What to play next?

Londonchris

Watcher
Hi all,

Been a while since i was last here, still playing Gothic 1&2 !
However, new computer is in sight and i am deliberating wether to perservere with gothic 3 or shall i give the witcher a go instead?

I don`t feel i must play g3 just because, and with my limited playing hours and slowness (probably take a year on either game) what would you pick?

Is one significantly better/bigger than the other..
Maybe i get to do both one day, but to spend so long playing it`s a big choice for me!

Is g3 really worth the time ?

Thanks for your honest opinions :)

Hi all,
Is one significantly better/bigger than the other..
Maybe i get to do both one day, but to spend so long playing it`s a big choice for me!

Whichever one is "better/bigger" will ultimately boil down to personal preference, although Gothic 3 is definitely bigger as far as world size and game length are concerned. If you're the "explorer" type like myself, you might be a little disappointed at The Witcher's linearity in comparison to the Gothic series.

Absolutely! While most people will agree that it's not as good as the first 2 games in the series, it's still a lot of fun. You need to have a powerful computer to run it smoothly, 2 Gigs of RAM and a fast video card are a necessity for optimal results.

I say yes.

G3's problem is bugs, many of them which have been fixed by now. Beneath the bugs it's a fantastic game. If you like exploration it's one of the best games made in that regard. I just love how the freeroaming world interacts with it's quest system. As far as I concern, G3 is how a RPG should be made.
There are loads of cities and three distinct countries and you are free to walk in whatever direction you like, but each city/country have their own "situation" that you can work to solve. G3 is one of the first RPG's I experienced in which you can actually feel you are going through distinct cultures. The mentality of the far south and the far north is very different. Then there's a larger main quest that ties everything together with a very interesting twist to the storyline that was introduced in the first two games.

Depends on personal preference:
- Gothic 3: Huge, open game world. Lots of places to visit and quests to do. Story/NPCs are far not as good as in G1/2. Incredible graphics if you have a high end computer (best I've seen in any RPG; some of the places in the games, such as the waterfalls in the north of Myrtana, are simply stunning).
- The Witcher: Fairly linear progress, but quite a few non-linear quests. The game world is divided into "zones", and once you are done in certain zones you can't revisit them (the majority at least). However, the writing is great, and some of the characters you meet are very interesting.

Thanks for the info... i guess g3 will be played first then i think.
I like exploring and getting lost!

Also making sure our next comp has no issues running the latest games as smoothly as possible.

If you intend to play it on Vista, remember to lower the settings to Medium, and then tweak from there (details etc can be set to high). Some of the High settings lead to crashes.

Also, be sure to patch it with the final patch.

Hi all,

It's not. But it depends on your personal favourites. If you liked Oblivion you should like G3 as well. G3 is not like G1 or G2.

The Witcher doesn't have a open world or many, many quests. The story is linear, but there are some choices&consequences (important to the story).

So if you like open-world games like Oblivion - play G3. If you prefer RPGs with choices&consequences - play Witcher.

Wait another 2-3 months for the final G3 Community Patch.

I found G3 boring. Too much filler material in there.

No need to get two patches - there was an "official" patch (1.6) by Spellbound or some such thing, and it also contains all the community patches. However, a last one is coming (as Gorath mentioned).

Yes I have 1.6, but I don't recall it being a combination patch. I guess I just wasn't aware that they had combined them.

I say yes.

G3's problem is bugs, many of them which have been fixed by now. Beneath the bugs it's a fantastic game. If you like exploration it's one of the best games made in that regard. I just love how the freeroaming world interacts with it's quest system. As far as I concern, G3 is how a RPG should be made.
There are loads of cities and three distinct countries and you are free to walk in whatever direction you like, but each city/country have their own "situation" that you can work to solve. G3 is one of the first RPG's I experienced in which you can actually feel you are going through distinct cultures. The mentality of the far south and the far north is very different. Then there's a larger main quest that ties everything together with a very interesting twist to the storyline that was introduced in the first two games.
To each his own I guess. I didn't care at all about G1 or G2 or G3, just not my style of game. Oblivion uses a similar combat style, but I liked it much better. Still, my favorite RPGs are party based, I find single character games too restrictive.

To each his own I guess. I didn't care at all about G1 or G2 or G3, just not my style of game. Oblivion uses a similar combat style, but I liked it much better. Still, my favorite RPGs are party based, I find single character games too restrictive.
Lol I doubt you played G1&2 more than a quick try, in no way G1&G2 has a similar combat style than Oblivion.

I also prefer a bit party based CRPG.

i just finished Gothic 3 last week choosing the warrior path and if i had the time, i'd take it for a spin again with another character class and also as mentioned earlier, it's important to get the latest patch. i've been playing for slightly over a year and didn't have any major problems like crashes only a slight stuttering when venturing into areas with dense foliage.

now i'm thinking what to play next? :)

now i'm thinking what to play next?
Planescape: Torment, Mask of the Betrayer, The Witcher or first Fallout :p

With community crashes I could play on highest settings without tweaking or crashing. Yes I got vista 32 bit.

I felt like Gorath, that the game wasn't very enjoyable though. Combat was flawed and there was few interesting things to find by exploring around. Well c how the expansion turns out.

With community crashes I could play on highest settings without tweaking or crashing. Yes I got vista 32 bit.

I felt like Gorath, that the game wasn't very enjoyable though. Combat was flawed and there was few interesting things to find by exploring around. Well c how the expansion turns out.
I felt it a bit like that, perhaps try Gothic 2 with NOTR, it is much better than G3. The Witcher is also noteworthy thing despite some flaws. Neverwinter Night 2 is also rather interesting and Mask of the Betrayer hits the mind. Other than that Fallout is now quite old but the isometric grahics still look quite good and is still an amazing CRPG.

Lol I doubt you played G1&2 more than a quick try, in no way G1&G2 has a similar combat style than Oblivion.

I also prefer a bit party based CRPG.
What I meant is the single character view style where you swing your sword with your mouse, etc. Oblivion and Gothic are similar in that way, as opposed to party based games like Baldur's Gate or even KoToR, and also the Diablo style games.

Back
Top Bottom