Witcher 3 - Open Letter From Marcin Iwinski

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Co-founder of CD Project Red, Marcin Iwiński, has written an open letter in which he thanks the players of The Witcher 3.

Dear Gamers,

May 19th was a crucial date for all of us here at CD PROJEKT RED -- we released The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, our open world role-playing game that we had been hard at work on for over 3 years. Since day one, you have given us tons of positive feedback and support -- the sheer volume of emails we’ve gotten since launch simply congratulating us for our efforts is both epic and heartwarming, and I wish every developer comes to have such a fantastic community. In terms of media reception, we’re really humbled by the scores the game has received all around the world. With an average of 90+ on every platform, Wild Hunt is our dream coming true.

I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank the four million gamers worldwide who bought The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in the first two weeks from launch. Four million RPG fans spending their hard-earned money on our game is a sign that we did something right, and you can be sure that we’ll harness all that positive energy and make the upcoming expansions worthy of the grand adventure that you’re telling us Wild Hunt already is! Until then, keep on enjoying Wild Hunt, do not forget to grab your weekly set of free DLCs, and stay tuned for constant updates and enhancement to the game we are continuously working on.

Dandelion once said to Geralt that the world is changing, the sun is setting, and vodka’s running out -- go, play, and have fun!

All the best,
Marcin Iwiński
Co-founder, CD PROJEKT RED​
More information.

Four million sold! That ought to finance the Ciri sequel, at least. No way they can let this setting die, surely?

Cyberpunk 2077 first please.

Their stock skyrocketed today as well.

Now if only they had decent DRM. would have been 7 quadrastillion sold copies.

Seriously though, I hope they create a new IP after their cyberpunk game with a non-premade main character.

Now if they can only fix the sound and other tehcnical issues on the pc. While the game appears to run fine for some people many folks are having very basic technical issues.

So glad for their commercial success. Most of my single-player RPG fixes come from Euro developers so this bodes well for future games with great gameplay.

Death to DRM, long live CDPR!

Marcin Iwiński also stated that CDPR recouped money spent on the development of TW3 on the day the game was launched :)

Well I'm happy for CDPR that Witcher III has sold four million copies. Now focus Cyber Punk 2077, and here's hoping they do release some details before 2017.

Well I'm happy for CDPR that Witcher III has sold four million copies. Now focus Cyber Punk 2077, and here's hoping they do release some details before 2017.

Not sure there will be with the ps5 coming out 2018 or 19

I think this is a good number for a couple weeks. Maybe not matching Skyrim or Dragon Age, but I bet it's close if not. I'm glad too. I love Skyrim, but I'm glad that other devs are tackling these huge games. We now have Divinity, Dragon Age, TES, and Witcher. Witcher and Divinity are very good about adding stuff to their games too.

Even if CDPR finishes the series, I assume we'll get another crpg from the studio since they're making a good profit. I don't like W3 as much as Skyrim, but its a no brainer as far as buying whatever crpg they make next.

With the bigger indie games like Pillars and Bard's Tale IV, it's a very good time for our niche.

So how do these numbers compare to other AAA game releases?

If this were the total sales for a AAA game, it would be considered a decent success. Between 5 - 10 million copies sold would be a big success, and above that you have the sales titans like GTA and Mario, which go above 20 million.

It's a good performance, but Skyrim sold nearly 4 million units in its first two days, for perspective.

CDPR sold about 2 million copies of TW2 within a year from the release. Combined sales of TW1 and TW2 until March 2014 were 7 million.

It will never reach Skyrim or GTA sales since it's a much newer series and it's not a game for everyone i suppose but 4 million in 2 weeks is a huge number for CDPR.

Might even end up selling 10 million or more during the rest of the year and in holidays with sales and such.

Back
Top Bottom