Might&Magic X Legacy was crippled by devs on 32 bit OS

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor
I was one of those gamers who bought the game at Early Access. I played and finish Early Access at september and waited eagerly for the full version. As you know game was released two days ago, I finally found time to install it this night.

But a surprise was waiting for me. Textures are so blurry and max level is medium. I searched the internet and learned that devs brought some limitations for 32 bit OS. Textures limited to medium and there is no ambient, monster sounds or party barking. I was able to enable sounds with a simple ini trick but unable to change texture setting.

The weird thing is I could play the Early Access with high textures and full sounds without any problem. This is really ridiculous and I'm pissed off right now.

I went to Ubisoft forums to complain. But due to some problem I couldn't log in. So I came to my good old site to complain.

I feel myself cheated now. It's like you're testing a high end computer and buy it, and when you open the box you find a lower end one with the same case. I hope devs are reading our complains and do sonething about it.

Just wait till I'm done with Blackguards. If they really "dumbed down" textures and sound on PC, I can only say unbloodybelievable and will burn Ubi forum! :D

To log onto Ubi forum use e-mail and password you used on Uplay.

Odd decision but there have been 64 bit windows options for almost 9 years now.

I'd like to see 32 bit done away with altogether, its time.

Anyway I have high and very high or ultra settings on 64 bit windows.

This was talked about in a different thread. Here is the official response.
Important note: Might & Magic X on a 32-bit OS

Might & Magic X – Legacy officially supports the following Operating Systems: Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. We cannot guarantee the game will work on previous versions of Windows.

Furthermore, we recommend the use of 64-bit Operating Systems.

32-bit versions of Operating Systems cannot use more than 4GB of memory, adding up RAM and VRAM (here is a great article on Gamasutra explaining why 64-bit OS's are required for gaming!). Thus, while the game definitely works on a 32-bit OS (using the right settings), we had to implement software limits to make sure the game will fit this memory limit.

While running the game on a 32-bit OS, here are the limits:

• Texture Quality is limited to MEDIUM
  • Party Barks, Monster and ambient sounds are not available
  • Voice over is not available

Therefore we definitely recommend running the game on a 64-bit Operating System to fully enjoy the experience provided by Might & Magic X - Legacy.

What amazes me is how people now expect their old systems to run new games. I remember when everytime a new Ultima game was released you almost needed to buy a new PC just to run it. Gaming drove the PC market. I've had a 64 bit OS since Vista, so it's about time people upgraded and stopped whinging. EA was not the full game, so it could fit more easily into 4GB memory while the full game won't!! Simple maths says limit aspects or people can't play it. Which would you prefer? It's called progress son; get over it!!

Well, hardware/software upgrades aside, I feel this is more about a bait and switch on the part of the devs... Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was no warning about 32bit systems being crippled to such a degree prior to the official launch.

There's no bait and switch here. Early Access != full version, and just because it works one way during development - doesn't mean it'll work that way for release.

Requirements are bound to change from development to release, that's something that just can't come as a surprise.

If you don't want to support games in development, don't do it.

But don't bitch about things happening that's a natural part of development. That makes you a silly person.

Well, hardware/software upgrades aside, I feel this is more about a bait and switch on the part of the devs… Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was no warning about 32bit systems being crippled to such a degree prior to the official launch.

Even today we see on steam under recommende settings:

OS: Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 (all 32/64 bits versions)

Admittedly it also says 6GB memory, but citing 32 bit Windows, which can't use all that memory, as a recommended setting sounds a bit misleading to me.

I agree that you can't expect every new game to run well, or even run at all on 32 bit OS, but recommended settings should reflect that.

pibbur who has a 225 000 000 bit bus between his hemispheres, supported by his brain os.

I don't make that a problem if that was the case with Early Access. But after playing it with high quality textures without any problem, it seems a silly move to me to remove it in the end. Maybe there could have been put a warning message that the game can be unstable at high textures on 32 bit systems. And we play it with our own risk.

What amazes me is how people now expect their old systems to run new games. I remember when everytime a new Ultima game was released you almost needed to buy a new PC just to run it. Gaming drove the PC market. I've had a 64 bit OS since Vista, so it's about time people upgraded and stopped whinging. EA was not the full game, so it could fit more easily into 4GB memory while the full game won't!! Simple maths says limit aspects or people can't play it. Which would you prefer? It's called progress son; get over it!!

Yes but in the 90s computer technology was developing at much higher speeds than today. In every six months general speed of computers increased 50%. And you could see the developments with your eyes. So upgrading had a meaning at that times. But things have changed at the beginning of 2010s. New consoles which focus on content rathet than horse power is a proof of that.

There is no need for any math Corwin. I do use 64bit OS, but the problem of today's software is that lazy programmers don't care about code optimization! Everyone wants to be a programmer.

And in this case, they should stick it with bolded letters on Uplay/Steam - YOU CAN'T GET FANCY GFX ON 32BIT OS.

I still use 32-bit OS as I have many program that only work on 32-bit systems for my work.

Upgrading is not the issue here, the issue is that UBi are advertising that this game works on 32 bit systems and in reality they are not supporting that. They are just lying.

Moreover, I was also expecting the more mature posters here have the better sense than using the 'mine is bigger than yours' mentality and PC superiority when it comes to PCs and graphics.

