Robin Williams RIP

Are you sure you're not making (potentially false) assumptions on their behalf?

Obviously I don't know them personally, but its pretty common for the family members of a suicide casualty to have emotional trauma from it for years to come. Its not uncommon for family members to have strong feelings of anger at the person who killed themselves.

The only time I have seen this, personally, was a friend who took his own life a few years back. Sadly he was only in his 40's, but he was extremely ill (my guess is that it was cancer). Whatever he had, it was terminal and he chose to end it himself. His family completely understood.

One typically makes those kinds of assumptions from one's own experience. Assuming non-dysfunctional relations. But who knows?

For me, its, thankfully, not my direct experience, but that of my wife. Her brother killed himself back in '97. There were apparently no signs (though I have my doubts on that based on what I know). To this day, my MIL still can't talk about it, my cousin-in-law spent years being convinced he was just on some clandestine military op (he was in the army), and everyone in the family seems convinced he was murdered rather (a couple of them are hard core in the conspiracy camp on this).

My wife seemed to have come to terms with it more than the others, but when we started having kids a few years ago, suddenly she only wanted one. Took some time (and a lot of fights) to get to the root of the problem. While she still won't admit it, its pretty obvious that one of the reasons she was opposed to a second child is that she didn't want our first daughter to ever suffer the same loss she did.

We did end up having a second child (just 3 weeks ago as a matter of fact!), but she still has, IMO, issues in regards to her brother's death.

We did end up having a second child (just 3 weeks ago as a matter of fact!)

Congratulations!

I think more than one child in a family is good for their socialization.
I love my sister and we learned a lot from each other.

We did end up having a second child (just 3 weeks ago as a matter of fact!).

Yay!!!!

3 weeks. *Tries to remember how things were 30 years or so ago when pibbur's 2 daughters were of a comparable age.* That means he/she (heechee!!) is not able to change its diapers yet?

pibbur who realises it's not that many years until he will start using diapers again. :-(

Okay, the whole 3rd page is off topic and someone was concerned about the quality of discussions....My favorite Robin Williams movie was Jack. Loved it.

As someone who quite often takes part in thread derailments, I'm sorry. I have thought about it, and I'll be a bit more critical to what I post where hereafter.

pibbur

As someone who quite often takes part in thread derailments, I'm sorry. I have thought about it, and I'll be a bit more critical to what I post where hereafter.

pibbur

Lol, I don't care pibbur. I think, by nature, conversations spread from one topic to another. I actually prefer topics that spread out and cover a wide spectrum of thoughts. To me, this makes more sense; at least in a forum setting. It is also good to perhaps create a new topic if we want to follow a certain path that angles too strongly from the main. That way, someone can see the new thread and decide if they would like to discuss the new topic :)

For instance, Jemy might not care about Robin Williams at all, but he is vastly interested in the human condition and would likely love to discuss depression and suicide. Besides this is in the off topic forum. Who cares if an off topic thread in an off topic forum goes every which way? :)

Back
Top Bottom