3 days of hell

D

DArtagnan

Hell for DArtagnan?

When his computer doesn't work.... I've had 3 days of bad luck, since I decided to upgrade my graphics card....

Let's see if I can turn it around before the weekend and my vacation time for Skyrim...

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

This time, it was the physical SIZE of the card - that forced me to switch to my old case.

But that was just the beginning of this nightmare….

But yeah, if I'd gone for the 580 as I'd planned - I wouldn't have suffered this crap. But it wasn't in stock anywhere for the model I wanted.

ATI will find all kinds of ways to mess you up, it seems :)

This time, it was the physical SIZE of the card - that forced me to switch to my old case.

But that was just the beginning of this nightmare….

But yeah, if I'd gone for the 580 as I'd planned - I wouldn't have suffered this crap. But it wasn't in stock anywhere for the model I wanted.

ATI will find all kinds of ways to mess you up, it seems :)

I had bad experiences with both cards. Damaged or either defective. I feel your pain.

Shoulda went with Nvidia… ;)

Or even better wait for the new Nvidia Cards that ought to be around the corner.

Skyrim certainly doesn't merit an upgrade, especially if you have a 5870
(iirc DArtagnan has the same card as myself). But that is not helping any
right now I guess, sorry…

P.S I am thinking of going with Nvidia myself for the next round as it seems
that ATI is focusing in GPGPU computing (and probably ceding the performance
crown for good but thats speculation). I doubt I need to upgrade before STALKER 2
though…

Nah, I upgraded primarily for BF3 - which is the first game in ages to push my system.

But if I can't get it working before Skyrim - I'll be less than pleased. It started out as an affordable venture, but now…..

I thought this might be a thread about Hell on Wheels. ;)

Sorry to hear about your problems. I owned one ATI card a few years ago. I'll never make that mistake again. Nvidia's drivers might be a pain in the behind to load now, but out of all the cards I've owned they've given me the least amount of trouble.

Or even better wait for the new Nvidia Cards that ought to be around the corner.

Well, that depends on one's definition of "around the corner". As far as nVidia is concerned, a company rep said that they will be launching mass production of Kepler by the end of this year but that actual cards based on Kepler won't start shipping before 2012.
Rumors are that ATI will be doing a bottom to top release of their new generation, i.e. there will first be low budget to mid-range cards and the high end parts will follow later. nVidia might be planing on doing the same because there are still some issues with the new 28nm process at TSMC where both ATI and nVidia are having their chips made. Seems like there are the usual yield issues as there always are when a new production process is introduced. Naturally it is less painful and cheaper for ATI and nVidia if TSMC needs to trash the low/mid level parts than if they needed to trash the expensive high end goodies.

So all in all it may very well be that high end Kepler cards will not be available that soon. My uneducated personal guess would be that we won't be seeing high end Kepler cards (680/670 GTX) before March/April. Or at least in volume and somewhat reasonably priced. Maybe there will be limited supply earlier in 2012 already but as usual even if there were then those cards should be very hard to get and they'll be hopelessly overpriced.

Cards have names nowadays ?

Well, not really the cards but the chips and it's been going on for a while already. The last and the current gen (4xx/5xx) is named Fermi after Enrico Fermi, an Italian physicist, and the next gen will be named Kepler after Johannes Kepler, German mathematician, obviously while the generation after that one will be named Maxwell after James Clerk Maxwell, another physicist… at least if the end of the Mayan calendar does not put a premature stop to nVidia's future plans ;) .

And here I was wondering why the forum wasn't full of Dart posts about Skyrim......

I got it fixed a while ago ;)

Yeah, I'm still deep in Skyrim… Took vacation time for it, you know!

Around 40 hours into it so far - according to the savegame timer. Spent the first couple of days mostly tweaking it and getting it running properly.

I'm not ready to give my verdict yet, but I promise I will when vacation time is up :)

I tend to avoid threads on games I'm currently playing, at least when I'm into them as much as this one. I don't want to taint my first experience.

DArt will return soon enough… You've been warned!!!

You haven't been through hell until you've had to RMA 3 8800 GTS cards. Finally I gave up and just bought a new card. What blew my mind was my new cards cooling fan was about twice the size. That GTS had some engineering issues.

Actually, I've been to Hell (in Georgetown, Cayman Islands) last week, but I was there for only 20 minutes before the tour bus drove to its next destination. No joke.

Actually, I've been to Hell (in Georgetown, Cayman Islands) last week, but I was there for only 20 minutes before the tour bus drove to its next destination. No joke.

Been there myself; one of the big 'tourist' things they push down there is mailing people postcards from the 'Hell' post office.

I haven't touched ATI cards in years. I got dissatisfied with ATI in the mid 90's where every variation of an ATI card required different drivers. From an IT perspective it was a nightmare.
I switched to Matrox and then NVidia.

Back
Top Bottom