There is no need for any math Corwin. I do use 64bit OS, but the problem of today's software is that lazy programmers don't care about code optimization! Everyone wants to be a programmer.

And in this case, they should stick it with bolded letters on Uplay/Steam - YOU CAN'T GET FANCY GFX ON 32BIT OS.

Yes, you're right on that. But I don't think this is enough. They must expand it with this:

YOU COULD GET FANCY GRAPHICS TWO WEEKS AGO WITH EARLY ACCESS, BUT SUDDENLY WE DECIDED YOU DON'T DESERVE THAT YOU OLD MINDED 32 BIT OS (REALLY 32 BIT RIGHT? IN THIS AGE? YOU'RE SERIOUS?) USERS. WE WOULD TRY TO EXPLAIN THE REASONS BEHIND THIS DECISION BUT YOU ARE TOO DUMB TO UNDERSTAND YOU DROOLING IMBECILES. WE DON'T WANT YOU TO SET THE TEXTURES TO HIGH, BLOW UP YOUR PC AND THEN SUE US. SO WE PREVENT IT COMPLETELY OTHER THAN PUTTING A WARNING MESSAGE IN THE GAME.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Limbic Entertainment for bringing back this old classic. And I hope more will be come. I bought Early Access to support their effort, and I'm ready to support more projects like this. After all M&M is one of my favourite series of all time. But imagine my disappointment after installing the full game so eagerly.

I hope they fix that uncompability with an official or unofficial patch. I'll wait. After all Blackguards and Banner Saga are waiting for me to be played.

I still use 32-bit OS as I have many program that only work on 32-bit systems for my work.

Upgrading is not the issue here, the issue is that UBi are advertising that this game works on 32 bit systems and in reality they are not supporting that. They are just lying.

Moreover, I was also expecting the more mature posters here have the better sense than using the 'mine is bigger than yours' mentality and PC superiority when it comes to PCs and graphics.

Finally someone who understands me. Thanks pal. ;)

I don't think that's needed. The game runs fine in 32 bit OS, but just like I don't expect my 3d card to play 120FPS in the latest games, but do expect it to run at reduced graphic levels, so you should expect that a 32 bit OS can also have the same effect.

Now, on the other hand, is "Early Access" legally taken as 'beta'? It used to be that early access just meant that you could play the game before it was officially out, but you were playing the game. I guess "Steam Early Access" is a different thing with its own definition of "Early access".

Now, on the other hand, is "Early Access" legally taken as 'beta'? It used to be that early access just meant that you could play the game before it was officially out, but you were playing the game. I guess "Steam Early Access" is a different thing with its own definition of "Early access".

It is customary that the early access or beta versions are at a much 'less optimised' state compared to the final product and thus their system requirements are normally higher.

For the completed and 'supposed to be optimised' product to require higher specifications is simply bad and is a strong indication of an unoptimised game, as Joxer indicated.

Playing it on win7 x64 and set everything to high/very high where possible (not ultra though). Dunno why is that a problem for 32bit OS, no matter how nice graphics here is, it's still far from Cryengine so don't tell me they just had to cap details on 32bit OS.

It shouldn't be surprising that games are going to be starting to require 64-bit OSes - they've been pushing up against the 2GB RAM limit (for 32-bit processes) for years now. Even Witcher 1, from over 6 years ago, danced a pretty fine line to not exceed 2GB - it would often crash because it did.

If your system isn't capable of running a 64-bit OS, then it wouldn't have met the minimum listed requirements for this game to begin with. So it should only be a matter of upgrading your OS, not your hardware.

There are a great number of far more graphically-intensive games that can be run under a 32bit architecture with no problems whatsoever. The lack of proper support for 32bit in this game's case has little to do with a need for bigger and badder hardware and everything to do with scheduling and capital constraints. Which would have been fine if the developers were up front about it from the get-go…

As it stands, it's a lousy way to fuck your early customers over.

Also, bear in mind that up to a third of PCs still run XP and, of those, a great portion are also 32bit users. These are the realities of the marketplace and taking an arrogant, "lolz, you should have upgraded by now!" attitude doesn't help the people misled by the developers.

So, what's the lesson here? Apparently, it's don't buy Early Access as system requirements can actually INCREASE… even if your game has all the graphical complexity of an updated PacMan.

There are a great number of far more graphically-intensive games that can be run under a 32bit architecture with no problems whatsoever. The lack of proper support for 32bit in this game's case has little to do with a need for bigger and badder hardware and everything to do with scheduling and capital constraints. Which would have been fine if the developers were up front about it from the get-go…

As it stands, it's a lousy way to fuck your early customers over.

Also, bear in mind that up to a third of PCs still run XP and, of those, a great portion are also 32bit users. These are the realities of the marketplace and taking an arrogant, "lolz, you should have upgraded by now!" attitude doesn't help the people misled by the developers.

So, what's the lesson here? Apparently, it's don't buy Early Access as system requirements can actually INCREASE… even if your game has all the graphical complexity of an updated PacMan.

Your link doesn't show how many xps users are 32 bit but let's say it's all of them. That doesn't tell the proper story as they aren't talking about gamers the target customer of this game.

If you look at steam stats you'll see less that 8% of steam gamers are using a 32 bit windows version.

So your reality of the marketplace is based on skewed numbers to support your argument but not represent the target audience.

Back
Top Bottom