Rebel Galaxy - Release Date and Trailer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The swashbuckling space-adventure Rebel Galaxy will be released on October 20.

Here's the trailer:

Rebel Galaxy is a swashbuckling space adventure, with action-packed combat, exploration, discovery, trade, and “negotiation” with the outlandish denizens at the edge of the known universe.

More information.

Well, I'm not a big fan of the past work of these developers, as it's been pretty shallow. Also, this is like the third company they've started in a relatively short period of time.

Doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.

Looks ok, I guess - but Freelancer had cooperative multiplayer, which was a big deal for me.

This looks like a relatively simplistic rogue-like in space, but I guess we'll see.

I think their stuff has been ok for the price point. The reason he keeps starting a new company is control. FATE sold really well and so did torchlight 2; I think fate was fine for what it was; I did not enjoy torchlight 2 that much but it was fine for a week or two. This looks more interesting but I'm sure after a few weeks it will become 'shallow' unless they add more content.

I think their stuff has been ok for the price point. The reason he keeps starting a new company is control. FATE sold really well and so did torchlight 2; I think fate was fine for what it was; I did not enjoy torchlight 2 that much but it was fine for a week or two. This looks more interesting but I'm sure after a few weeks it will become 'shallow' unless they add more content.

Travis Baldtree isn't the only person involved, you know :) Erich Schaefer is there too, and he was part of the company who made Torchlight as well.

It just has an odd smell to it.

I find it strange they are charging only 20$ for this game. I feel it is going to very simple and short if they are not trying to get more money for it.

They ahve always charged 15-20 for their games (fate, torchlight, torchlight ii and now this).

Yes but this game looks like it cost more to produce.
After they done all the models and animations I wonder how much was left for interesting game mechanics and good story.

I find it strange they are charging only 20$ for this game. I feel it is going to very simple and short if they are not trying to get more money for it.

Are you sure it's only $20? Where do you see a price listing? There's nothing on the Steam page.

They have stated it is $20. Look at the trailer for the news posting.

Ah ok, I see it's at the very end of the trailer.

I'm not familiar with this developer, but I see one of the guys (Erich Schaefer) was previously with Blizzard and had a hand in creating Diablo. He also worked on Hellgate: London as well.

The game seems interesting enough, but I read that the galaxy will be randomly generated, and I'm not a fan of random game worlds in single-player games.

Well randomly generated worlds worked great for Master of Orion and Master of Magic and Alpha Centauri. So no worries there for me.

Also I really liked Fate, and thought it was extremely solid. Although not so interested in more of the same that I bothered with Fate + and ++ (i.e. Torchlight 1 and 2).

I think randomly generated worlds work great for 4X strategy games, but Rebel Galaxy is supposed to be a hybrid of action-RPG and space sim.

They're acting as if it's going to have a strong single-player storyline, and that's where I prefer a hand-crafted world.

Looks a whole lot like Starpoint Gemini 2.

Travis Baldtree isn't the only person involved, you know :) Erich Schaefer is there too, and he was part of the company who made Torchlight as well.

It just has an odd smell to it.

They each have an interesting lineage between Schaefer co-founding Blizzard North, creating your sugar-baby Hellgate after co-founding Flagship, and after the Mythos debacle leaving to co-found Runic games with Baldtree. Baldtree is more limited in travels, but each seems to have made moves to allow for moe creative control.

That said ... I'll wait a while on this one. Like the Torchlight (and Fate, and Hellgate)games, but enough stuff in the air right now ...

They each have an interesting lineage between Schaefer co-founding Blizzard North, creating your sugar-baby Hellgate after co-founding Flagship, and after the Mythos debacle leaving to co-found Runic games with Baldtree. Baldtree is more limited in travels, but each seems to have made moves to allow for moe creative control.

That said … I'll wait a while on this one. Like the Torchlight (and Fate, and Hellgate)games, but enough stuff in the air right now …

I'm not convinced it's about creative control, though. Hellgate was made with more or less full creative control, going by the interviews I saw with the developers. It was a very relaxed environment, certainly.

Torchlight was about making a quick buck - so they could establish Runic Games properly. Torchlight 2 didn't seem like anything except exactly what they wanted to make.

I'm not sure what creative control they've been missing, but it still seems like essentially the same shallow random sort of stuff to me.

Back
Top Bottom