors, but not to that.

I strongly dislike that they have Garrett constantly talking to himself.

Maybe he went loco. ;)
Whatever chatty there is, all I want is subtitles turned on by default.
Recently a few games tried to cut costs by not making subtitles on some sequences if not all. My wallet was happy, I won't buy those ever.

--
* subtitles is probably a wrong term, the word should be a transcription as we're not looking a form of translation, but whatever.

Hmm I'll probably need to watch this again in higher quality when I get back home (complimentary hotel wifi sucks!) but I think I'll let you guys put this one through its paces first. Definitely wait and see and then some methinks...

Lockpicking looks very simplistic. I think I'd actually prefer if he just did it automatically.

Judging from the video, this game really holds your hand compared to the previous Thief games.

Yup, devs keep calling that "widening of the appeal".

This is the opening mission…which also serves as a tutorial, hence the 'handholding'.
The lock-picking mechanism isn't any simpler or complex than the first two titles in the Thief series. It just serves the purpose. Also, almost all the options that are perceived to make the gamer easier can be deactivated.
The game looks GORGEOUS tho! I am glad to have upgraded my Gfx card to GTX 770 2GB..so I am hoping to run this game at its max settings! :)

Last edited:
Very cool stuff. I really like the gritty atmosphere. I still probably won't play it, since it's not really an RPG, but it would be cool to watch a few episodes of a Let's Play of it.

Back
Top Bottom