The Legend Of Heroes - Review Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I rounded up three new reviews for The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.http://www.chalgyr.com/2014/08/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-sky-pc.html

Chalgyr's Game Room - 8/10

In all seriousness, though, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is a wonderful title. While it has a number of fairly big bugs, the gameplay and story as rock solid and bring out the best in a genre that needs more attention. I may be the target audience that Nihon Falcom had in mind, with their use of well-known voice actors to fans of anime / certain types of video games, and the emphasis on grinding, captivating combat, a wonderful crafting (cooking) system, and an engaging story, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, with a little work will be one of the better JRPG releases of 2014. The problem is the bugs are just too prevalent in the game and the workarounds (not fixes) are simply not acceptable in this day in age. For all of its faults, though, I am deeply attached to The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.
Capsule Computers - 8/10

Trails in the Sky snuck up on me, albeit very slowly. It’s a traditional JRPG that does nothing new, but executes the tropes and mechanics of the genre to a very high standard. The game has been translated cleanly and works like a charm. The story and characters benefit from the slow burn in the end, and the lovely soundtrack and solid battle system make for an engrossing experience. With two more parts to go it is certainly a great investment for gamers looking to dive into another universe for many, many hours. Bring on part two.
Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is one of the finest JRPGs in the history of the genre, and that still holds true for its Steam debut. Even as it revels in nostalgia for its forebears, it forges ahead on its own path. Trails offers a thrilling adventure through one of the most complete and enthralling worlds ever rendered, and lets you take it alongside a cast of charming, affable heroes. Anyone looking for their RPG fix, be they fans of western or eastern design, will fall in love within seconds.
More information.

The tutorial is frustrating - I can't seem to get through it. It's disagreeing with me. But I'm excited to play more...the game is definitely a splash of color and nostalgia and my guess is that it'll stand easily next to all the JRPG greats.

Er… What exactly is frustrating in tutorial? You just need to go sewers and (insta)kill some mobs.

I wonder if this is the Divine Divinity of JRPGs? I had no interest in playing the so-called Diablo clone back in the day but word of mouth and critic reviews were just to positive. So I took the plunge and Div Div is one of my all time favorite games.

Now I haven't played a JRPG in years, I just have no interest. And with my huge Steam and GOG inventory, well, you know.

However, the great word of mouth has me interested and the updated Nintentdo graphics (IMO) have me greatly interested. I am moving the game to my to-play queue.

It's completely different from Diablo. If it wasn't, I'd never put a huge number on it in recently finished thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061267153&postcount=1623

Buy, play. Now.
It's plain awsome and shows how a fun and great jRPG can be made without grinding, unavoidable endless mobrespawns and saving only on checkpoints.

It's completely different from Diablo. If it wasn't, I'd never put a huge number on it in recently finished thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061267153&postcount=1623

Buy, play. Now.
It's plain awsome and shows how a fun and great jRPG can be made without grinding, unavoidable endless mobrespawns and saving only on checkpoints.

No, I wasn't clear. I was wondering if Legend of Heroes was like Divine Divinity, only in how it was initially received. Both games game out with little fanfare but were initially almost universally loved by both the public and the critics.

BTW, adding that bit about no check point saves is now making me ponder a pick between starting Risen 3 or the JRPG. I'm working on an HOG right now so I will be picking soon.

Ah that, sorry, I was under perhaps too much of beer last night when replying. ;)
Yea… Went to a sort of meeting with some friends (and enemies!) from Travian. :blush:

You're probably right. No fuss about the game, yet it's a pure gem.
No saving on checkpoints here ment this: there are autosaves and you can also save the game anywhere like in all proper modern RPGs.
You still can't make a quicksave on a (F5) key, but the game is practically 10 years old, but that isn't really an issue since you don't have to get frustrated in searching where the hell is the next checkpoint (like in Grandia 2) nor you can get doublefrustrated because you had a power surge and now you have to replay some whole part of the game again (Alpha Protocol).

I just wanted to say that this game is so much better than highly praised crap jRPGs.
R3 or TitS? Buy both!

I broke down very late last night and took the plunge with Legend. (over Risen 3). I only put in about 20 min so far but I like it. I forgot how much JRPG are into stories and I have yet to fight a single enemy. All set up so far. And with nothing but written dialogue I can sorta speed read through the lines.

It was very cool that when I was starting to get sleepy, I was able to save where and when I wanted to :)

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how to bring up the in-game menu so I can save or load a game and quit the game?

Back
Top Bottom